Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Dell laptop/notebooks

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
April 25, 2004 2:02:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after a
centrino machine in particular.

Thanks in advance.

More about : dell laptop notebooks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 2:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Malcolm wrote:
> Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
> a centrino machine in particular.

Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does what
you want it to.

For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower 11b
wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the front.
Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get the
Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.

Regards,

Pete.
April 25, 2004 2:39:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dothan CPU upgrades (2mb cache) due May/june - thats all


"Peter Connolly" <newsgroupsdemon@removethisbitacutecomputing.co.uk> wrote
in message news:c6emq4$f62$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Malcolm wrote:
> > Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
> > a centrino machine in particular.
>
> Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does what
> you want it to.
>
> For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower 11b
> wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the front.
> Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get
the
> Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.
>
>
Related resources
April 25, 2004 6:49:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

True, but as you likely know it's also a different processor entirely.
While you don't want to get hung up on the Centrino badge, you do want to
look for the Pentium-M processor (if that's what you're after). Dothan will
be out soon (end of May?), should offer a slight jump over the previous
processors. I'd definetly recommend waiting for them. There's more coming
down the pike at the end of the year.


"Peter Connolly" <newsgroupsdemon@removethisbitacutecomputing.co.uk> wrote
in message news:c6emq4$f62$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Malcolm wrote:
> > Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
> > a centrino machine in particular.
>
> Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does what
> you want it to.
>
> For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower 11b
> wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the front.
> Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get
the
> Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.
>
>
April 25, 2004 2:55:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for all the comments. I did sub-consciously mix up centrino with
Pentium-M and I agree with the point about the superior wireless card etc.
I was just trying to avoid buying a new machine with a better one released
next week although this can always happen !

Incidentally, are you happy with the D505 in terms of performance and build
quality ?

Thanks,

Malcolm

"Thomas" <lw_elite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:SGFic.67722$L31.2295@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> True, but as you likely know it's also a different processor entirely.
> While you don't want to get hung up on the Centrino badge, you do want to
> look for the Pentium-M processor (if that's what you're after). Dothan
will
> be out soon (end of May?), should offer a slight jump over the previous
> processors. I'd definetly recommend waiting for them. There's more
coming
> down the pike at the end of the year.
>
>
> "Peter Connolly" <newsgroupsdemon@removethisbitacutecomputing.co.uk> wrote
> in message news:c6emq4$f62$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> > Malcolm wrote:
> > > Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
> > > a centrino machine in particular.
> >
> > Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does
what
> > you want it to.
> >
> > For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower
11b
> > wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the
front.
> > Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get
> the
> > Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Pete.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 9:08:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Malcolm wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments. I did sub-consciously mix up centrino
> with Pentium-M and I agree with the point about the superior wireless
> card etc. I was just trying to avoid buying a new machine with a
> better one released next week although this can always happen !
>
> Incidentally, are you happy with the D505 in terms of performance and
> build quality ?

I'm very happy with it. It doesn't have the wide-screen that other Dell
laptops have, but part of my requirements was that it had to fit in my
existing bag. The resolution of 1400 x 1050 makes up for that, and I can run
a second LCD through the VGA port.

The only minor (very minor) problem is that the left-hand side of the wrist
rest gets very hot, because it has the hard disk underneath; it can get
uncomfortable. But I wouldn't expect that that could be fixed, so I'm not
calling it in.

In terms of speed, the 1.6 Mobile Pentium seems to be about the same as a
Pentium4 2.8GHz, and the 512Mb memory is fine for now - but I got the memory
in one slot, so I have the opportunity to double it if I think I need a
boost.

Appearence-wise, it is silver with silver-grey trim. Much better than the
horrible blue and silver they've used on some other machines.

Overall, I'm extremely happy that I made this purchase. I wasn't aware of
any other new processors arriving in the next few months, but for tax
purposes I would have had to purchase in March anyway.

Regards,

Pete.
May 12, 2004 3:09:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Sun, 25
Apr 2004 17:23:14 +0100 or thereabouts, "Malcolm"
<malc@stoneyb.freeserve.co.uk> wrote the following intercepted missive:

>saw a 8600 centrino widescreen at work and thought nice and **light????

No, nice, but NOT light!

--





CUL8R



R*Horse



www.sonic.net/~lkokot



"Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
recognize this country, don't you?"

"Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
wonderful - and unexpected."

Mark Twain
Life on the Mississippi
!