Safely remove hardware icon in toolbar

My wifes XP Home gets that you can "Safely Remove Hardware" in her toolbar
at the bottom right of her screen. I have tried all manner of dealing with
this to make it go away (there is no hardware we want to remove, safely or
otherwise) with no luck.
It's no big deal but it is tedious and would to zap it...
Anyone ??
Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about safely remove hardware icon toolbar

    My wifes XP Home machine gets that you can "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in
    her toolbar
    at the bottom right of her screen. I have tried all manner of dealing with
    this icon to make it go away (there is no hardware we want to remove, safely
    or
    otherwise) with no luck.
    It's no big deal but it is tedious and would to love to zap it...
    Anyone ??
    Thanks in advance

    You need this whenevere you connect any type of media storage (ie: DVD/CD
    drives, hard drives, floppies and flash drives) to a USB port. You must
    tell XP to "flush" all the data to the drive before you disconnect it. I
    have heard stories where the flash drive because un-usable when the "Safely
    Remove Harware..." was not done.

    "MattW" <mw668@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My wifes XP Home gets that you can "Safely Remove Hardware" in her toolbar
    > at the bottom right of her screen. I have tried all manner of dealing with
    > this to make it go away (there is no hardware we want to remove, safely or
    > otherwise) with no luck.
    > It's no big deal but it is tedious and would to zap it...
    > Anyone ??
    > Thanks in advance

    This article claims that the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature is not needed
    as long as the device is no longer being read or written to:
    http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0,aid,116572,pg,1,00.asp .

    XP doesn't care what you have plugged in to the USB ports.

    You can't remove it. All you can do is always hide it.

    Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab | Customize button |
    Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon | Select Always hide | OK | Apply | OK

    [[In Microsoft Windows XP, icons in the Notification area (on the right side
    of the taskbar) are, by default, hidden when they are inactive. This
    behavior is determined by a setting, which can be cleared or selected for
    each item.]]
    Description of Notification Area Settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9-udnZ7EWdgbtpveRVn-tA@rogers.com,
    MattW <mw668@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > My wifes XP Home gets that you can "Safely Remove Hardware" in her toolbar
    > at the bottom right of her screen. I have tried all manner of dealing with
    > this to make it go away (there is no hardware we want to remove, safely or
    > otherwise) with no luck.
    > It's no big deal but it is tedious and would to zap it...
    > Anyone ??
    > Thanks in advance

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP