HP Officejet 7310 Driver and Software Issues

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have an Officejet G95 that worked great for about four years and
started jamming paper on a regular basis. A local repair shop indicated
that I needed some parts to fix it and they were no longer available, so
I took this as an excuse to buy a new printer.

I've been so pleased with my G95 that I immediately looked at HP
printers to find an all-in-one unit that had duplex and network support
and the ability to print photos relatively well. I have a Fedora Core 2
desktop, a Windows XP desktop, and a laptop that I dual boot between
Fedora Core 2 and Windows XP that all need to print and scan and having
them all talk directly to the printer has been the easiest configuration
to maintain in the past. The printer is exclusively attached to my
local home LAN and is not attached via USB to any device.

Based on my requirements, I bought an Officejet 7310. The footprint of
the 7310 is better than the G95 and it is much faster and quieter, so I
am very pleased with the hardware.

Using CUPS and hpijs, I get great results when printing from Linux.

I have been extremely disappointed in the driver software provided by HP
for Windows. I have three major problems:

1) The driver and accompanying daemon software is less than robust.
On my Windows XP desktop, I regularly get "Windows Data Execution
Prevention" errors and also "Application Errors" showing an attempt
to access memory at 0x00000000.
2) The drivers don't work well on a laptop when there is no LAN
connectivity with the printer. In this situation, I cannot launch
Internet Explorer and see the same errors as in problem 1.
3) I lost the ability to print from my work desktop via ssh port
forwarding of port 9100.

Now some more details.

The errors I see on the desktop that is always attached to the LAN are
very irregular in nature and I haven't been able to figure a pattern. I
don't use this box as much, so I haven't had as much time to diagnose
the problem.

On my laptop, the "Windows Data Execution Prevention" errors indicate
that Windows has closed the "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"
application. I think, but don't know for sure that this is one of the
many "daemon" processes that want to run when installing the HP
software. When I uninstall the software, these errors go away, which
leads me to believe that it is the cause.

An example application error message looks like

The instruction at "0x00ab96bc" referenced memory "0x00000000".
The memory could not be "written".

When I debug the svchost.exe executable that crashed using Visual C++, I
see HP symbols in the stack trace (e.g. HPGWIAMD).

When I try to launch Internet Explorer on my laptop when there is no
connectivity with the printer, I see in the Task Manager that
iexplorer.exe is running, but the browser window never appears. About
every 45-60 seconds (I didn't time it exactly), I get an application
error message with the above mentioned text. After about five of these,
I killed the process from the Task Manager.

While at work, I use SSH port tunneling to forward localhost:9100 to
port 9100 on the printer. Then on my Windows XP computer at work, I add
a network printer on a port defined to communicate to localhost:9100.
This worked perfectly for the G95. I used the "Add a printer" wizard to
define a new port and then used the "Have Disk ..." dialog to load the
driver from the HP-provided software to use the port.

With the 7130, there doesn't appear to be any place to get the driver
for use in this wizard. It appears that the only way to add a 7130
printer is to use the "Setup.exe" interface which installs tons and tons
of software. Unfortunately, in my port forward environment, it will not
work. The only error message I can find in the 15-20 log files
generated in %TEMP% is

CDiscovery::DiscoverByHostName=Could not discover device using host name
address. Zero devices discovered
CRestoreAdminValuesState::ExecuteState failed=Unable to discover device
by HostName: localhost

in %TEMP%\BoiseNetWiz.txt.

Since the software on the HP-provided CD is huge overkill for my need to
print on my home printer from work, I downloaded the network enabled
corporate software driver package from the web. I followed the
instructions provided in
HP_WebRelease\Setup\Enterprise\readme\1033\Readme.html, and ran

Setup.exe -s -hostname localhost

Unfortunately, the results are exactly the same as when installing from
the CD.

I contacted HP support via the web-based form and had several exchanges
via email and the only suggestion is to use the Deskjet 550C driver
provided in Windows XP. This does allow me to print, but apparently the
550C doesn't have duplex support so I cannot print in duplex.

At this point, I think I am going to have to take the printer back. I
can't get the software to work reliably in three of my four environments
environments (the Linux support provided by 3rd parties is perfect).

I'm looking for any and all suggestions to resolve any or all of my
problems as I would really rather not take the printer back. Mostly
because I have no clue what printer to get if this is not the one.

If anyone from HP is following this thread, I am a software developer in
my day job and would be more than happy to test and/or debug executables
or provide any or as much trace and log output as can be generated. I
really want this to work and am willing to work hard at it.
--
David L. Crow Texas! It's like a
crow@OrangeBlood.org whole other country.

"David L. Crow" <crow@OrangeBlood.org> wrote in message

> Based on my requirements, I bought an Officejet 7310. The footprint of the
> 7310 is better than the G95 and it is much faster and quieter, so I am very
> pleased with the hardware.

[driver issues snipped]

> I'm looking for any and all suggestions to resolve any or all of my problems
> as I would really rather not take the printer back. Mostly because I have no
> clue what printer to get if this is not the one.
>
> If anyone from HP is following this thread, I am a software developer in my
> day job and would be more than happy to test and/or debug executables or
> provide any or as much trace and log output as can be generated. I really
> want this to work and am willing to work hard at it.

I forwarded your issue to the driver development folks and they are aware of
the issue and working on an automated fix. In the meantime, they have a manual
workaround available, which I expect to get in a day or so. I will forward
this fix to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Alan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I am having the same problem - I regularly get both the "Windows Data
Execution Prevention" errors and the "application memory access at
0x00000000" errors preventing IE from working after installing the
~400 Mb of software that came with the Officejet 7310xi I bought last
weekend. The printer is installed on my home network. I've seen the
errors on my Windows XP laptop and my XP desktop. Service Pack 2 for
XP is installed on both my machines; I'm guessing there are multiple
conflicts between SP2 and the HP software. Using msconfig.exe, I even
disabled the Pml driver HPZ12 service it installed, and I disabled the
handful of programs HP installed in my startup run registry key, but
I'm still having these errors. I guess I'm going to have to completely
uninstall all the printer software, which I assume means I'll lose
some, if not most, flash-card reading, fax, and scanning features, not
to mention the loss of 7300-specific print preferences, if I have to
use an older built-in HP XP driver. The printer itself works, but the
automatic power-saver mode that shuts off the scanner lamp and lcd
screen does not work - it stays on all the time, regardless of what I
set the timer to.

I used the HP software update facility to search for updates - it
installed one having to do with installation issues (I had none), but
that didn't fix any of my (and your) issues. I talked to HP support on
the phone about ths; they couldn't offer any help on the software
issues, but said they were aware of problems with Service Pack 2. They
said they'd call me back tonight to see if my automatic power mode was
working yet (it's not); I havn't heard from them.

At this point I agree with you - I suppose it's time to return it.
It's a shame though, because other than the power saving problem, I
agree with you - the printer itself works well. If HP could assure us
they're working on fixing they're software issues, I'd consider
waiting for the fixes.

> [...]
> 550C doesn't have duplex support so I cannot print in duplex.
>
> At this point, I think I am going to have to take the printer back. I
> can't get the software to work reliably in three of my four environments
> environments (the Linux support provided by 3rd parties is perfect).
>
> I'm looking for any and all suggestions to resolve any or all of my
> problems as I would really rather not take the printer back. Mostly
> because I have no clue what printer to get if this is not the one.
>
> If anyone from HP is following this thread, I am a software developer in
> my day job and would be more than happy to test and/or debug executables
> or provide any or as much trace and log output as can be generated. I
> really want this to work and am willing to work hard at it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have the 7130 and had a problem with the second computer using it. After
checking and searching the HP website I found that I had to go into the
computer setup under peripherals and set it to ECP. After that I uninstalled
the software and reinstalled and everything is working great. You might want
to check that.

"Alan" <alanmdhome@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> provided in Windows XP. This does allow me to print, but apparently the
>> 550C doesn't have duplex support so I cannot print in duplex.
>>
>> At this point, I think I am going to have to take the printer back. I
>> can't get the software to work reliably in three of my four environments
>> environments (the Linux support provided by 3rd parties is perfect).
>>
>> I'm looking for any and all suggestions to resolve any or all of my
>> problems as I would really rather not take the printer back. Mostly
>> because I have no clue what printer to get if this is not the one.
>>
>> If anyone from HP is following this thread, I am a software developer in
>> my day job and would be more than happy to test and/or debug executables
>> or provide any or as much trace and log output as can be generated. I
>> really want this to work and am willing to work hard at it.

I have EXACTLY the same errors you describe with a new system using
Windows XP Service Pack 2 and the HP 7310 networked printer. Let me
know if you hear back form HP. There is power in numbers so you can
use me a reference for the same bug.

I have the same problem with HP Photosmart 2710 All-in-One.

Please update with the solution. Tnks Leon.

I have had the same problem for days and I think finally got it fixed.
You need to find the file HPGREG32.dll and put it here:
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin

It fixed the same problem for me. HP was no help. Post a reply if it
works. For some reason the file is being deleted for all of us.

I have made a post here with the attached file.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1099494793278+28353475&threadId=708802

I have tried JRL Weasle solution. It did not work for me. L.

I hope this fixes this problem for others. I was grateful to find
thisd post as I was preparing to rebuild my PC afte installing the HP
7310 software lastnight and moving my firewall. I have been getting
thios error ever since and figured i caught a nasty virus in the
moving of the firewall. Anyways, I am surprised to not see this
posted on the HP support site. I called and was told this was an XP
SP2 issue but they didn't know the resolution. Upon a little
searching, I found a MS KB that explains how to fix this issue with
the obviously miscoded HP software that appears to be trying to
execute code in the wrong memory area. Here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875351

Give it a try and good luck.

I too saw this post on MS KB, but it is a very generalized solution.
It requires that you either turn off DEP or exclude programs from
DEP.
What program did you choose to exclude from DEP?

I have this problem on the two computers that are connected to my new
HP 2710.

Data Execution Prevention is NOT something you want to disable or turn
off, though! It is doing it's job to prevent much worse errors by
preventing HP's faulty software from executing in protected memory.
The only solution to this problem will be to hope that HP fixes their
software soon.

I work for a major US computer retailer and am also an on-site
computer technician. I chatted with HP online support and told them
they are going to get a lot of returns on this product if they don't
fix the software quickly. Hopefully they listened (and hopefully the
tech I told has the ability to forward such things up to the
development team.)

"What program did you choose to exclude from DEP?" Good question. The answer
probably involves one or more than one of the modules delivered by HP. Open up
Windows Explorer (yes, it's still buried in Windows. Microsoft keeps demoting
it to lower level menus with each Windows software release.), click on the C:
drive, then program files. Look for some HP software in the hierarchy of
folders, then look for an executable program name (or two or three) to exclude
from DEP... Ben Myers

On 6 Nov 2004 23:01:15 -0500, hisenberg@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
(hisenberg) wrote:

>I too saw this post on MS KB, but it is a very generalized solution.
>It requires that you either turn off DEP or exclude programs from
>DEP.
>What program did you choose to exclude from DEP?

As a temporary step, HP could provide a detailed procedure (or, heaven help us,
a command file) to exclude any and all 7310 modules which violate DEP.

And then work madly to fix all the DEP problems in its software before pissing
off more customers who are stuck on this one... Ben Myers

On 7 Nov 2004 23:02:33 -0500, jpennin1@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (jpennin1)
wrote:

>I have this problem on the two computers that are connected to my new
>HP 2710.
>
>Data Execution Prevention is NOT something you want to disable or turn
>off, though! It is doing it's job to prevent much worse errors by
>preventing HP's faulty software from executing in protected memory.
>The only solution to this problem will be to hope that HP fixes their
>software soon.
>
>I work for a major US computer retailer and am also an on-site
>computer technician. I chatted with HP online support and told them
>they are going to get a lot of returns on this product if they don't
>fix the software quickly. Hopefully they listened (and hopefully the
>tech I told has the ability to forward such things up to the
>development team.)

The following Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes how to selectively
disable DEP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

(hisenberg) wrote:

>I too saw this post on MS KB, but it is a very generalized solution.
>It requires that you either turn off DEP or exclude programs from
>DEP.
>What program did you choose to exclude from DEP?

Exact same DEP error seen on a WinXP SP2 laptop with OfficeJet 7400
series software. Selectively disabling DEP from managing 'Generic
Host Processes for Win32' made no difference, even after a reboot.

I may have a solution.

I had the same problem as others listed here - multiple data exception
protection (DEP) errors, massive system slow down, etc. I tried
disabling DEP, tried to prevent HP software from booting on startup,
put a hpgreg32.dll in the bin directory, etc.

What finally worked for me was to disable the Windows Image
Acquisition (WIA) service using MSCONFIG. I've rebooted three times
and my system is now stable! Printing still works and scanning still
works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solution will keep
working since I love the printer.

FYI, I'm connecting a HP 7410 via 802.11g and have Windows XP SP2
running.

Hello,

All Owners of HP OfficeJet G95 and G85 units...

Do you have a G85 or G95 driver (Director) CD ?

Please look for your CD ROM that came with your Officejet.

Tell me what version do you have ?

Can you burn me a copy ? I am willing to pay your costs.

I share files on Limewire FTP.

HP is of no help. I do not want the current driver v3.1?? that HP
offers. IT IS USELESS. It is a printer driver only. It does not Fax
or scan. I need a driver version between 1.0 through 3.0. I need all
versions under 3.05

The version I personally want works with USB ports only for Windows XP
PRO.

Please send me a copy of your CD ROM I can help alot of people with
the same problem.
Downloaded versions are of no use for my pourpose. They are
unreliable.

Milwaukee Wisconsin

Please reply,

Jay

Computer@wi.rr.com or MRGCAV@hotmail.com

Disabling the MIA file worked for both of my Dell laptops. Thank you cNeil
a million! You are a life saver.

Shame on HP for not fixing this!

On 13 Nov 2004, mrgcav <Computer@wi.rr-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
> All Owners of HP OfficeJet G95 and G85 units...
>
> Do you have a G85 or G95 driver (Director) CD ?
>
> Please look for your CD ROM that came with your Officejet.
>
> Tell me what version do you have ?
>
> Can you burn me a copy ? I am willing to pay your costs.
>
> I share files on Limewire FTP.
>
> HP is of no help. I do not want the current driver v3.1?? that HP
> offers. IT IS USELESS. It is a printer driver only. It does not Fax
> or scan. I need a driver version between 1.0 through 3.0. I need all
> versions under 3.05

I think the CD that came with ours was pre-XP, so we are currently using a
downloaded version in XP Pro to network print, scan, fax for G85 on
JetDirect 175x (USB) without any problems. Or for PCs that just need to
print, I just configure a local TCP port and use native XP driver. I was
even able to print to it from NT using an old Deskjet driver. Upgrading
XP to SP2 did not cause any problems.

> The version I personally want works with USB ports only for Windows XP
> PRO.
>
> Please send me a copy of your CD ROM I can help alot of people with
> the same problem.
> Downloaded versions are of no use for my pourpose. They are
> unreliable.

I'll have to check which version I have. What sort of problems are you
having? Maybe your PC is short on memory. I did have problems probably
for that reason when it was earlier shared on Win98se.

Note that if you attempt to use both USB and parallel, whichever is used
first will disable the other until the G is powercycled. We found that
out when we attempted to connect it to both a print server and PC.

> Milwaukee Wisconsin
>
> Please reply,
>
> Jay
>
> Computer@wi.rr.com or MRGCAV@hotmail.com

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/

Disabling WAI works for me as well. All of the other recommendation did
not work.

I'd be interested in knowing how you discovered this solution because I am
in awe! Also, by disabling WIA what does that break?

Lastly, I have spent the last week on the phone with HP to no avail. They
have had me uninstalling the drivers 3-4 times. Of course that doesn't
fix the problem. But, I finally got them to escalate to engineering so I
may get a response soon and will let you know.

On 13 Nov 2004, mrgcav <Computer@wi.rr-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
> All Owners of HP OfficeJet G95 and G85 units...
>
> Do you have a G85 or G95 driver (Director) CD ?
> Tell me what version do you have ?

I did further checking and our CD version is Win v2.50/Mac v2.05, which on
its envelope says specifically:

"Windows XP. Do not use the enclosed software. Print % Scan drivers are
already in Windows XP. Fax & Copy functions are accessible from the front
panel. For additional information, see http://www.hp.com/go/windowsxp."

The G series software I downloaded to network print/copy/fax/scan from XP
Pro to G85 on JetDirect 175x (also works for G95) is filename
A140609_ENU_XP_NW.exe which says it is file version 2.11.15.0 2/12/2004
64.1 MB. I assume its Director works for local parallel/USB port, but it
is only necessary for network use (on JetDirects listed as compatible with
G series). When we had it on an old JetDirect EX Plus (not on that list),
it could only print. On the JetDirect 175x all print/copy/fax/scan
functions work.

> Milwaukee Wisconsin
>
> Please reply,
>
> Jay
>
> Computer@wi.rr.com or MRGCAV@hotmail.com

It took hours of scouring through the web before I realized that WIA
is related to printer drivers. Since I exhausted all the other
suggestions, I thought I might as well try to disable WIA. Luckily it
worked.

