Cpuidlepro, and fan speed

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i have cpuidle pro installed to get my Palomino down a few degrees. cause my HSF if freaking loud but quiet when the cpu is cool . @35C it spins at like 2500rpm, @40C it spins at 5700rpm

-_____-!

its freaking loud

wat im wondering is, why when CPUIDLE is running the fans drop in speed audiably? i can hear the difference quite well. is it because teh CPU is drawing less power and the PSU throttles the fan back automatically? i dont htink have a varialbe speed fan in my PSU (its a cheaaaaap one), and besides i thought that the fan throttlin was based on heat not power drain

??

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I don't know it this will help... On the CPUIDLE website FAQ :

Q: When I run CpuIdle my fan turns slower and the voltage on the +5V and +12V lines decreases. Doesn't that mean that the CPU is drawing more power?
A:

No. Most computer power supplies only compensate higher power demands on the +5V rail, resulting in an increase on the +12V rail when +5V power demand goes up.

Koen Gadeyne says in the readme for set6x86:

"The CPU draws from the +5V rail, but the CPU fan uses +12V, so when the CPU draws more power (due to CPU load), the CPU cooling fan (which is delivered with the CPU by Cyrix) will run a little faster with higher supply voltages, so the significant power drop when the CPU drops into power-suspend mode might cause a noticeable change in the pitch of the buzzing fan sound!"

It depends on the way the switching power supply is designed. The 12V are generated in the same switching transformer as the 5V, and just the 5V is regulated. This means that the 12V voltage will depend on the current

flowing by the transformer primary winding. What happens is that when CpuIdle runs, there is less +5V current so the switching power supply sends less current across the transformer primary and therefore the 12V MUST decrease as the feedback regulation loop exist only in the +5V. That's the reason behind the "fan mystery".

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
beautiful ! thats exactly what i needed ! thank you

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>