davegt40

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I bought a used dell computer at a garage sale for 20 bucks it was an offer i couldnt refuse.

The specs are :

P4 1.3ghz
512 rdram
geforce2

anyways when i bought it, it came without a powersupply, and without a hardrive. I got a new powersupply from dell, and bought a Maxtor 120 133 8mbcache hd.

I put all the parts together and when it boots up everything spins, proccessor gets hot, and the boot order is set correctly. But it will not boot up
it says strike f1 to retry or f2 to continue and it hangs up there. I can get into bios fine but everything i tried didnt change it. Any help would be appreciated

you got it for 20 dollars! stop complaining ... thats probably why you got for 20 bucks cos it doesn't work. Probably just a parts PC.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
That can't be all it says. Does it get past the memory test? Does it detect your IDE drives and floppy drives? Does the BIOS detect your CDROM and Hard Drive? If so, have you tried to boot from a CD? Be more specific.

In my experiences, I have seen similar messages if CMOS does not detect a keyboard or floppy drive.

<font color=red>Proudly supporting the AMD/Nvidia minority</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You ARE trying to boot off something other than the completely blank Hard disk, aren't you? Only last time I saw a similar message, it was on a compaq saying something like, "Operating system not found"....

Could also try different IDE ribbon cables.
And if you've got 2 IDE devices on one cable, make sure the master/slave jumpers are correct....

but as the others have said, more detail would be very helpful.

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile: