Best way to "minty up" a lockdown bar?

Looking for suggestions on techniques to refurbish a stainless steel
lockdown bar. Some of mine are really scratched up.

TIA

Rick Swanson

LOL... I WOULD HATE TO FISH OUT THE WALNUTS OUT OF THERE...

>hrei...@gmail.com wrote:
>> LOL... I WOULD HATE TO FISH OUT THE WALNUTS OUT OF THERE...
>
>I've got two words for you.... Shop Vac. ;-)
>
>Rick Swanson

I bet you end up with walnut grains in your shorts!

That'd be a candidate for the "Ministry of Funny Walks" as you step,
kick, shake a leg, trying to get those little buggers out of the folds
of your crotch!

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

Man, 80 grit sounds pretty serious but if wet, may just work. I'd try
something less aggressive and go to 80, if the others don't do
anything. I've only needed 220 grit to remove the worst scratches then
I finish it up with a red Scotchbrite pad. Of course, it then gets
waxed. :)

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

kirb wrote:
> >Looking for suggestions on techniques to refurbish a
> >stainless steel lockdown bar.
>
> Re-grain it with some 80 grit wet/dry, keep it wet, run the sandpaper
> in one direction only.
>
> Kirb

Correct. Not on chrome.

I also use this technique for metal ramps. However I start with 400
and go to 600 and end up with 1000 grit for the ramps. Works well and
lasts a while on games that reside in the house and get low play. I
think I would try the 1000 grit first on the lock bar. Cant go wrong
being overly cautious. I do use Novus 2 as the "Wet" stuff. works
incredible.

Mike

it will make quick work getting the scratches out but you will have to
follow it up with finer paper if you want it to shine.

if you work up to 600G and buff you can use it to shave.

john

www.kansascitypinball.com

Rick Swanson wrote:
> Gosh Kirb, I would have guessed that 80 grit would be too aggressive.
> I'll pick some up at Autozone on the way home tonight and give it a
> try. Thanks.
>

> Rick Swanson
>
> kirb wrote:
>
> >>Looking for suggestions on techniques to refurbish a
> >>stainless steel lockdown bar.
> >>

> >Re-grain it with some 80 grit wet/dry, keep it wet, run the sandpaper
> >in one direction only.
> >
> >Kirb

this will work on chrome too. i have many times power sanded really
shitty legs then buffed them and they came out looking like new. but
the chrome on a lockbar is thin and if you do them you do risk sanding
through.

>Looking for suggestions on techniques to refurbish a
>stainless steel lockdown bar.

Re-grain it with some 80 grit wet/dry, keep it wet, run the sandpaper
in one direction only.

Kirb

Feed your cat some mint flavored tic tacs and let him loose in the
arcade to "spray" the lockdown bar area. That should make it smell
minty. :) or try 100 grit wet/dry paper and keep it wet and go in one
direction.

hreimer@gmail.com wrote:

>They dont make tumblers that big do they?

Actually, they do. They are commonly called a "clothes dryer". You
just need to make sure you get all traces of walnut media out of the
dryer before your wife gets home from work. ;-)

Rick Swanson

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Whew.... time to change 'em Rick!

- Don

hreimer@gmail.com wrote:

> LOL... I WOULD HATE TO FISH OUT THE WALNUTS OUT OF THERE...

I've got two words for you.... Shop Vac. ;-)

Rick Swanson

There was a thread awhile back on what people did with rusty balls....

At the risk of asking a stupid question..

This is the technique for a 'brushed' lockdown bar, right? I'm guessing
you wouldn't want to hit a chromed lockdown bar with 80-grit..

-Mark.

In article <1120769731.656672.54560@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
bskelly3@aol.com says...
> Man, 80 grit sounds pretty serious but if wet, may just work. I'd try
> something less aggressive and go to 80, if the others don't do
> anything. I've only needed 220 grit to remove the worst scratches then
> I finish it up with a red Scotchbrite pad. Of course, it then gets
> waxed. :)
>
> Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
>
> "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
> shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
> city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"
>
> (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)
>

> kirb wrote:
> > >Looking for suggestions on techniques to refurbish a
> > >stainless steel lockdown bar.
> >
> > Re-grain it with some 80 grit wet/dry, keep it wet, run the sandpaper
> > in one direction only.
> >
> > Kirb

I got a 3" coarse scothbrite wheel and chucked it up in the drill press.
Run it at high speed and simply buff all those scratches away. Would
probably work with a good high speed hand drill too butthe drill press
realy made it easy.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

bogart wrote:
>>hrei...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>LOL... I WOULD HATE TO FISH OUT THE WALNUTS OUT OF THERE...
>>
>>I've got two words for you.... Shop Vac. ;-)
>>
>>Rick Swanson
>

> I bet you end up with walnut grains in your shorts!

Hey, my shorts are no strangers to nuts.
They have been coexisting for some 51
years. ;-)

Rick Swanson

xlr8

<hreimer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> LOL... I WOULD HATE TO FISH OUT THE WALNUTS OUT OF THERE...

That reminds me of a little prank we played on one of the guys at work.
He's off and on about being healthy. One day he's eating nuts and berries
and the next, Cheetos and Snickers.

Anyway, one day he brought a huge bag of walnuts to work and a pair of
shorts. His thought process was to eat the walnuts during work and then
change into the shorts to work out after hours. HAAA!!! We stole his nuts
and put 'em in the pockets of his shorts. We beat the hell out of his
shorts with a hammer and then neatly folded them back into place. He was
pissed!!! He laughs about it now!!! We were just discussing it the other
day over a pizza!!!

Jim

xlr8 wrote:

> .... We stole his nuts
> and put 'em in the pockets of his shorts. ...

Ouch!!!!

>Gosh Kirb, I would have guessed that 80 grit would be too aggressive.

80 grit- WET. I use this for the SS guide rails too. Makes short work
of the job.

You can always keep moving up in grit and get the desired grain you are
looking for.

Kirb

We have 'em at work. They're about 8 feet in diameter. You could put
a bunch of lockbars in there!