Ed

Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility. Is
their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they build
some good computers....

ed in nc

In article <_%RKd.45846$dt3.4229961@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
ed@nothingman.com says...

> Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility. Is
> their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they build
> some good computers....

It's greatly dependent on what you buy, and what era it came from.

Example: From what I've read on this group, and what I've heard
from others in the IT field, Dell's "consumer" grade systems and
"support" are little better than Gateway.

Their "business" tier systems, particularly the Latitude C and D
series portables, seem to be a much different story. My own laptop, a
Latitude C640, replaced an older Latitude CP-233XT that I had owned for
at least five years.

I never had any trouble with either one. The few times I did need
to ask a question of the support folks, the response was quick and
helpful, always provided by someone who was clearly a native of the U.S.
and usually located at Round Rock, TX.

My current Latitude is under Dell Gold warranty support until
September of this year. It's an off-lease unit that I bought from a Dell
reseller on Ebay. So far, it has proven to be a real workhorse. I will
add that, when I did call the Gold Support line once, the person I got
routed to was in the States. No India routing at all.

Given this, it all seems to come down to "You get what you pay
for." This is true in any field, especially that of computing. I'd love
to own a Dolch or similar 'mil-spec' ruggedized portable, but I don't
want to spend $3K and up for it.

As to what Dell is putting up in your area -- Could be anything
from a simple distribution center to a full-blown manufacturing plant.
Keep an eye on it, and ask around.

And, if you decide you want to buy a Dell, look at the high-end
stuff first (the 'Professional Workstation' line for the desktop,
Latitudes for the laptops).

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

"ed" <ed@nothingman.com> wrote:

>Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility. Is
>their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they build
>some good computers....

That'll probably depend on your neighbors who get jobs there to
assemble/test/ship them, doesn't it?

Support has gone off-shore, so you Tarheels will probably never
have to do that part of it.
--
OJ III

Robert

I am not a brand loyal person so I own several different systems from
several different manufacturers.

One thing that I am painfully aware of is that the big names (Dell, Gateway,
etc.) have decided that quality, customer service and customer satisfaction
are no longer central to doing business.

I currently own a Gateway (High End $3,000 System) that arrived with a dead
integrated network card on December 22, 2004. I have yet to be able to
return the computer and Gateway is asking for a $450 restocking fee if I do.

Dell, in my experience, tends to have a more stable computer with minimal
problems out of the box. If you do have a problem though plan on spending
hours on the phone with foreign based tech support personnel.

Anyway, just my two cents.

- Robert

It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

"Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Dell, in my experience, tends to have a more stable computer with minimal
>problems out of the box. If you do have a problem though plan on spending
>hours on the phone with foreign based tech support personnel.

OTOH, my two calls handled by "foreign-based tech support
personnel" took less than a half-hour total, hold time included,
on either incident. And on the second one, the tech called back,
as promised, to make sure the fix had taken, and everything was
working right.
--
OJ III

Jon Skidmore wrote:

> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
that refers to other posters as "retards."

Notan

I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
stupid question!
> Jon Skidmore wrote:
>>
>> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
>> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
>> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
>
> I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
> that refers to other posters as "retards."
>
> Notan

In article <hMVKd.18594$zy6.2631@fe04.lga>, skidmon22@bellsouth.net
says...

< Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post! See this link for
the reason why: http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost >

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Jon Skidmore wrote:
> >>
> >> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
> >> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
> >> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
> >
> > I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
> > that refers to other posters as "retards."
> >

> I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
> stupid question!
> Notan

The only truly "stupid" question is the one that someone chooses
never to ask.

Jon Skidmore wrote:

> I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
> stupid question!

Call it personal, call it whatever. I really don't care.

I find the term offensive.

Notan

Boo Hoo Hoo you wussy!
> Jon Skidmore wrote:
>>
>> I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
>> stupid question!
>
> Call it personal, call it whatever. I really don't care.
>
> I find the term offensive.
>
> Notan

Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated statements.

We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has slipped.
For a $500 machine, what do you expect?

Tom
"Jon Skidmore" <skidmon22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "ed" <ed@nothingman.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Dell is coming to my backyard Winston Salem NC to build a new facility.
>>>Is
>>>their quality that bad and customer service really rotten or do they
>>>build
>>>some good computers....
>>
>> That'll probably depend on your neighbors who get jobs there to
>> assemble/test/ship them, doesn't it?
>>
>> Support has gone off-shore, so you Tarheels will probably never
>> have to do that part of it.
>> --
>> OJ III
>> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

You really think people give a sh** about you wanting them not to top post?

grow up
"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
> In article <hMVKd.18594$zy6.2631@fe04.lga>, skidmon22@bellsouth.net
> says...
>
> < Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post! See this link for
> the reason why: http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost >
>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>> > I'd take Jon's comments with a grain of salt, as I would anyone
>> > that refers to other posters as "retards."
>> >

>> I didn't refer to all other posters as retards. Just the one who posted a
>> stupid question!
>> Notan
>
> The only truly "stupid" question is the one that someone chooses
> never to ask.
>

> --
> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute.
> (Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,
> kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
> "If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped
> with surreal ports?"

DELLBOT alert!
> Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated statements.
>
> We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has slipped.
> For a $500 machine, what do you expect?
>
> Tom
> "Jon Skidmore" <skidmon22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
>> Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
>> quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.
>> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> That'll probably depend on your neighbors who get jobs there to
>>> assemble/test/ship them, doesn't it?
>>>
>>> Support has gone off-shore, so you Tarheels will probably never
>>> have to do that part of it.
>>> --
>>> OJ III
>>> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>>> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Because I speak the truth? Do you really believe HP or Gateway are better?

What exactly are you contributing here?

"RockBall" <nospamyoyo@aol.com> wrote in message
> DELLBOT alert!
>> Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated
>> statements.
>>
>> We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has
>> slipped. For a $500 machine, what do you expect?
>>
>> Tom

Jd

dell is fine. reliability, service etc....i have two dimension 4600's.
they work as advertised and i get the support i need. no better or
worse then any other brand.

"Jon Skidmore" <skidmon22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
: It will probably be a bunch of non-English speaking people working there.
: Dell customer service is a pure joke. Their PCs have become very cheap in
: quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

I told you so

The Dellbots are SO predictable. You come out like roaches when anyone slams
Dell. You do provide entertainment to the group.
> Because I speak the truth? Do you really believe HP or Gateway are
> better?
>
> What exactly are you contributing here?
>

> "RockBall" <nospamyoyo@aol.com> wrote in message
>> DELLBOT alert!
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Are you just trolling? You keep making broad, unsubstantiated
>>> statements.
>>>
>>> We all know that all the major manufacturers consumer support has
>>> slipped. For a $500 machine, what do you expect?
>>>
>>> Tom

Ah, different name, same game.

Have fun trolling!
> The Dellbots are SO predictable. You come out like roaches when anyone
> slams Dell. You do provide entertainment to the group.
>> Because I speak the truth? Do you really believe HP or Gateway are
>> better?
>>
>> What exactly are you contributing here?
>>

>> "RockBall" <nospamyoyo@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> DELLBOT alert!
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

I simply enjoy laughing at you and the other Dellbots.

RockBall wrote:

> I simply enjoy laughing at you and the other Dellbots.

Have you ever considered that contributors to this newsgroup
enjoy laughing at YOU?

Notan

No I haven't retard.

RockBall wrote:

> No I haven't retard.

I love it.

Whenever the truly stupid don't have a good answer,
out comes the word "retard."

Notan

The word best describes you. Maybe you are just mildly MR.
> RockBall wrote:
>>
>> No I haven't retard.
>
> I love it.
>
> Whenever the truly stupid don't have a good answer,
> out comes the word "retard."
>
> Notan

most retards do! boohhoohahahahahah