Susan

Okay I did a registry export and now I want to restore the registry so I
double click but then get the following error:

Cannot import C:\Documents etc. etc. Not all data was successfully written
to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

I never have had this problem before. How do I resolve this?

Thanks for any information.
Susan

Get both of these...

NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

Direct download links (the zip files just need unzipping and dropping on the
drive. {Thank you, Jim}
http://aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip

http://aumha.org/downloads/ntregopt.zip

ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new registry keys.]]
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
system can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
and optimize registry access.

The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
modified or deleted keys.

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.]]
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt

Installing & Using ERUNT
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23%23kq0NOpFHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Susan <dsnsacree@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
> Okay I did a registry export and now I want to restore the registry so I
> double click but then get the following error:
>
> Cannot import C:\Documents etc. etc. Not all data was successfully written
> to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.
>
> I never have had this problem before. How do I resolve this?
>
> Thanks for any information.
> Susan

Close the Registry editor before your double-click.

Or, try to restore in "Safe Mode".

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> Okay I did a registry export and now I want to restore the registry so I
> double click but then get the following error:
>
> Cannot import C:\Documents etc. etc. Not all data was successfully written
> to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.
>
> I never have had this problem before. How do I resolve this?
>
> Thanks for any information.
> Susan

Susan

I tried but that did not work.
> Close the Registry editor before your double-click.
>
> Or, try to restore in "Safe Mode".
>
> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Okay I did a registry export and now I want to restore the registry so I
>> double click but then get the following error:
>>
>> Cannot import C:\Documents etc. etc. Not all data was successfully
>> written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other
>> processes.
>>
>> I never have had this problem before. How do I resolve this?
>>
>> Thanks for any information.
>> Susan

JBS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> Okay I did a registry export and now I want to restore the registry so I
> double click but then get the following error:
>
> Cannot import C:\Documents etc. etc. Not all data was successfully written
> to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.
>
> I never have had this problem before. How do I resolve this?
>
> Thanks for any information.
> Susan
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
There is a lot here about the registry near the bottom is some pointers

kelly

Hi Susan,

This is normal and all will be well. To give you an example, export your
services key, then import.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)