BNU question

On a machine with XP-SP2 (updated) are you required to
use the Broadband Network Utility? I see that you can
access the control manager for the router (My MN500)
elsewhere. So I was wondering if I would affect anything
by uninstalling the BNU program.

You don't need to run the MBNU on any system. It makes it
easier to beginners, and automatically download upgrades.
Anyway many people just don't run it (I don't).

The MN500 is actually a computer per se. It does not depend
on any of your computers or the MBNU. You can access it's
web server for configuration using IE at 192.168.2.1