Will Intel release any more 533 FSB P4's?

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
As per subject: <b>Will Intel release any more 533 FSB P4's?</b>

Hopefully slower and faster ones, and much more importantly CHEAPER ones with Hyperthreading!

<i>Edit: Fixed subject of post</i>

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by basmic on 06/17/03 12:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
No, it seems unlikely that they will release any more 533 FSB's. At least from what I've heard.

My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / Soltek 75FRN-RL /
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / W.Digital Raptor / Hercules GTXP SC /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
I'm considering buying an P4 with 800 FSB HT CPU, and "underclocking" it to 533 FSB. Seems as though it's my best bet for now, until I can be bothered to fork out more dosh to replace my 4 month old mobo. :frown:

I guess I bought this motherboard at the wrong time. :redface:

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
I have an <A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=313&MODEL=MS-6566E" target="_new">MSI 6566E 845E Max</A> motherboard.

RAM wise, I have <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT6464Z335&cat=RAM" target="_new">512MB Crucial DDR PC2700</A>. While looking just then, I got pissed off as I saw some PC3200 sticks <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=MSI+(Micro+Star)++Motherboards&mfr=MSI+(Micro+Star)&cat=RAM&model=MS-6566E+(845E+Max)&submit=Go" target="_new">here</A>. :mad: Oh well, [~peep~] happens! I just hope my PC2700 might clock enough if I do get a P4 with HT!

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Hi! Went to the MSI site and took a quick look at the mobo and it's CPU support, from what I saw it DOSEN´T SUPPORT HYPERTHREADING! Look at this link: (bottom of the page)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/cpu_support/cpu/spt_cpu_detail.php?UID=313 &NAME=MS-6566E

Allthough, if you look at this link, one might get another idea:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/cpu_support/cpu/spt_cpu_list.php

(find your board and click the link, BUT when doing so there comes a: "page not found error"). Also if you look at the BIOS avalible for your board you can't find anything about HT!

But not everything is lost, check THIS THG article for more info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030527/index.html

Anyway GL

Turk

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
[~peep~][~peep~][~peep~][~peep~][~peep~][~peep~]

Any mods/hacks to force it to take HT P4's?

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't such an underclock result in, like 1.5 Ghz if the CPU is, let's say a P4 2.4, with 800 FSB? In that case, you could of course clock the CPU back to it's rated speed, and you wouldn't lose as much performance. But that's overclocking again, something that I don't usually recommend anymore because of recent small but yet thoughful events :p

If I were you, I'd wait, and when I could afford it, I'd buy a new CPU and mainboard at the same time, to avoid hassles.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 800 FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / ASUS P4P800 / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sabbath1 on 06/24/03 11:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Any mods/hacks to force it to take HT P4's?
Yeah. Put the CPU in the motherboard.

:p

Serously though, you can run a P4 without using it's HT ability. And you could either underclock the P4 (which would be really crappy performance since a P4C 3.0GHz would be a P4B 2.0GHz) or overclock your mobo (and in your case RAM since you don't have PC3200).

<i>Or</i> you can buy a new mobo, new RAM, and a new processor.

Frankly though I don't really get the point of this all. Is the performance of a P4B <i>so</i> bad that you can't just live with that until you have enough money to practically build a whole new system? (Which is the only way that you're not going to have to OC or UC anything.)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
Well I guess I'm a little pissed off that my 3-4 month old motherboard isn't up to what I want it to do any more! Not meaning to be sarcastic, but have you ever bought something only to find the next week that company <i>X</i> are releasing something else which makes the new piece of equipment look [~peep~]?

I wanted a Pentium 4, to replace this Celeron. The benefits and performance boosts from Hyper-Threading I have seen many people boast about, has only made me dribble quicker! I guess THG is a drug in it's own way, and potentially harmfull! :smile:

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
Sig change time - to celebrate my recent ranking boost to an <b>enthusiast</b>....wahey! :smile:

<font color=orange><b> :smile: I guess THG is a drug in it's own way, and potentially harmfull! :smile: </b></font color=orange>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well I guess I'm a little pissed off that my 3-4 month old motherboard isn't up to what I want it to do any more! Not meaning to be sarcastic, but have you ever bought something only to find the next week that company X are releasing something else which makes the new piece of equipment look [~peep~]?
Welcome to PC ownership. There is always something new right around the next corner. You can try to research what is coming out and prepare, but for the most part you're just pretty screwed. That's just life. :(

For example, I really want a new PC badly. (I'm still running a Celeron 500 with PCI Savage4 graphics.) I just may finally have the money to get a new system. I'll probably toss a P4C 2.6GHz into it, even though just around the bend is Prescott, and just a little further is a CPU socket change, DDRII, PCI-X graphics, GDDR for graphics cards, etc., etc. That'll make my CPU, mobo, RAM, and video card all completely obsolete just a year after I buy my system.

I <i>could</i> get pissed that I have to either wait a year to buy new parts or buy parts that will quickly be obsolete. :(

Or I could just enjoy their performance. :)

It's much less stress and frustration the second way. :)

I wanted a Pentium 4, to replace this Celeron. The benefits and performance boosts from Hyper-Threading I have seen many people boast about, has only made me dribble quicker! I guess THG is a drug in it's own way, and potentially harmfull!
Well I could certainly understand wanting to upgrade from a Celeron. Their performance isn't exactly stunning, though neither is their price, which I suppose is the point. :)

I'd say just pick up a nice 533MHz P4 like the 2.8GHz or 3.06GHz and enjoy it for all that it is. :)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Hey I prefer the way the 533Mhz can be overclocked, I think this 800Mhz fsb hype has gone far away into dog land. In fact one of the disadvantages of 800Mhz fsb is Hyper-Threading technology.

<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/news-display.php?NewsID=6479" target="_new">Read here.</A>

<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/amddocs/30381A_HyperThread_FINAL.pdf" target="_new">and here.</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=139970#139970" target="_new">Forum user mentioned it here.</A>

Whoever uses the computer for work is a real Moron, computers were only designed for one thing and thats to play a single game at a time so HT is obsolete before its release.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
umm... so lets see -
Hyperthreading, one of the key selling points of intel processors, is useless because <b>their main [read: only] competitor says so...</b>

Sheesh! It must be true!

Oh yeah - This 'Real Moron' might like the ability to write code, surf the net, and listen to MP3s all at once, without compiling code causing my MP3s to stutter....

But then, I'm just a moron, what do I know... :tongue:

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you happen to read the configuration infromation at the end of AMD's PR plea? They used a Asus NForce2 board in dual channel for the AMD setup and a stock Intel 845G with 2 256meg modules for the Intel system. Not exactly what I would call a fair comparision of platforms. The could have atleast used a 7205 chipset with the 533 fsb 3.06 or maybe do something like compare AMD's best and Intel's best. I would like to see AMD publish a benchmark like this using a Barton3200+ on a NForce2 and a Intel 3.2 on a 875P board and then let us see how well HT works. Something tells me AMD never would publish that, it would be to much of an embarresment to the Barton 3200+.

Error RAID!!! Error RAID!!! Heads crashing down everywhere, oh the humanity!!!!

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Read the system configuration at the end of AMD's little horse and pony show. Then you will understand as to why the benchmarks turned out the way they did.

Error RAID!!! Error RAID!!! Heads crashing down everywhere, oh the humanity!!!!

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Yeah, also the software movement has not done its work on dual processor systems much as well, so most games would be threaded for single cpu usage.

You seen the price of a real dual hardware cpu system lately? Its priced way over this HT stuff and not exactly in the budget of your home computer user.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I think the date of this annoucement is important, it's right when the 875 is reaching the maturity of a head.