upgrading iPaq legacy-free

Got an old iPaq Legacy-free Celeron 500 810e chipset unit here and the
durn thing just won't die! Anyone know anything about upgrading the
CPU? This chipset supports 66 100 133 speeds and has a socket 370.

There are still some new or gently used CPUs out there for maybe $40
but any help on picking one that won't set the unit on fire would be
highly appreciated.

Found appropriate memory for it some time back. Actually the old slow
Celeron is not bad unless you ask it to do something fairly complex.
If I can help this old friend live a little longer for a few bucks what
the heck!

hh

Any non-Tualatin Celeron or PIII should work. A Celeron 1.1GHz would do
nicely. Make sure any Celeron you select has no larger than 128K L2 cache
and any PIII, 256K.
HH

<powercat@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Got an old iPaq Legacy-free Celeron 500 810e chipset unit here and the
> durn thing just won't die! Anyone know anything about upgrading the
> CPU? This chipset supports 66 100 133 speeds and has a socket 370.
>
> There are still some new or gently used CPUs out there for maybe $40
> but any help on picking one that won't set the unit on fire would be
> highly appreciated.
>
> Found appropriate memory for it some time back. Actually the old slow
> Celeron is not bad unless you ask it to do something fairly complex.
> If I can help this old friend live a little longer for a few bucks what
> the heck!

I have one of thoes with a Celeron 1.0 ghz in it right now. Works
fine.

Wish I had somthing to do with that machine. Its sits on my workbench
with no case. It also missing its proper power supply. I don't have a
proper optical drive, and I hate that it dosn't have any PCI slots.

I was thinking of making it a new custom case and putting it in my car.
Run everything from a (powered) USB hub. Wi-fi, USB SoundBlaster, USB
DVD-ROM. I'll just leave the HD IDE. I Dunno. But I really like the
super small motherboard. Its USB 1.1 though, so I am not sure how well
it would actually play a DVD. 11MBS *Should* be enough.

Thanks for your responses -- will try it out. Hope the difference in
voltages won't fry the board.

Heh, Dragging this out of the Archive. I found somthing to do w/ my
old Ipaq, dont laugh. My Sister in Law has one of thoes old Gateways,
I dont remember what they are called, but if you work in the PC Repair
industry you have seen them. I think they are GW Solos and they are
super small.

Anyways her Gateway fried its motherboard and she didnt have the cash
to get a new one. I checked and sure enough, the Ipaq board was the
same size. I had to use a dremel to cut out for the backplane and use
an ATX ps extension cable, but all is good now.

Its real funny to boot a gateway and see the Ipaq splash screen