New Dell laptop/notebooks

Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after a
centrino machine in particular.

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about dell laptop notebooks

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
    > a centrino machine in particular.

    Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does what
    you want it to.

    For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower 11b
    wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the front.
    Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get the
    Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Dothan CPU upgrades (2mb cache) due May/june - thats all

    "Peter Connolly" <newsgroupsdemon@removethisbitacutecomputing.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:c6emq4$f62$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
    > Malcolm wrote:
    > > Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
    > > a centrino machine in particular.
    >
    > Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does what
    > you want it to.
    >
    > For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower 11b
    > wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the front.
    > Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get
    the
    > Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Pete.

    True, but as you likely know it's also a different processor entirely.
    While you don't want to get hung up on the Centrino badge, you do want to
    look for the Pentium-M processor (if that's what you're after). Dothan will
    be out soon (end of May?), should offer a slight jump over the previous
    processors. I'd definetly recommend waiting for them. There's more coming
    down the pike at the end of the year.

    "Peter Connolly" <newsgroupsdemon@removethisbitacutecomputing.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:c6emq4$f62$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
    > Malcolm wrote:
    > > Are any new Dell laptops imminent, e.g. the next 3 months. I'm after
    > > a centrino machine in particular.
    >
    > Centrino is a marketing brand only. Instead, buy a machine that does what
    > you want it to.
    >
    > For example, I own a Dell Latitude D505. If I had gone for the slower 11b
    > wireless card, it would have had a nice shiny Centrino badge on the front.
    > Because I went for a more useful (and faster) 11a,b,g card, I don't get
    the
    > Centrino badge, even though everything else is the same.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Pete.

    Thanks for all the comments. I did sub-consciously mix up centrino with
    Pentium-M and I agree with the point about the superior wireless card etc.
    I was just trying to avoid buying a new machine with a better one released
    next week although this can always happen !

    Incidentally, are you happy with the D505 in terms of performance and build
    quality ?

    Thanks,

    Malcolm

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Thanks for all the comments. I did sub-consciously mix up centrino
    > with Pentium-M and I agree with the point about the superior wireless
    > card etc. I was just trying to avoid buying a new machine with a
    > better one released next week although this can always happen !
    >
    > Incidentally, are you happy with the D505 in terms of performance and
    > build quality ?

    I'm very happy with it. It doesn't have the wide-screen that other Dell
    laptops have, but part of my requirements was that it had to fit in my
    existing bag. The resolution of 1400 x 1050 makes up for that, and I can run
    a second LCD through the VGA port.

    The only minor (very minor) problem is that the left-hand side of the wrist
    rest gets very hot, because it has the hard disk underneath; it can get
    uncomfortable. But I wouldn't expect that that could be fixed, so I'm not
    calling it in.

    In terms of speed, the 1.6 Mobile Pentium seems to be about the same as a
    Pentium4 2.8GHz, and the 512Mb memory is fine for now - but I got the memory
    in one slot, so I have the opportunity to double it if I think I need a
    boost.

    Appearence-wise, it is silver with silver-grey trim. Much better than the
    horrible blue and silver they've used on some other machines.

    Overall, I'm extremely happy that I made this purchase. I wasn't aware of
    any other new processors arriving in the next few months, but for tax
    purposes I would have had to purchase in March anyway.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    It has been reported by the Department of Homeland Security that on Sun, 25
    Apr 2004 17:23:14 +0100 or thereabouts, "Malcolm"
    <malc@stoneyb.freeserve.co.uk> wrote the following intercepted missive:

    >saw a 8600 centrino widescreen at work and thought nice and **light????

    No, nice, but NOT light!

    --

    CUL8R

    R*Horse

    www.sonic.net/~lkokot

    "Take a look behind you - upstream - now you begin to
    recognize this country, don't you?"

    "Yes, I do recognize it now. It is the most wonderful
    thing I ever heard of; by a long shot the most
    wonderful - and unexpected."

    Mark Twain
    Life on the Mississippi

Dell Laptops Notebooks Computers