Oem cd clarification requested

August 19, 2005 11:45:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Oem cd clarification requested

I have read a post in the xp group that said the hardware requirement
was dropped for all windows operating system including older operating
systems like win95,98se, me, e.t.c.

Is this person correct?

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:16:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Due to legal requirements, all OEM software must be purchased
with a non-peripheral (internal) hardware item.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Greg Ro" wrote:

| Oem cd clarification requested
|
| I have read a post in the xp group that said the hardware requirement
| was dropped for all windows operating system including older operating
| systems like win95,98se, me, e.t.c.
|
| Is this person correct?
|

| Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:13:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What do you mean? Many OEM copies of operating systems are bios locked to
specific hardware and continue to be so. Or are you referring to the
requirement to also buy an item of system hardware when purchasing an OEM
version of the operating system?

Note that Microsoft and most if not all OEMs are no longer marketing Win
9x operating systems.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Greg Ro <webworm11@yes.lycos.yes.com> wrote:

> Oem cd clarification requested
>
> I have read a post in the xp group that said the hardware requirement
> was dropped for all windows operating system including older operating
> systems like win95,98se, me, e.t.c.
>
> Is this person correct?
August 19, 2005 6:13:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:13:44 +0100, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

>What do you mean? Many OEM copies of operating systems are bios locked to
>specific hardware and continue to be so. Or are you referring to the
>requirement to also buy an item of system hardware when purchasing an OEM
>version of the operating system?
>
>Note that Microsoft and most if not all OEMs are no longer marketing Win
>9x operating systems.

I mean buying an oem cd disk without hardware. Someone in the xp
group posted that an oem copy can now be sold without having the
hardware included. This person said a Microsoft person told him
this.

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:13:46 PM

Greg Ro wrote:

> I mean buying an oem cd disk without hardware. Someone in the xp
> group posted that an oem copy can now be sold without having the
> hardware included. This person said a Microsoft person told him
> this.

There are parts of the world (China, India, North Korea, some parts of
the EU, for example) that do not recognize the intellectual property and
contract laws of other nations, so yes, there are some places where one
can purchase an OEM license without an accompanying piece of
non-peripheral hardware.

To get the specifics, ask this question of the person who first made
the claim. He should be able to back up his assertion with some sort of
real documentation or a link to an official Microsoft web site that
makes such a statement. Claiming that "... a Microsoft person told
him..." isn't particularly helpful, as, for all we know, he could have
been talking to a janitor, rather than a member of Microsoft's legal staff.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:13:46 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:34:10 -0500, Greg Ro
<webworm11@yes.lycos.yes.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:13:44 +0100, "Mike M"
><No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>
>>What do you mean? Many OEM copies of operating systems are bios locked to
>>specific hardware and continue to be so. Or are you referring to the
>>requirement to also buy an item of system hardware when purchasing an OEM
>>version of the operating system?
>>
>>Note that Microsoft and most if not all OEMs are no longer marketing Win
>>9x operating systems.
>
>I mean buying an oem cd disk without hardware. Someone in the xp
>group posted that an oem copy can now be sold without having the
>hardware included. This person said a Microsoft person told him
>this.
>
>Greg Ro

Everytime I have purchased a Windows XP OEM disc, the website from
which I purchased the product required me to purchase "a hardware
product" along with the XP disc. Most of the time this meant a mouse
or power cord (they usually added a mouse or power cord for a dollar
or so to the purchase form to make it easy). Several times, the
distributor included a "hardware product" with the purchase price, so
effectively, the software was "technically" purchased without an
accompanying hardware purchase. (unless they accounted for the price
of the hardware device as part of the purchase price.)

Every statement I have seen regarding this from Microsoft people or
other experts indicated that a "hardware" purchase is a requirement
for purchasing an XP OEM disc.

I don't know about large system builders such as Gateway or Dell,
however, since I always purchase a generic OEM disc.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order
August 19, 2005 6:22:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This is a direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:

Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution

"If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
(a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral computer
hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system' means a
computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit,
a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
on which the individual license will be installed."

