Mouse Movement = PC lags

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
So this is a wierd one, it wasn't always like this, but if I move my mouse my PC lags, to put it simply.
Its a strong quad core and whatnot, I can play all games and stuff.

When I open a game and move the mouse, and only then it lags.
When I watch an animated gif, its the same actually.

When I watch a movie, then its actually not the case, maybe because of the way decoding works...

So you can see this is wierd and not specific to any one process.

I reinstalled the nvidia drivers and stuff to no avail and plugged in a different mouse, although that seems silly. Its just some standard logitech mouse.

I would just format, but lets ask first...

I am also a programmer, so I know a lot of course, but I have no idea.

I guess the USB bus kinda lags out the whole pc ? But typing on the keyboard doesnt reproduce this behavior...

Windows 7, quad core AMD, nvidia geforce GTS 250 and a second video card to run 3 or monitors, which is a nvidia geforce 8400, standard mouse & keyboard, mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 v2

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

I disconnected everything else, no effect. Disconnect this mouse, connected a different mouse to a different port, no effect.

I did, which looks like this
58224439.jpg

So its just some ATI northbridge and no southbridge stuff anyway

No effect.

I like to just use an animated gif to look if it'f happening, since its easier than starting up some game.
And I noticed something (it doesnt matter what program I use to watch the gif file, I use ACDSee but opening it in a browser has the same effect): Only when I move the cursor within the program that is, in this case, rendering the gif file, it lags, moving it outside has no effect and I can see it running fluently.

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Another interesting thing.
I have geometry wars here to test real quick. If I run it as Administrator, it runs fluent, no problem at all.
I tested it with Firefox and an animated gif, same result, lags normally, but not as administrator.

Can you roll back the USB drivers to the default windows ones or at least ensure they are MS drivers and not some AMD ones(driver details should show you if they are MS drivers or not)?

It is very strange that you would have to run as admin to make it work right.

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
weeiwie.jpg

Seems to be Microsoft default.

Yeah it's really bizarre. It would mean that every single mouse movement call is piling up and in not-administrator mode there is some sort of additional overhead and eventually it lags for some microseconds or even a second in heavy mouse movement.

So yeah its one of these WTH windows ? moments that force you to reformat...
or I will just try always-admin, should work

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think it might be because administrator doesn’t have the same application installed causing the problem. If you can find out what that is then you can avoid migrating to administrator.

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Well its certainly true that it wasn't always like this.
I might have installed SOMETHING that screwed it up and it's not installed/screwed up for adminstrator.
However... I dunno, I have no clue here, what it could be, or how...
How would a normal program even cause this D:

Just disable UAC for your test.

I was more looking at the USB drivers down lower. Ignore the AIcharge thing, Its Asus
usbdrivers.png

I do remember installing NEW Intel drivers on an older board killed ALL usb ports(I just had to roll back some drivers.).

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
25224665.jpg

I dont seem to really have a chipset entry here

but like I said the "chipset" driver entry on my gigabyte mainboard page would only get me this ATI northbridge installer

but there are chipset.msi files and stuff which you cannot manually run; which are only supposed to be run by this ati-installer... which I did

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Correct me if I’m wrong on this I’m not sure. When drivers for the computer are installed it is for all accounts and when an application is installed, it is bound to that particular account it is being installed on or unless given the option to install across all users.

Think Administrator is exempt from that option though.

It could narrow down what to search for if i am thinking correctly.

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Just turning off UAC wont do the trick. I haven't restarted yet, but it doesn ask for permission when it normally would. But unless I run a program in admin-mode, it wont matter, so really has no effect.

Btw, just noticed, If I watch a youtube video and move my cursor over it lags like crazy, maybe 1 FPS

One thing that sticks out right away, Is your LACK of SP1, You should at least get the latest service pack since it may fix many early problems with windows 7.

When you restart, Everything should be run with an Admin account(your own account will be admin without needing permission, Or at least should)

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah lets try SP1

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Also just to add the task manager screenshot is not showing all processes and usernames especially system files under Window's username System. Winlogon.exe is an example in that screenshot is blank next to it under the users column, should say System there

After Sp1, operating as administrator should give a clearer rundown of what’s running. By the looks of it 'show processes from all users' button in task manager says 40 total.

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
installed SP1 and all latest updates
now, even with "run as admin" it lags

I actually have this tool "Macro X" which is one of these where you can script a bot to do stuff.
like wait 1h, type "stupid", turn off pc - and so on
there is also a mousemove feature

so I open any program that lags with mouse movement, and run a simple script that moves the mouse left and right over it, not using the mouse myself

the effect also shows up in this case.
wouldn't that mean that it can't be USB / driver related, since this is just a simulated movement ? Well I guess it depends on the implementation =/

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Completely forgot about safemode with win7

It does indeed work, Safemode minimal and safemode network
flash movies with youtube and animated gifs - no lagging here
cant test games of course, but I'm sure it will work

So thats ehm, hm...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
When you login as admin, in device manager under universal serial bus controllers are there drivers listed for asmedia xhci controller?

Could possibly be a usb3 bug. Do you have any usb2 ports you could try for your mouse?

AlchemicTempest

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I just dont know anymore... Now If I close X Window Dock, you know that icon dock program, the lag disappears. But in one of my earlier screenshots its not opened either and I still had lags.

And it makes a little sense like, X Window Dock has to look where the cursor is all the time, because it may popup the icons...
But there doesnt seem to be a single cause here...
I'm trying an alternative icon dock program... with it closed, I just played a nice round of geometry wars... so works for now

TRENDING THREADS