Which goes on a PCI Controller Card? A DVD-Rom Drive, or a..

I have 2 HDD's hooked up to a PCI card controller, and I have lost my HDD LED
lights because of it and I have to hit F-Lock & F1 to get to the boot menues
after the computer beeps twice (on a Dell Dimension 4300) when it can't find a
hard drive on the IDE #1 chain. I have my new DVD Burner hooked up on the end of
a cable and a Zip Drive hooked up in the middle of the cable to IDE #1. I also
have a DVD-Rom Drive hooked up to IDE #2.

I want to put the 2 HDD's back onto IDE #1 so the HDD LED's work when there is
hard drive activity. The DVD burner made the LED lights work when playing back a
DVD, and it seemed to change intensity by the volume of the sound being played.
So it seems IDE #1 is the only place to get the LED lights to work.

So should I have the DVD Burner and the Zip Drive hooked up to IDE #2 and the
DVD-Rom hooked up to the PCI Controller card, or should I have the to DVD Drives
hooked up to IDE # 2 and the Zip Drive hooked up to the PCI card? I prefer to
keep the Zip Drive plugged into something for storing files with long file
names.
7 answers Last reply
More about which controller card drive

    Move the DVD drives to IDE#2 (One has to be jumpered to Master)Move your hard
    drives to IDE#1 (unless they are a raid array, you didn't specify) again, one
    must be jumpered to master) Move the Zip drive to the PCI contoller card.
    Hard drive LED is set for IDE#1. Computer looks for 1st boot device on IDE#1.
    You may be able to set your bios for a different 1st boot device if you do
    have a raid array.

    "Cymbal Man Freq." wrote:

    > I have 2 HDD's hooked up to a PCI card controller, and I have lost my HDD LED
    > lights because of it and I have to hit F-Lock & F1 to get to the boot menues
    > after the computer beeps twice (on a Dell Dimension 4300) when it can't find a
    > hard drive on the IDE #1 chain. I have my new DVD Burner hooked up on the end of
    > a cable and a Zip Drive hooked up in the middle of the cable to IDE #1. I also
    > have a DVD-Rom Drive hooked up to IDE #2.
    >
    > I want to put the 2 HDD's back onto IDE #1 so the HDD LED's work when there is
    > hard drive activity. The DVD burner made the LED lights work when playing back a
    > DVD, and it seemed to change intensity by the volume of the sound being played.
    > So it seems IDE #1 is the only place to get the LED lights to work.
    >
    > So should I have the DVD Burner and the Zip Drive hooked up to IDE #2 and the
    > DVD-Rom hooked up to the PCI Controller card, or should I have the to DVD Drives
    > hooked up to IDE # 2 and the Zip Drive hooked up to the PCI card? I prefer to
    > keep the Zip Drive plugged into something for storing files with long file
    > names.

    Ok this going to sound like an odd question, but believe, me it is not.

    What color are the connections on the PCI card and the motherboard.

    I will be willing to bet that IDE 1 is Blue, IDE 2 is black and the PCI
    controller is Blue.

    I ask, because there are different speed connections, and both my DVD
    writers prefer the faster connection.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:f9nNe.5440$PM3.5060@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    >I have 2 HDD's hooked up to a PCI card controller, and I have lost my HDD
    >LED
    > lights because of it and I have to hit F-Lock & F1 to get to the boot
    > menues
    > after the computer beeps twice (on a Dell Dimension 4300) when it can't
    > find a
    > hard drive on the IDE #1 chain. I have my new DVD Burner hooked up on the
    > end of
    > a cable and a Zip Drive hooked up in the middle of the cable to IDE #1. I
    > also
    > have a DVD-Rom Drive hooked up to IDE #2.
    >
    > I want to put the 2 HDD's back onto IDE #1 so the HDD LED's work when
    > there is
    > hard drive activity. The DVD burner made the LED lights work when playing
    > back a
    > DVD, and it seemed to change intensity by the volume of the sound being
    > played.
    > So it seems IDE #1 is the only place to get the LED lights to work.
    >
    > So should I have the DVD Burner and the Zip Drive hooked up to IDE #2 and
    > the
    > DVD-Rom hooked up to the PCI Controller card, or should I have the to DVD
    > Drives
    > hooked up to IDE # 2 and the Zip Drive hooked up to the PCI card? I prefer
    > keep the Zip Drive plugged into something for storing files with long file
    > names.

    The color has no affect on the speed. You can place the 2 DVDs on to the
    PCI IDE controller. Set both as "Master" and install a 80wire/40pin IDE
    cable from PCI IDE 1 for the first DVD and another one from PCI IDE 2 for
    the second. Then set the ZIP as Master on the motherboard IDE #2.

    This way, each drive will be on its own any "should" be able to use all the
    IDE speeds that each IDE port (IDE 1, IDE 2, PCI IDE 1 and PCI IDE 2) can
    provide. When two drives are connected to the same cable, the IDE port
    would always "slow-down" to the slower speed. Not only this but the IDE
    port will have to constantly switch between reads/writes whenever you access
    both drives at the same time (ex: copy huge file from drive C: to D:).

    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > The color has no affect on the speed.

    Not necessarily true, because depending on how old and what make and
    model of mobo, it can. IIRC, I had a mobo around 5 or 6 years ago that
    had one color for 100MB RAID, and another for 66MB normal IDE.

    On my present mobo, it is not a matter of speed but function. One color
    is for RAID, the other is for normal IDE.

    > You can place the 2 DVDs on to
    > the PCI IDE controller.

    Again, not necessarily true, depending on make and model of PCI IDE
    controller. Some have problems when ATAPI devices are contected to PCI
    IDE controller.

    > Set both as "Master" and install a
    > 80wire/40pin IDE cable from PCI IDE 1 for the first DVD and another
    > one from PCI IDE 2 for the second. Then set the ZIP as Master on the
    > motherboard IDE #2.
    > This way, each drive will be on its own any "should" be able to use
    > all the IDE speeds that each IDE port (IDE 1, IDE 2, PCI IDE 1 and
    > PCI IDE 2) can provide. When two drives are connected to the same
    > cable, the IDE port would always "slow-down" to the slower speed. Not
    > only this but the IDE port will have to constantly switch between
    > reads/writes whenever you access both drives at the same time (ex:
    > copy huge file from drive C: to D:).

    Since the OP doesn't say what kind of PCI IDE controller he has, the
    best advice is to RTFM.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    I hooked up the DVD-Rom drive to the PCI card and it played a DVD for about a
    minute then the drive disappeared and my disc would not eject. I'm back to the
    two HDD's on the PCI card and the DVD-Rom & Zip on IDE #1 with the DVD-RW on IDE
    #2. The LED light for the HDD will not work with the HDDs, but then the person
    who typically uses this computer (not me) missed seeing a big entire broken
    window just 5 feet in front of her car earlier this week...so I don't think
    she'll even miss the LED light. Every bootup now requires hitting the F-Lock &
    F1 keys.

    Optical drives don't get along with PCI cards, despite the literature from the
    advertisements. (Promise ATA 100 card)

    In article <hSwNe.5513$PM3.3114@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "Cymbal Man
    Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg>, says...

    > I hooked up the DVD-Rom drive to the PCI card and it played a DVD for about a
    > minute then the drive disappeared and my disc would not eject. I'm back to the
    > two HDD's on the PCI card and the DVD-Rom & Zip on IDE #1 with the DVD-RW on IDE
    > #2. The LED light for the HDD will not work with the HDDs, but then the person
    > who typically uses this computer (not me) missed seeing a big entire broken
    > window just 5 feet in front of her car earlier this week...so I don't think
    > she'll even miss the LED light. Every bootup now requires hitting the F-Lock &
    > F1 keys.
    >
    > Optical drives don't get along with PCI cards, despite the literature from the
    > advertisements. (Promise ATA 100 card)

    I have 4 optical drives connected to a Sil0860 Siig PCI Controller Card
    and all function perfectly.......2-DVD burners, 1-DVD Player, 1-CDR
    Burner(I can burn 3 CD's at once and the machine will not flinch).
    Promises are more reliable with HD's as I have experienced in the past
    having 4-HD's connected to a UltraTX2 card.....I also use the TX2's on
    my various other machines with HD's attached.........

    Are you sure you are using the proper drivers for the promise card? By
    default once I allowed XP's drivers to be installed to one of my
    machines promise cards and noticed that XP reported a 3rd logical
    partition as free space and it did not show.......I forced the actual
    manuf drivers and it magically appeared........Go figure.

    You may also want to check your ASPI driver installation & make sure
    they are installed & reported as functioning correctly.

    http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm

    Just my experience............

    The HDD LED indicator is still there, you've not lost it. The ide card,
    which you identified as a Promise Ultra100 in another reply, has two led
    outputs. One for each connector. Simply move the led wire from the
    motherboard to the proper connector and pay attention to the polarity. If
    it don't work, turn the connector 180 degrees.
    Dell's use an Award bios. In the user bios settings should be an option to
    boot from scsi first. This will cause the PC to seek the drives on the
    Promise card for booting first.

    It has been my experiences with this particular ide card that its not
    tolerable of using ATAPI devices onboard. Strictly HDs only.

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:f9nNe.5440$PM3.5060@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > I have 2 HDD's hooked up to a PCI card controller, and I have lost my HDD
    LED
    > lights because of it and I have to hit F-Lock & F1 to get to the boot
    menues
    > after the computer beeps twice (on a Dell Dimension 4300) when it can't
    find a
    > hard drive on the IDE #1 chain. I have my new DVD Burner hooked up on the
    end of
    > a cable and a Zip Drive hooked up in the middle of the cable to IDE #1. I
    also
    > have a DVD-Rom Drive hooked up to IDE #2.
    >
    > I want to put the 2 HDD's back onto IDE #1 so the HDD LED's work when
    there is
    > hard drive activity. The DVD burner made the LED lights work when playing
    back a
    > DVD, and it seemed to change intensity by the volume of the sound being
    played.
    > So it seems IDE #1 is the only place to get the LED lights to work.
    >
    > So should I have the DVD Burner and the Zip Drive hooked up to IDE #2 and
    the
    > DVD-Rom hooked up to the PCI Controller card, or should I have the to DVD
    Drives
    > hooked up to IDE # 2 and the Zip Drive hooked up to the PCI card? I prefer
    > keep the Zip Drive plugged into something for storing files with long file
    > names.

Controller PCI Hard Drives DVD Drives Windows XP