[end of quote]

If you are a registered Microsoft OEM System Builder, you can
read the entire licensing agreement here:
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Greg Ro" wrote:

| I mean buying an oem cd disk without hardware. Someone in the xp
| group posted that an oem copy can now be sold without having the
| hardware included. This person said a Microsoft person told him
| this.
|
| Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No, "that person" is not correct! Final and honest answer:

"Greg Ro" wrote:

| Oem cd clarification requested
|
| I have read a post in the xp group that said the hardware requirement
| was dropped for all windows operating system including older operating
| systems like win95,98se, me, e.t.c.
|
| Is this person correct?
|
| Greg Ro
August 19, 2005 7:44:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" posted the following misleading lie:

> Due to legal requirements, all OEM software must be purchased
> with a non-peripheral (internal) hardware item.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

Wrong. I have bought three and have a friend who has bought around fifity
generic OEM XPs with no hardware. In Spain and many other European
countries, OEMs are bought without any hardware and a retail rip off version
is almost impossible to find. Want urls from the major computer stores in
Spain as proof?

If you go here:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1...
you will see that Walmart sells generic OEMs with -- get this -- a
peripheral (external) mouse.

Soooooooo, your post is completely wrong. Better luck next time.

Alias

> "Greg Ro" wrote:
>
> | Oem cd clarification requested
> |
> | I have read a post in the xp group that said the hardware requirement
> | was dropped for all windows operating system including older operating
> | systems like win95,98se, me, e.t.c.
> |
> | Is this person correct?
> |

> | Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:44:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Those stores are then in violation of the marketing agreement
they have with Microsoft.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Alias" wrote:

| Wrong. I have bought three and have a friend who has bought around fifity
| generic OEM XPs with no hardware. In Spain and many other European
| countries, OEMs are bought without any hardware and a retail rip off version
| is almost impossible to find. Want urls from the major computer stores in
| Spain as proof?
|
| If you go here:
| http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1...
| you will see that Walmart sells generic OEMs with -- get this -- a
| peripheral (external) mouse.
|
| Soooooooo, your post is completely wrong. Better luck next time.
|
| Alias
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:44:06 PM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Those stores are then in violation of the marketing agreement
> they have with Microsoft.

When did you become a Judge?

--
Peace!
Kurt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I take it then that yov are fvlly conversant with and well versed in
Evropean Commvnity Law and Microsoft's term of bvsiness as applied in the
Evropean Union?
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

> Those stores are then in violation of the marketing agreement
> they have with Microsoft.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:45:30 PM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> This is a direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August
> 2005:
>
> Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution
>
> "If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
> we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
> software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
> (a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral
> computer hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system'
> means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing
> unit,
> a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
> A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
> that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
> on which the individual license will be installed."
>
> [end of quote]
>
> If you are a registered Microsoft OEM System Builder, you can
> read the entire licensing agreement here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

Of course, many countries laws and court decisions have made those
provisions of the System Builders Agreement nothing but meaningless
words.

In the US most OEM software distributers, what is a 'non-peripheral
computer hardware component' is differs. I've seen a computer case
screw sold with OEM XP, IDE cables, Power Cords . . . . most of which
didn't add more than $5 OR $10 to the price of sale.

Carey and Bruce are the two biggest "Microsoft Über Alles" a**holes in
this group, and you should generally disregard they have to say in
matters of Copyight and Contract laws, inside the US, and most
especially, anywhere outside of the US.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:50:08 PM

Donald McDaniel wrote:

> Everytime I have purchased a Windows XP OEM disc, the website from
> which I purchased the product required me to purchase "a hardware
> product" along with the XP disc. Most of the time this meant a mouse
> or power cord (they usually added a mouse or power cord for a dollar
> or so to the purchase form to make it easy). Several times, the
> distributor included a "hardware product" with the purchase price, so
> effectively, the software was "technically" purchased without an
> accompanying hardware purchase. (unless they accounted for the price
> of the hardware device as part of the purchase price.)
>
> Every statement I have seen regarding this from Microsoft people or
> other experts indicated that a "hardware" purchase is a requirement
> for purchasing an XP OEM disc.
>
> I don't know about large system builders such as Gateway or Dell,
> however, since I always purchase a generic OEM disc.

Another a**hole that doesn't take into account countries that don't have
hardware requirements due to law or court precedent.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 19, 2005 8:49:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

He obviovsly isn't as I am cvrrently vsing a legit generic OEM that I bovght
all by itself with no hardware.

How Carey became an MVP is beyond me.

Alias

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote

>I take it then that yov are fvlly conversant with and well versed in
>Evropean Commvnity Law and Microsoft's term of bvsiness as applied in the
>Evropean Union?
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Those stores are then in violation of the marketing agreement
>> they have with Microsoft.

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:49:37 PM

Alias wrote:
> He obviovsly isn't as I am cvrrently vsing a legit generic OEM that I bovght
> all by itself with no hardware.
>
> How Carey became an MVP is beyond me.
>
> Alias

<irrelevant grovps removed from this reply>

How he remains one after all the complaints abovt him is even more
mysteriovs.

Steve

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote
>

>>I take it then that yov are fvlly conversant with and well versed in
>>Evropean Commvnity Law and Microsoft's term of bvsiness as applied in the
>>Evropean Union?
>>--
>>Mike Maltby
>>mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>>Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Those stores are then in violation of the marketing agreement
>>>they have with Microsoft.

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:49:37 PM

"Alias" wrote:

> He obviously isn't as I am currently using a legit generic OEM that I bought
> all by itself with no hardware.
>
> How Carey became an MVP is beyond me.
>
> Alias
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:49:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Don't you think that posting the same post to the same thread three times is
going just a bit overboard, Carey?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 3491942-524F-41D7-AD65-EAE8BF49E654@microsoft.com...
> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:22:40 PM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Don't you think . . . ., Carey?

The answer to that more general question would be no.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:22:41 PM

kurttrail wrote:

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
>>Don't you think . . . ., Carey?
>

> The answer to that more general question would be no.

At least M$ tries to patch the holes in their OSes and programs as they
are revealed. Too bad the same can't be said for their MVP program.

:)

Steve
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:51:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Correction:

The EU certainly does have strict IP and contract laws however these are
not those of the US, a country that despite pretensions to the contrary,
does not as yet rule the world and therefore whose laws have little
applicability outside its boundaries.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> There are parts of the world (China, India, North Korea, some parts of
> the EU, for example) that do not recognize the intellectual property
> and contract laws of other nations, so yes, there are some places
> where one can purchase an OEM license without an accompanying piece of
> non-peripheral hardware.
>
> To get the specifics, ask this question of the person who first made
> the claim. He should be able to back up his assertion with some sort
> of real documentation or a link to an official Microsoft web site that
> makes such a statement. Claiming that "... a Microsoft person told
> him..." isn't particularly helpful, as, for all we know, he could have
> been talking to a janitor, rather than a member of Microsoft's legal
> staff.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:51:30 PM

Mike M wrote:
> Correction:
>
> The EU certainly does have strict IP and contract laws however these
> are not those of the US, a country that despite pretensions to the
> contrary, does not as yet rule the world and therefore whose laws
> have little applicability outside its boundaries.

Bruce's view of Copyright and Contract laws were handed down to him from
the Almighty Corporate Copyright Elite. Anything that is pro-consumer
is a heresy to his faith.

--

Mike M wrote:
> Correction:
>
> The EU certainly does have strict IP and contract laws however these
> are not those of the US, a country that despite pretensions to the
> contrary, does not as yet rule the world...

Thanks for giving at least one American citizen a very hearty laugh. ;)

> and therefore whose laws
> have little applicability outside its boundaries.
>
>> There are parts of the world (China, India, North Korea, some parts
>> of the EU, for example) that do not recognize the intellectual
>> property and contract laws of other nations, so yes, there are some
>> places where one can purchase an OEM license without an accompanying
>> piece of non-peripheral hardware.
>>
>> To get the specifics, ask this question of the person who first made
>> the claim. He should be able to back up his assertion with some sort
>> of real documentation or a link to an official Microsoft web site
>> that makes such a statement. Claiming that "... a Microsoft person
>> told him..." isn't particularly helpful, as, for all we know, he
>> could have been talking to a janitor, rather than a member of
>> Microsoft's legal staff.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:32:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Don't you just have to buy those MVP thingys?

Alias wrote:
> He obviously isn't as I am currently using a legit generic OEM that I bought
> all by itself with no hardware.
>
> How Carey became an MVP is beyond me.
>
> Alias
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:55:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That does NOT apply, since no Win Me OEM has been sold by Microsoft for
some time.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> This is a direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:
>
> Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution
>
> "If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
> we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
> software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
> (a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral computer
> hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system' means a
> computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit,
> a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
> A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
> that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
> on which the individual license will be installed."
>
> [end of quote]

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:55:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:55:39 +0100, "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>That does NOT apply, since no Win Me OEM has been sold by Microsoft for
>some time.

Actual you can still buy them on the web-I am not talking ebay.

Greg R
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:44:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You do appear to have problems in understanding that what applies in the
US may or may not apply elsewhere. Simple really but apparently something
that' appears to be way beyond your ability to comprehend. Instead you
fallback on boring everyone but repeatedly cutting and pasting the same
message irrespective of its applicability.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Carey Frisch [MVP] <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:
>
> Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution
>
> "If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
> we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
> software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
> (a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral
> computer hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system'
> means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing
> unit,
> a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
> A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
> that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
> on which the individual license will be installed."
>
> [end of quote]
>
> If you are a registered Microsoft OEM System Builder, you can
> read the entire licensing agreement here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx
August 20, 2005 1:44:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It has been my experience with activating OEM the only two
things that _Microsoft_ wants to know is if the OEM came
preinstalled and if it is installed on one machine.
I don't know where these people are coming up with all this
hoo haa about this.

> You do appear to have problems in understanding that what applies in the
> US may or may not apply elsewhere. Simple really but apparently something
> that' appears to be way beyond your ability to comprehend. Instead you
> fallback on boring everyone but repeatedly cutting and pasting the same
> message irrespective of its applicability.
> --
> Mike Maltby
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Carey Frisch [MVP] <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:
>>
>> Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution
>>
>> "If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
>> we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
>> software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
>> (a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral
>> computer hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system'
>> means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing
>> unit,
>> a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
>> A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
>> that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
>> on which the individual license will be installed."
>>
>> [end of quote]
>>
>> If you are a registered Microsoft OEM System Builder, you can
>> read the entire licensing agreement here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

August 20, 2005 2:47:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> This is a direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:
>
> Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution
>
> "If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
> we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
> software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
> (a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral computer
> hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system' means a
> computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit,
> a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
> A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
> that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
> on which the individual license will be installed."
>
> [end of quote]
>
> If you are a registered Microsoft OEM System Builder, you can
> read the entire licensing agreement here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

Um, mine doesn't say that, either in English or Spanish. Remember, Carey,
you are posting on an international board, not in "America". So, when you
try to give advice, check everything out, not just what's in your Favorites
folder.

Alias

> "Greg Ro" wrote:
>
> | I mean buying an oem cd disk without hardware. Someone in the xp
> | group posted that an oem copy can now be sold without having the
> | hardware included. This person said a Microsoft person told him
> | this.
> |
> | Greg Ro
August 20, 2005 2:51:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That is an agreement between MS and builders like Dell, you moron!

Individual builders that build their own computers DO NOT have to buy
hardware with their XP purchase in all countries and in the USA, you can get
them with a mouse like at Walmarts, the url of which I already posted and
you chose to ignore that and spam the newsgroup with an irrevelant post.

