Fireball prototype?

We just came across fireball with the serial# 1014. It has a black
spinning disk instead of red. Does anyone know if this was a prototype
disk or some aftermarket deal.

thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about fireball prototype

    That would be the 14th game made. I have the 30th game made with a red
    disk.

    stevepinfla@aol.com wrote:
    > That would be the 14th game made. I have the 30th game made with a red
    > disk.

    KME: The IPDB Bally Serial Number Project research shows that some
    other Fireball games have been submitted with black discs. We are not
    aware of any other differences in early games from later ones, and it
    may well be that a disc could have been replaced later on in that
    machine's life for wear or damage reasons. The Twin Win machines which
    have the same type of assembly in them have all had black discs, so a
    later replacement part from them is always a fair possibility.
    We'll log in Fireball #1014 now. Thanks!
    Brian Saunders IPDB Bally Research

    Thanks Brian, Where is the ser# database? We also have ser#4972 . It
    must be at the end of the run.

    Awful big coincidence... how often do those things break?

    Fireball # 1005 has a black disk.
    But, since I haven't owned it since new, it could have been replaced as
    Brian said.

    In summary,

    #1005 has a black spinning disk.
    #1014 has a black spinning disk.
    #1030 has a red spinning disk.

    If they did start out using black, perhaps by the 30th game they
    switched to red? Or, maybe they used black ones beyond 1030, but some
    owner assumed their black one on 1030 was incorrect, and replaced it
    with a red one? Or, maybe these early games had red discs but
    coincidentally were replaced with black ones? Or maybe...?

    The 1976 Bally parts catalog indicates the rubber mats for Fireball and
    Twin Win have different part numbers:

    Fireball
    Spinner Assembly - AS-2699
    Mat & Disc Assembly - AS-2698
    Rubber Mat - R-226-16

    Twin Win
    Spinner Assembly - AS-2699-1 (same as AS-2699, excepting Mat & Disc
    Assembly)
    Mat & Disc Assembly - AS-2698-1 (same as AS-2698, excepting rubber mat
    and washers)
    Rubber Mat - R-226-14

    (Does "R" stand for "Red"? Well, wait, you said all Twin Wins had
    black...)

    Brian, we need to stare and compare the discs from a black Fireball, a
    red Fireball, and a black Twin Win. Are the diameters identical? Is the
    ridge spacing identical?

    I like to feature examples of "Early Production" games in the ipdb
    listings, where such little-known differences can be presented to all.
    For the people who posted: Is it possible that pictures can be taken of
    either the #1005 game or the #1014 game for this purpose? It would be
    great to show a closer pic of the disc area of either of your
    particular games. Also the entire playfield, so users can see for
    themselves if any other playfield differences exist. Are there any
    cabinet art differences? Even if not, I'll show your cabinet, too, if
    you are so inclined to take those pictures!

    Thanks,

    Jay

    for the IPDB Bally Serial Number Project

    >Feel free to post the pictures of #1005 I sent to you a few months back.

    Ooops! (Red face) Where did I put those... :)

    Jay

    Fireball # 1005 has a black disk.
    But, since I haven't owned it since new, it could have been replaced as
    Brian said.

    - Steve B.

    "Brian Saunders" <bsaunders@consolidated.net> wrote in message

    > stevepinfla@aol.com wrote:
    >> That would be the 14th game made. I have the 30th game made with a red
    >> disk.
    >
    > KME: The IPDB Bally Serial Number Project research shows that some
    > other Fireball games have been submitted with black discs. We are not
    > aware of any other differences in early games from later ones, and it
    > may well be that a disc could have been replaced later on in that
    > machine's life for wear or damage reasons. The Twin Win machines which
    > have the same type of assembly in them have all had black discs, so a
    > later replacement part from them is always a fair possibility.
    > We'll log in Fireball #1014 now. Thanks!
    > Brian Saunders IPDB Bally Research

    Hi Jay,

    Feel free to post the pictures of #1005 I sent to you a few months back. If
    you need me to resend them, other specific photos, or take measurements of
    the disk let me know.

    - Steve B.

    KME wrote:
    > Awful big coincidence... how often do those things break?

    The spinning disk on the flyer pictured on the IPDB looks black to me
    too, compared to photos of machines with the red disk. Maybe someone
    with a flyer can tell for sure if the disk pictured is black. If so, I
    think it's more likely that the earliest Fireballs had black disks than
    to think the red disks were replaced with black ones on the two know
    earliest surviving Fireballs. (my 2 cents)

    - Steve B.
  10. Hello,

    I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but I just bought a 1972 Fireball, serial number 1001, and based on the comments above, it seems as though it might be the first one off the production line. Is that correct, or have people uncovered lower serial numbers?

    Thanks.
    Terry

Games Prototypes Video Games