multi-user account Yahoo Messenger startup problem

Julie

I am the administrator of the computer but I have child logons for my kids.
I want Yahoo messenger to open at startup for me but not for them. How do I
get it to stop starting up when they logon byt keep starting up when I logon
.... YM doesn't appear to have this as a preference.

Julie,

Startup entries present in the following locations are applicable for all
the users
Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Folder : C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

This applies to the Current User profile only:
Registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Folder : C:\documents and settings\{username}\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You need to move the Yahoo! Messenger shortcut from All Users area to the
current user.

A definition of the Run keys in the Windows XP registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314866

To automate, you can use the "Flip Startup Items" (Version 1.1.0.2) utility
from Spencer Schroeder.

http://crazyone.tekmasters.com/crazyone.html

Quote from that page:

Experienced users who understand how Windows uses the registry and the
Startup folder for launching programs when Windows starts should only use
this utility. And understands what All Users and Current User mean. The
basic premise of this utility is to Flip the explicitly selected startup
items in the chosen list to the other list. In this case there are two
lists. The Startup Items for All Users and Startup Items for the Current
User. Keep in mind if you flip items from the All User list to the Current
User list then those items will no longer be listed in the All User List
once Flip Startup Items has been shutdown. Hence you can only at this time
Flip items from the All Users list to only one Current User. Plus the
Current User should have administrative privileges for registry read/write
access to the startup items. And full permissions to the Startup folders.
To use first choose which list you want to Flip from by clicking on one of
the two text items you see in the center left of the Flip Startup Items
screen there are two choices

Flip All To Current (Will flip the chosen items in the "Startups for all
users" list to the "Startups current all user" list)
Flip Current to All (Will flip the chosen items in the "Startups for current
user" list to the "Startups for all users" list)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"julie" <julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am the administrator of the computer but I have child logons for my kids.
> I want Yahoo messenger to open at startup for me but not for them. How do
> get it to stop starting up when they logon byt keep starting up when I
> logon
> ... YM doesn't appear to have this as a preference.

hia i just want to say a big well done to you because this is a brilliant website from lauren oatway