Alias
news:o ihz5vPpFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> No, "that person" is not correct! Final and honest answer:
>
> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:
>
> Paragraph 4.1 - Software Distribution
>
> "If the individual software license is a desktop operating system,
> we (Microsoft) grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual
> software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either
> (a) a 'fully assembled computer system' or (b) a 'non-peripheral computer
> hardware component'. A 'fully assembled computer system' means a
> computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit,
> a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
> A 'non-peripheral computer hardware component' means a component
> that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system
> on which the individual license will be installed."
>
> [end of quote]
>
> If you are a registered Microsoft OEM System Builder, you can
> read the entire licensing agreement here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Greg Ro" wrote:
>
> | Oem cd clarification requested
> |
> | I have read a post in the xp group that said the hardware requirement
> | was dropped for all windows operating system including older operating
> | systems like win95,98se, me, e.t.c.
> |
> | Is this person correct?
> |
> | Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:51:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Anyone that wishes to purchase and distribute Microsoft OEM licenses must
register as a "System Builder" with Microsoft, regardless if they really
never intend to build a computer. The license agreement I referenced is what
the registered System Builder agreed to. If they choose to discredit their
veracity by ignoring what they agreed to, then they have an ethical issue.
If Walmart wants you to purchase a mouse, instead of a 5 cent internal audio
cable, then they have an "ethical issue" since they are forcing you to spend
more money then you really have to in order to comply with the agreement.

The System Builder agreement reads the same, regardless of the country the
System Builder resides in. I just translated the Spanish version and it
reads the same as the English version.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Alias" wrote:

> That is an agreement between MS and builders like Dell, you moron!
>
> Individual builders that build their own computers DO NOT have to buy
> hardware with their XP purchase in all countries and in the USA, you can get
> them with a mouse like at Walmarts, the url of which I already posted and
> you chose to ignore that and spam the newsgroup with an irrevelant post.
>
> Alias
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:51:47 AM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Anyone that wishes to purchase and distribute Microsoft OEM licenses must
> register as a "System Builder" with Microsoft, regardless if they really
> never intend to build a computer. The license agreement I referenced is what
> the registered System Builder agreed to. If they choose to discredit their
> veracity by ignoring what they agreed to, then they have an ethical issue.
> If Walmart wants you to purchase a mouse, instead of a 5 cent internal audio
> cable, then they have an "ethical issue" since they are forcing you to spend
> more money then you really have to in order to comply with the agreement.
>
> The System Builder agreement reads the same, regardless of the country the
> System Builder resides in. I just translated the Spanish version and it
> reads the same as the English version.

The bottom line really depends not on the literal translation
of the written agreement but the civil codes, regulations and
laws of the governing authority (or authorities) under which the
agreement is enacted. Thus, any enforcement would be different
in many parts of the world unless the agreement between the
business partners (viz., Microsoft and its partners) are in the
specific legal language and context of the area in which it is
undertaken. IIRC, Microsoft has yet to win a major court case
concerning enforcement of its agreements outside of the US and
it even lost some of these within the US...er, anti-trust, is
it?

Got that, Carey? For example, it is possible to drive a
Porsche 930 beyond 180 MPH on the Autobahn but one cannot
legally exceed 75 MPH anywhere in the United States, including
Montana. Or did you know that North of the 49th Parallel, there
are "fair use" provisions for leased or licensed intellectual
property, provisions that do not exist in the United States?
But, true, the written agreement is the same.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:51:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Should you have any questions concerning your EULA, or if you
desire to contact Microsoft for any reason, please write:

Microsoft Corporation
Legal Department
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ghostrider" wrote:

| The bottom line really depends not on the literal translation
| of the written agreement but the civil codes, regulations and
| laws of the governing authority (or authorities) under which the
| agreement is enacted. Thus, any enforcement would be different
| in many parts of the world unless the agreement between the
| business partners (viz., Microsoft and its partners) are in the
| specific legal language and context of the area in which it is
| undertaken. IIRC, Microsoft has yet to win a major court case
| concerning enforcement of its agreements outside of the US and
| it even lost some of these within the US...er, anti-trust, is
| it?
|
| Got that, Carey? For example, it is possible to drive a
| Porsche 930 beyond 180 MPH on the Autobahn but one cannot
| legally exceed 75 MPH anywhere in the United States, including
| Montana. Or did you know that North of the 49th Parallel, there
| are "fair use" provisions for leased or licensed intellectual
| property, provisions that do not exist in the United States?
| But, true, the written agreement is the same.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:53:15 AM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Should you have any questions concerning your EULA, or if you
> desire to contact Microsoft for any reason, please write:
>
> Microsoft Corporation
> Legal Department
> One Microsoft Way
> Redmond, WA 98052-6399.

The point being discussed is the universality of the so-called
agreements you cite. That is, why should one contact Microsoft
counsel in Redmond, Washington, when the issue being debated
is over legal interpretation in Frankfurt, Germany, or Madrid,
Spain or Timbuktu? But if one wishes to consider the fortunes
of legalities, there is one interesting, universal constant and
Microsoft is considered a predator, anti-trust monopolist not
only by legal entities in the United States but also by the EU.

Touche, Carey.
August 20, 2005 6:17:56 AM

> Anyone that wishes to purchase and distribute Microsoft OEM licenses must
> register as a "System Builder" with Microsoft, regardless if they really
> never intend to build a computer.

Not in Spain.

> The license agreement I referenced is what
> the registered System Builder agreed to. If they choose to discredit
> their
> veracity by ignoring what they agreed to, then they have an ethical issue.
> If Walmart wants you to purchase a mouse, instead of a 5 cent internal
> audio
> cable, then they have an "ethical issue" since they are forcing you to
> spend
> more money then you really have to in order to comply with the agreement.
>
> The System Builder agreement reads the same, regardless of the country the
> System Builder resides in. I just translated the Spanish version and it
> reads the same as the English version.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User

Not in Spain. You probably read the Latin American version, although you
would probably consider Latin Americans "unethical" because piracy is
rampant there. The fact that poverty is also rampant wouldn't disturb your
self righteous moral self one iota, I am sure.

I offered to show you URLS of some major RETAIL computer store chains where
ALL of them ONLY sell OEMs. NONE of them sell the overpriced RETAIL. They
sell DIRECTLY TO THE PUBLIC and none, I repeat, none of them require that
you buy even a screw.

Did I go slow enough for you, Carey or should I post it three times?

Oh, and MS, for some reason, keeps restocking them with not so much as a
Genuine peep. I suppose it's due to the fact that they sell a lot of them?

Alias

> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> That is an agreement between MS and builders like Dell, you moron!
>>
>> Individual builders that build their own computers DO NOT have to buy
>> hardware with their XP purchase in all countries and in the USA, you can
>> get
>> them with a mouse like at Walmarts, the url of which I already posted and
>> you chose to ignore that and spam the newsgroup with an irrevelant post.
>>
>> Alias

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:53:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No I don't think it is. Microsoft has a habit of sleazy behaviour. In fact they will choose sleaze even if not to their advantage. They KNOW about this (and have for over a year). Yet they do nothing.

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23sNp75PpFHA.3036@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Don't you think that posting the same post to the same thread three times is
> going just a bit overboard, Carey?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 3491942-524F-41D7-AD65-EAE8BF49E654@microsoft.com...
>> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:53:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You lost me, David. What "sleazy behavior" are you referring to? That MS
doesn't enforce its own licensing in the OEM arena? Or what?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o VkyyhQpFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
No I don't think it is. Microsoft has a habit of sleazy behaviour. In fact
they will choose sleaze even if not to their advantage. They KNOW about this
(and have for over a year). Yet they do nothing.

> Don't you think that posting the same post to the same thread three times
> is
> going just a bit overboard, Carey?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 3491942-524F-41D7-AD65-EAE8BF49E654@microsoft.com...
>> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:59:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

A cable doesn't qualify. As Walmart is selling something they are not allowed to therefore they can't license. Therefore all walmart customers are pirates.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message news:2DBF9DEE-7EE7-4801-8524-404C4FCCD517@microsoft.com...
> Anyone that wishes to purchase and distribute Microsoft OEM licenses must
> register as a "System Builder" with Microsoft, regardless if they really
> never intend to build a computer. The license agreement I referenced is what
> the registered System Builder agreed to. If they choose to discredit their
> veracity by ignoring what they agreed to, then they have an ethical issue.
> If Walmart wants you to purchase a mouse, instead of a 5 cent internal audio
> cable, then they have an "ethical issue" since they are forcing you to spend
> more money then you really have to in order to comply with the agreement.
>
> The System Builder agreement reads the same, regardless of the country the
> System Builder resides in. I just translated the Spanish version and it
> reads the same as the English version.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>

> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> That is an agreement between MS and builders like Dell, you moron!
>>
>> Individual builders that build their own computers DO NOT have to buy
>> hardware with their XP purchase in all countries and in the USA, you can get
>> them with a mouse like at Walmarts, the url of which I already posted and
>> you chose to ignore that and spam the newsgroup with an irrevelant post.
>>
>> Alias

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:59:19 AM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:59:18 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>A cable doesn't qualify.
>As Walmart is selling something they are not allowed to therefore they can't license.
>Therefore all walmart customers are pirates.
Either four things possible with walmart.com

Microsoft allowed them to sell the oem with just a mouse legally.
Microsoft lawyers are scared of Walmart lawyers-just look at the Visa
Mastercard lawsuit.
Microsoft & Walmart use the same lawyers.

Greg Ro
August 20, 2005 11:59:20 AM

"GregRo" <webworm11@y.lycos.com> wrote

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:59:18 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
>
>>A cable doesn't qualify.
>>As Walmart is selling something they are not allowed to therefore they
>>can't license.
>>Therefore all walmart customers are pirates.
> Either four things possible with walmart.com
>
> Microsoft allowed them to sell the oem with just a mouse legally.
> Microsoft lawyers are scared of Walmart lawyers-just look at the Visa
> Mastercard lawsuit.
> Microsoft & Walmart use the same lawyers.
>

> Greg Ro

How about, Microsoft and Walmart make a lot of money together selling OEMs?
Personally, I think it's a good sign that people are learning how to build
their own computers, after learning that an HP, eMachine, or whatever isn't
where it's at.

Alias
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:19:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well there is a lot but I was specifically refering to ripping off honest customers by being too scared to take on walmart.

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eZT1$mQpFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You lost me, David. What "sleazy behavior" are you referring to? That MS
> doesn't enforce its own licensing in the OEM arena? Or what?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o VkyyhQpFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No I don't think it is. Microsoft has a habit of sleazy behaviour. In fact
> they will choose sleaze even if not to their advantage. They KNOW about this
> (and have for over a year). Yet they do nothing.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> Don't you think that posting the same post to the same thread three times
>> is
>> going just a bit overboard, Carey?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 3491942-524F-41D7-AD65-EAE8BF49E654@microsoft.com...
>>> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:19:35 PM

David Candy wrote:
> Well there is a lot but I was specifically refering to ripping off
> honest customers by being too scared to take on walmart.

MS will not rock the boat with any major US corporation until they
aren't under the watchful eye of US anti-trust regulators.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:19:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks! Just wanted to be clear.
--

Well there is a lot but I was specifically refering to ripping off honest
customers by being too scared to take on walmart.

> You lost me, David. What "sleazy behavior" are you referring to? That MS
> doesn't enforce its own licensing in the OEM arena? Or what?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o VkyyhQpFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> No I don't think it is. Microsoft has a habit of sleazy behaviour. In fact
> they will choose sleaze even if not to their advantage. They KNOW about
> this
> (and have for over a year). Yet they do nothing.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> Don't you think that posting the same post to the same thread three times
>> is
>> going just a bit overboard, Carey?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 3491942-524F-41D7-AD65-EAE8BF49E654@microsoft.com...
>>> Direct quote from the OEM license agreement dated August 2005:

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I feel sorry for Carey and others. MS manipulates them but won't stand up for themselves.

