Dell dimension 4700 does not detect 56KPCI card

dinosaur72

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hello,

I installed a new 56K PCI data modem in the slot next to the motherboard,Dell Dimension 4700 Windows XP. Installation CD is on C: drive. Computer does not detect the modem.
aol.com does not detect the modem. No internet connection. Help!

What do you mean by you installed the modem in the slot next to the motherboard ?
The modem has to be installed on the motherboard in one of the PCI slots. Be aware that there are two types of slots , PCI and PCI-E so make sure that you install it in the right slot type.
If the computer is not detecting the modem then there is a good chance that it's not in the right slot.

dinosaur72

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Thank you for your answer. here are the details:
Yes, I installed the PCI card in the correct slot on the motherboard, not in the PCI-E slot. I replaced an old PCI card Intel (R)537EPV9xDF PCI I had used for many years, because aol.com, all of a sudden 'did not recognize' the modem. This modem is one of the many modems aol.com lists.

Meanwhile I installed 2 different, new LSI PCIV92A Data & Fax modems. (I returned the first one).
XP/IE can get a dialtone, this means the modem can dial.
WindowsXP detects the modem. Device manager says modems works properly. Aol 9.7 still is unable to detect the modem.

I have used the same line cord that works with a borrowed laptop. The laptop has WindowsXP, aol 9.7 and a Toshiba dial-up modem. I am typing on it now, so it is not the cord or the jack.
The LSI modem is NOT on the aol.com list of modems. I have tried to select the USRobotics V92Fax modem, but aol detects the LSI PCIV92A, but does
not recognize it.
Aol cust. support is unable to help. Please help!

dinosaur72

You should not need anything special as far as the modem goes, all you need to do is dial the number. The modem tech used to connect is the same across all modems, the connection standards are the same. Or are you saying the AOL software does not see the modem? Get a different IPS then, should be several available.