Connecting to motel network

In a couple weeks I'll be traveling with my brand new Latitude D800
notebook. The motel I'll be staying at advertises cable data ports.
Will I just be able to connect the computer to the port and access the
internet, or are there other things I'll need to do?

Will I have to use web mail or can I use my Eudora?

I use Cox Cable at home.

Thanks very much for any help.

Dave Smith said the following on 2/12/2005 10:18 AM:
> In a couple weeks I'll be traveling with my brand new Latitude D800
> notebook. The motel I'll be staying at advertises cable data ports.
> Will I just be able to connect the computer to the port and access the
> internet, or are there other things I'll need to do?
>
> Will I have to use web mail or can I use my Eudora?
>
> I use Cox Cable at home.
>
> Thanks very much for any help.

The data port is simply the jack and nothing else. There are no ISP
services provided unless they specifically say something to the effect,
"High speed internet access". You will need a local dialup for your
ISP. Motel 6 has dataports but that's all it is, a jack.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

When I connected at a Courtyard Marriot recently I needed to tweak the proxy
settings in IE to be able to surf. I was using a work laptop and not a
personal laptop though so you may not have this issue.

"'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
> Dave Smith said the following on 2/12/2005 10:18 AM:
>> In a couple weeks I'll be traveling with my brand new Latitude D800
>> notebook. The motel I'll be staying at advertises cable data ports.
>> Will I just be able to connect the computer to the port and access the
>> internet, or are there other things I'll need to do?
>>
>> Will I have to use web mail or can I use my Eudora?
>>
>> I use Cox Cable at home.
>>
>> Thanks very much for any help.
>
> The data port is simply the jack and nothing else. There are no ISP
> services provided unless they specifically say something to the effect,
> "High speed internet access". You will need a local dialup for your ISP.
> Motel 6 has dataports but that's all it is, a jack.
>
> --
>
> Kirk
>
> "Screw the planes, take a train", Me

If they advertise CABLE data ports, they generally mean high-speed access to
the internet. I've stayed in, oh, 200+ that do have it.

Just plug it in and open IE. Most require a startup page in IE to agree to
their rules. Then everything works.

Tom

Tom Scales said the following on 2/12/2005 2:42 PM:
> "'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
>
>>Dave Smith said the following on 2/12/2005 10:18 AM:
>>
>>>In a couple weeks I'll be traveling with my brand new Latitude D800
>>>notebook. The motel I'll be staying at advertises cable data ports.
>>>Will I just be able to connect the computer to the port and access the
>>>internet, or are there other things I'll need to do?
>>>
>>>Will I have to use web mail or can I use my Eudora?
>>>
>>>I use Cox Cable at home.
>>>
>>>Thanks very much for any help.
>>
>>The data port is simply the jack and nothing else. There are no ISP
>>services provided unless they specifically say something to the effect,
>>"High speed internet access". You will need a local dialup for your ISP.
>>Motel 6 has dataports but that's all it is, a jack.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Kirk
>>
>>"Screw the planes, take a train", Me
>

> If they advertise CABLE data ports, they generally mean high-speed access to
> the internet. I've stayed in, oh, 200+ that do have it.
>
> Just plug it in and open IE. Most require a startup page in IE to agree to
> their rules. Then everything works.
>
> Tom

Yes, I missed that key word. I just saw data port. 20 lashes with a wet
noodle for me

--

Dave Smith wrote:

> Will I just be able to connect the computer to the port and access the
> internet, or are there other things I'll need to do?

Be certain you are running a firewall on your computer!

The hotels I have been in, utilize a wireless setup. You buy your time from
the front desk, log onto thier start page, enter the data they gave you, and
you are away. I can only assume that some would have a wired connection, and
the procedure would be the same.

--
Canadians can now get a free PhotoIpod. Just go to:
http://myfreephotoipod.com/?id=277

"Dave Smith" <none@none> wrote in message
> In a couple weeks I'll be traveling with my brand new Latitude D800
> notebook. The motel I'll be staying at advertises cable data ports.
> Will I just be able to connect the computer to the port and access the
> internet, or are there other things I'll need to do?
>
> Will I have to use web mail or can I use my Eudora?
>
> I use Cox Cable at home.
>
> Thanks very much for any help.

Don't be too fast to eat crow. I've stayed in scores of hotels with
high-speed access and hundreds with data ports on the phones and not one
of them ever described their rooms as having a "cable data port". I
would guess OP misspoke....

Doug