"warning your computer may be at risk" norton av

I've just noticed ( I dont normally watch the screen while booting) that
when windows starts I get a warning flag at the lower left screen saying
"warning your computer may be at risk" and reporting that norton auto
protect isnt on. This only lasts a few moments until the autoprotect icon
arrives in the tool bar.

I gather its a sp2 glitch? Am I actually at risk for those few seconds and
if so how can I deal with it. And how do I stop the annoying flag if its
just being trigger happy.

TIA

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:39:50 +0100, "Spikey"
<hedge_hogg@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote:

>I've just noticed ( I dont normally watch the screen while booting) that
>when windows starts I get a warning flag at the lower left screen saying
>"warning your computer may be at risk" and reporting that norton auto
>protect isnt on. This only lasts a few moments until the autoprotect icon
>arrives in the tool bar.
>
>I gather its a sp2 glitch? Am I actually at risk for those few seconds and
>if so how can I deal with it. And how do I stop the annoying flag if its
>just being trigger happy.
>
>TIA

Open the Security Center (Control Panel/Security Center)
Under the "Resources" area click on the option
"Change the way Security Center alerts me"
Uncheck the box for virus protection

This will get rid of the alert.

Spikey wrote:

> I gather its a sp2 glitch? Am I actually at risk for those few seconds and
> if so how can I deal with it. And how do I stop the annoying flag if its
> just being trigger happy.

You're always at risk no matter what you are running. Best bet is smart
use.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

In article <umuZ7NMpFHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Spikey"
<hedge_hogg@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote:
>I've just noticed ( I dont normally watch the screen while booting) that
>when windows starts I get a warning flag at the lower left screen saying
>"warning your computer may be at risk" and reporting that norton auto
>protect isnt on. This only lasts a few moments until the autoprotect icon
>arrives in the tool bar.
>
>I gather its a sp2 glitch? Am I actually at risk for those few seconds and
>if so how can I deal with it. And how do I stop the annoying flag if its
>just being trigger happy.
>
>TIA

This is a common occurrence, probably caused by the Windows Security
Center starting up before Norton Antivirus has had a chance to report
that it's running. The simplest solution is to just ignore it.

I think there's a setting in Norton Antivirus that lets it give
security messages instead of the Windows Security Center.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

TRENDING THREADS