Sign in with
Your question

SFC found corrupt files it can't fix

Tags:
October 30, 2012 7:49:45 AM

After running an SFC scan I received the message: "resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." That makes it sound like there are multiple corrupt files; however, searching the log for "cannot repair" I found only this:

000000d1 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:16{8}]"apss.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Help-StorageLayer, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Googling "apss.dll" I was unable to find any substantial information.

I've run multiple anti-virus and spyware programs, including trend micro's online scan, which aren't finding anything.

I'm guessing this file might have gotten corrupted at some point as the result of a Windows update, but, if that's the case, I have no idea which one could be the culprit.

Is there a way to repair the file on my own, using my Windows 7 Disc? And if not, does this kind of message call for a re-installation of my system?

I am not getting blue screens or receiving any error messages during general use of my system, and so far as I can see my everyday use is not being affected by this corrupt file, so I would like to know if I can dismiss this message without worrying, or if it is likely to pose a serious problem at any point.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer guidance on this issue.
!