HP really needs to reprogram their drivers.

I have recently bought a new PC and installed Windows Service Pack 2
on it. All was fine until the other day when I tried to install my new
HP Photosmart 2710 Printer (it's an all-in-one printer, fax, scanner
& copier) through my Netgear wireless router. I now constantly get
the following error messages:

- svchost.exe application error: "the instruction at "0x009a96bc"
referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be written."

- Data Execution Prevention Error messages

I uninstalled the HP software and the error messages stopped!!

I read with interest this thread which discusses this same problem
(although in relation to a different printer).

The problem in a nutshell appears to be an incompatability between
Windows (possibly SP2 in particular) and the HP drivers (does anyone
know whether these error messages go away if you connect the printer
through a USB cable rather than wirelessly?). It appears that this
problem is not just confined to the 2710, but also affects other HP
printers.

Anyway the reason for my post is that I was left slightly confused by
the difference of opinion in:

1. CNeil's post which says that he
disabled the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service using MSCONFIG
and that all is now fine (this is backed up by
BoBo's and
rantinori's experiences); and

2. pep's post which says:

> "HP insists that WIA is needed to make the scanner work, but after
> trying way too many times to install the software, and checking WIA,

> it's always off and can't be enabled. Without WIA the scanner won't

> work. Not to mention all the error messages when trying to run
> Internet Explorer."

Am I right in thinking that
pep is having a separate problem with
WIA? Does anyone know if there are any side effects of disabling the
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service using
MSCONFIG?

I would be very interested to know whether
anyone is successfully using a HP printer (particularly a 2710, but
also a 2510 or any other model) wirelessly through a router with
Windows Service Pack 2 installed on their PC. If so, did you have any
problems setting it up?

rantinori: I'd also
be interested to hear what the techie guys at HP makes of this.

It seems absolutely ridiculous that you spend a lot of money on a top
of the range printer and then need to waste several hours of your time
trying to get the thing to work because of the shoddy workmanship of
the manufacturer.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks.
Reg

COtto

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004

We too have an all in one hp photosmart 2700 series, and I get this
message Ever since I installed my new wireless HP photosmart 2700
series all in one printer, I am getting a pop up message every few
seconds that reads svchost.exe - application error in top left then
the instruction at "0x009a96bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
The memory could not be "written". Click OK to terminate the program
Click Cancel to debug the program - I have not removed the software
but it appears that i am having the same issue -online support does
not help, they told me to call the support number. Has anyone resolved
this yet?

Please see the reply I received from HP Support in the Uk about this.

"Dear Reg,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand that you are experiencing DEP (Data Execution Protection)

error in "svchost.exe" when you are using HP PSC 2710 All-in-One after

installing SP2. I regret for the inconvenience caused.

This error occurs because Microsoft Windows XP SP2 uses the Data
Execution Prevention (DEP) feature to help prevent damage from viruses

and from other security threats.

DEP works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory

locations as non-executable." If a program tries to run code from a
protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you, whether
the
code is malicious or not.

HP and Microsoft are working on the issues arising after installing
SP2
and soon HP would be releasing Update patch to resolve the issue.

In the mean time, as a work around you can disable WIA(Windows Image
Acquisition) service.

Perform these steps to disable WIA (Windows Image Acquisition)
service:

1. Click Start->Control Panel.
2. Select and Double Click Administrative Tools.
3. Double Click Services.
4. From the Services Window, Locate and Double Click Windows
Image Acquisition (WIA).
5. From the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) properties, select
Startup type under General Tab and select Disabled from the
drop down list.
6. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
7. Restart the Computer.

If the issue persists, Please follow the steps below:

If your computer is set to apply DEP to all programs and services, the

DEP error message will have a Change Settings button. If an update to

the program is not available, follow these steps to add an exception
for
the program from the DEP error message:

1. When you receive the error message that is mentioned in the
"Symptoms" section, click Change Settings.
2. Click to select the check box next to the program, and then click
Apply.
3. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK two times,

and then restart your system.

You can also add an exception for the program by using System
Properties
in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click

Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.

3. In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab,
and
then click Add.
4. In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the program.
5. Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted
restart your computer, click OK.

I hope this inforamtion helps. If you need further assistance, please

Sincerely,

John
HP Total Care"

TRENDING THREADS