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message news:e4cJg2QpFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> David Candy wrote:
>> Well there is a lot but I was specifically refering to ripping off
>> honest customers by being too scared to take on walmart.
>
> MS will not rock the boat with any major US corporation until they
> aren't under the watchful eye of US anti-trust regulators.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

FYI, no one manipulates me. I answer questions to the best of my
knowledge. However, I tend not to respond to the TROLLS since
they hardly ever add any value to the newsgroup experience and have
their own perverse agenda. The time taken to defend one's self from
TROLLS is better spent helping others who visit these newsgroups
seeking technical, not philosophical, advice.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"David Candy" wrote:

I feel sorry for Carey and others. MS manipulates them but won't stand up for themselves.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:58 PM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> FYI, no one manipulates me. I answer questions to the best of my
> knowledge. However, I tend not to respond to the TROLLS since
> they hardly ever add any value to the newsgroup experience and have
> their own perverse agenda. The time taken to defend one's self from
> TROLLS is better spent helping others who visit these newsgroups
> seeking technical, not philosophical, advice.

You also don't take the time to respond to challenges from your peers
when they catch you posting inaccurate information, irrelevant url
copy-paste habits, and the many contradictions, some times outright
lies, and potentially damaging advice you give.

Your obvious lack of respect for your peers, refusal to admit to your
errors, and your terribly obvious over-the-edge advocacy of MS products
and open ridicule of alternative operating systems does more to detract
from the value of this newsgroup experience than most of the things
posted by those you call "trolls". At least they have some entertainment
value at times.

Steve
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:59 PM

I have my set of values, and you apparently have
your own set of values which offer nothing to
those who are seeking sound technical advice.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Steve N." wrote:

| You also don't take the time to respond to challenges from your peers
| when they catch you posting inaccurate information, irrelevant url
| copy-paste habits, and the many contradictions, some times outright
| lies, and potentially damaging advice you give.
|
| Your obvious lack of respect for your peers, refusal to admit to your
| errors, and your terribly obvious over-the-edge advocacy of MS products
| and open ridicule of alternative operating systems does more to detract
| from the value of this newsgroup experience than most of the things
| posted by those you call "trolls". At least they have some entertainment
| value at times.
|
| Steve
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:41:59 PM

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Friday 19 August 2005 04:13 pm, Steve N. had this
to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> FYI, no one manipulates me. I answer questions to the best of my
>> knowledge. However, I tend not to respond to the TROLLS since
>> they hardly ever add any value to the newsgroup experience and have
>> their own perverse agenda. The time taken to defend one's self from
>> TROLLS is better spent helping others who visit these newsgroups
>> seeking technical, not philosophical, advice.
>>

> You also don't take the time to respond to challenges from your peers
> when they catch you posting inaccurate information, irrelevant url
> copy-paste habits, and the many contradictions, some times outright
> lies, and potentially damaging advice you give.
>
> Your obvious lack of respect for your peers, refusal to admit to your
> errors, and your terribly obvious over-the-edge advocacy of MS products
> and open ridicule of alternative operating systems does more to detract
> from the value of this newsgroup experience than most of the things
> posted by those you call "trolls". At least they have some entertainment
> value at times.
>
> Steve

Want to see me tap dance as well?

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> I have my set of values, and you apparently have
> your own set of values which offer nothing to
> those who are seeking sound technical advice.

LOL! If I were seeeking sound technical advice, I'd want it from
someone that actually has done things with computers. You sole computer
talent is cutting and pasting other people's answers. Most of the time
you do reply to real criticism, you prove that you you do not know from
your own experience what you are talking about, but are just
regurgitating what you have heard or read from others.

Take for example this thread. You take MS's written word as law, and
don't take into account the local laws and court decisions of other
countries. It is well know that OEM copies in countries other than the
US, there is no hardware requirement, despite what is written in MS's
System Builders Agreement.

Instead of living and learning, you firmly tuck your head up your ass,
while calling anyone, that says anything different than you, a troll.
You are an ignornant fool, and the most disrespected MVP MS has ever
rewarded.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:54:58 PM

He's learnt a lot you know. He knows more than me on a few things now. Your comments are true but so what. I can live with it. He hasn't annoyed me at all for well over a year. I can live with him.

!