Why two optical drives?

I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
Thanks.

"Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com> wrote in message
>I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
>the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
>Thanks.

Thats about it, aside from having a faster CDROM drive. I presume the DVD-RW
also burns CD's? What about CDRW's?

-NuTs

"Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com> wrote:
>I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
>the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?

Some of the Does-It-All drives are _really_ slow with (say) CD-RW
disks, IME.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:09 -0500, "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com>
wrote:

>I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
>the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
>Thanks.

Most DVD-ROM drive will rip faster than the burner. If that matters
to you.

Some people also prefer to save wear and tear on the buner with a
second drive. With the cost of drives dropping, that's less of a
concern, IMO.

Dave

DVD-ROM drives are read-only. You must mean DVD+/- R/W.

In normal use, a DVD drive does not "wear out".

Ted Zieglar

"Dave" <dmjohn29@REMOVE.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:09 -0500, "Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I notice that most Dells offer a dual optical drive option. Aside from on
>>the fly disc duplication, what am I missing by only having say a DVD-RW?
>>Thanks.
>>

> Most DVD-ROM drive will rip faster than the burner. If that matters
> to you.
>
> Some people also prefer to save wear and tear on the buner with a
> second drive. With the cost of drives dropping, that's less of a
> concern, IMO.
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished