P4P800 Deluxe w/ Cosair XMS memtest86 problem

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hi,
I have a P4P800 (BIOS 1007), 2.4C GHz CPU, and I have two sticks of Corsair 256MB XMS PC3200C2 and two sticks of Corsair 512MB XMS PC3200C2. I do no overclocking and memory settings has always been 2-3-3-6 and default voltages.

I have been using the 2x256 for a week and run many tests(sandra and prime95 and 3dmark) and has no problems whatsoever. However, when i try to run memtest86 on it, it hangs in the second test (no errors reported). I thought maybe memtest screwed up or sth so i ignored the problem.

Yesterday i get the 2x512 sticks, thinking of replacing the 2x256. Then the system become really unstable and give me blue screens, prime95 errors and everything. And memtest86 hangs in the second test too.

So my question is:
1. Do u think my 2x256 shd be OK even though memtest86 definitely did not work?
2. Is there any known issues of memtest86 w/ p4p800 or any other system?
3. Is the 2x512 surely defective or shd i mess with the vdimm voltage setting? I bought them from newegg do u know if i can get a replacement real quickly?

Thanks!

Addy

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I did a bit of research about Corsair and Springdale/Canterwood a few days ago. It turns out that these chipsets are really sensitive about the memory timings and just can't handle low timings very well. Two sticks of XMS <i>should</i> have been okay though.

Corsair's suggestions generally involve raising the timings to solve all problems. So you might try that.

I also saw someone suggest once to raise the voltage to 2.7v or even as much as 2.8v. Supposedly (though I haven't verified this) Corsair's waranty allows up to 2.8v before the waranty becomes void. So you could try that as well.

One other thing though that comes to mind... The 256MB sticks worked more or less, but the 512MB sticks didn't. It's possible that your power supply is right on the very edge. What kind of power supply do you have and what are its stats? If you can monitor the voltages on the rails, please do so and tell us if it's in any way below any of its rails at all or if it has any fluxuations. That'd help support or discount the possability of it being a power supply problem a lot.

Good luck.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Thanks for the reply.
First one thing i found is that USB Legacy mode need to be disabled to run memtest. Now memtest runs flawlessly on my 2x256MB.

I just went to corsair website and looked at the forum there too. It seems the XMS3200C2 are really not so suitable for the P4P800. I take the suggestion and raised the voltage to 2.75V , but 2-3-3-6 still doesn't work. (Numerous errors very early in memtest). Then i tried 2.5-3-3-6 and it seems to work under 2.75V. Currently I am running memtest under 2.5-3-3-6 and 2.55V.

My power supply shd be ok it's the Antec TruePower 380S that comes with the sonata case.

Anyway it seems that CL2.5 shd work but that's disappointing as i have paid the $$$ to get CL2 performance.

Addy

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
First one thing i found is that USB Legacy mode need to be disabled to run memtest. Now memtest runs flawlessly on my 2x256MB.
That's good news at the very least. :)

I just went to corsair website and looked at the forum there too. It seems the XMS3200C2 are really not so suitable for the P4P800.
It could have been worse. It could have been XMS3200LL. :O That's just a world of problems with Springdale/Canterwood. But still, the XMS3200C2 <i>should</i> have been okay. I think that Corsair just likes to suggest the 3500 instead of the 3200 because they make more money that way. Heh heh. But I'm really surprised that the 512MB modules didn't work.

Currently I am running memtest under 2.5-3-3-6 and 2.55V.
It'll probably work fine, but it will mean a lot less than you would normally think. It's been reported in a very small number of places that Asus is actually running the RAM at something like 2.7v when the BIOS setting is at 2.55v. :O Why? Probably because Asus knew how flaky RAM would be in the Springdale/Canterwood mobos and wanted to reduce the number of customer complaints. My reasoning is just a guess though. Heh heh. But anywho, the moral of the story is that because you have an Asus mobo your RAM is probably being slightly overvolted even though BIOS is set to 2.55v.

My power supply shd be ok it's the Antec TruePower 380S that comes with the sonata case.
Yeah, it should be okay. Personally, I'd check anyway just to be absolutely sure, but Antec TruePower is pretty good. :)

So how sweet is that Sonata case? :)

Anyway it seems that CL2.5 shd work but that's disappointing as i have paid the $$$ to get CL2 performance.
It is rather disappointing. I'd like to blame Corsair for the problem, except that none of the nForce2 users are having these kinds of problems. So it clearly isn't the RAM at fault. That leaves Intel to blame. :O It's rare, but for once Intel seems to have really screwed up with their memory controller. It just can't seem to handle low-latency RAM, which is a major bummer.

I'd be willing to bet that Canterwood owners are having a lot less of these kinds of problems than Springdale owners are though. Then again, I could be wrong. :\

One other thing to note, have you enabled PAT? (...or whatever term Asus calls it in the BIOS ... maybe 'Hyper Path' or 'Memory Acceleration Mode' or something silly...) If so then try disabling it. That may make your already low-latency RAM more stable. If not, I'd highly suggest not ever turning it on.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
So after lots of test run, I can only get those 512MB sticks to work at 2.5-4-4-8 at 2.75V! which is really disappointing. I am returning them to newegg for a full refund. Meanwhile I am looking for alternate 512MB memory that can work at least 2-3-3-6 at DDR 400.. any suggestion?

PS the sonata case is nice. decent cooling and nice looking, and quiet! especially the PSU and the 120mm case fan.

findba

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
I am planning to build a system with the Antec Sonata case, Asus P4P800 mobo and Corsair memory. I don't want to deal with problems with compatibility obviously. I am also not an overclocker. Which memory fits the Asus mobo? How much more is the 3500 vs. 3200? I am going for 2 sticks of 512MB.

addyngan, would you please share the rest of your system configuration? Thanks.

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I think people have mixed experience with that. Personally I have two sticks of 256MB Corsair XMS3200C2 that works flawlessly ( 2-3-3-6 at 2.55V). However, I also had two sticks of 512MB Corsair XMS3200C2 that only work at 2.5-4-4-8 at 2.75V. (Any more aggressive timings fail very badly in memtest and other benchmarks. I have returned them to newegg). Could be that i got bad sticks, but if u look at corsair forum RamGuy is suggesting people to buy XMS3500C2 (which are very expensive around $150 per stick). Many people are having similar problem with the 3200C2 sticks.

My System Spec:
P4 2.4C GHz (stock heatsink, low voltage fan)
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Antec Sonata Case
Maxtor 160G DiamondMax 9 Plus
2x256 Corsair XMS3200C2
Leadtek Ti4200 (Old card)
Creative Labs Audigy 2

My system is very quiet now, the noisiest thing being the fan on the video card..

Addy

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's a bummer.

Things really aren't looking great for the Springdale mobos running dual DDR400 at low latencies. :(

Check out the "4P800 DDR400 Memory Qualified Vender List" at the bottom of <A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800/overview.htm" target="_new">Asus's web page for the P4P800</A>. It's looking <i>really</i> sad, especially should you want 2GB of RAM. And I've noticed that at least at Newegg.com finding any of the less expensive modules in that list in stock is darned hard.

On the brighter side of things, it's good to hear about the Antec Sonata case. So far I haven't heard a single bad thing about them. I'm looking forward to ordering one soon myself. :)