Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to setup new build with SSD primary and HDD secondary so games to be install

Last response: in Windows 7
October 30, 2012 3:08:53 PM

Hello,
I would like to know on my new build 120 SSD and a 3T HHD so that I can install my games with most of the files are on the HHD and the games startup with the 120 SSD with the OS installed on it?
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 3:25:05 PM

You will have to manually choose install locations, and programs like Steam often will not allow you to alter the main storage location (all or nothing for steam files on each drive). There are programs and techniques for doing this though, I am not sure if you can have certain steam files on 1 drive and others on another though. If you are asking for a way to keep the data files on the HDD and launch from the SSD, I don't think that makes sense and is not possible.
m
l
October 30, 2012 3:44:41 PM

Personally, with games today accessing disk during gameplay, I'd install both the games and the OS onto the SSD so you don't have to wait as long for zoning, loading maps, etc. You can actually mount the 3TB drive to the Documents directory (without a drive letter) and store all your media there. I saw this week that you could get a 256GB Agility 4 for just $129. That's not much more than what a 120GB drive would cost.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 3:46:00 PM

When you download a file , software applications and games when the destination is shown during the download and install process you can change the location that you want it to go to and you would just need a shortcut on the desktop to open the game or program.
You can setup on a secondary drive a folder with sub folders and direct the instal to one of those sub folders and just have a shortcut telling Windows where it is.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 3:47:05 PM

Oh, also, make sure you set your web browsers default download directory to be on the HDD, at least if that's what you want.
m
l
November 14, 2012 3:45:55 PM

Some of my programs don't give me that option where I can install it, they just go to C:\. My 128 SSD is so full now it is slowing down. Is a 15,000 SAS HHD just as fast as a SSD?

Bad
m
l

Best solution

November 14, 2012 4:49:53 PM

Use Steam Mover to make Steam thinks your games are still in Steam directory (your 3TB HDD) but in fact, in other location, this case your SSD.

So like you want BF3 on the SSD, but CSGO on the 3T because CSGO does not read the hdd very much.

http://www.howtogeek.com/116708/5-tips-and-tricks-to-ge...
November 24, 2012 6:28:41 PM

Best answer selected by badcarma.
m
l
November 24, 2012 6:32:32 PM

Some of my programs don't give me that option where I can install it, they just go to C:\. My 128 SSD is so full now it is slowing down. Is a 15,000 SAS HHD just as fast as a SSD?

Bad
m
l
!