Sign in with
Your question

Computer Hardware Club

Last response: in Work & Education
May 8, 2012 2:18:08 PM

Oh Hi,

I'm being granted the opprotunity to develop a club in a high school. The most interesting and fun thing I could think of is baseing the club on computers, not nessesarlly the software part but the building of it. I experience building computers and want to expose other reaches of the community to take the first step and get rid of the fear around custom builds.

Here is my question:

1. What kinds of prerequisite lessons would I need to adress and teach before hand? (maybe go through each peice of hardware and what it does?)

2. What are some things that i should mention thoughtout the build and teach?

Also, I'm working on a idea to biuld 1 maybe 2 computers in the club and auction/sell it off for proceeds for the following years computer build class. Does that sounds like a good idea?

I was just told about this yesterday and was wondering if I could tap into the best computer resorce network- TOMS HARDWARE for some ideas. I'm up for any sugguestions!

More about : computer hardware club

May 20, 2012 1:04:16 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Work & Education by Pyree
June 6, 2012 10:02:43 PM

checo said:
Oh Hi,

I'm being granted the opprotunity to develop a club in a high school. The most interesting and fun thing I could think of is baseing the club on computers, not nessesarlly the software part but the building of it. I experience building computers and want to expose other reaches of the community to take the first step and get rid of the fear around custom builds.

Here is my question:

1. What kinds of prerequisite lessons would I need to adress and teach before hand? (maybe go through each peice of hardware and what it does?)

2. What are some things that i should mention thoughtout the build and teach?

Also, I'm working on a idea to biuld 1 maybe 2 computers in the club and auction/sell it off for proceeds for the following years computer build class. Does that sounds like a good idea?

I was just told about this yesterday and was wondering if I could tap into the best computer resorce network- TOMS HARDWARE for some ideas. I'm up for any sugguestions!

Hi, I realize this post is about a month old... I guess no one reads the education section.

Anyway, to address your questions:
1. Yes, it would be a great idea to go through the essential pieces of hardware in a PC and what they do. you should cover the bare minimums first: CPU, Motherboard, Memory, GPU, Harddrive. get into other parts such as the Heat-sinks, optical drives, SSD vs HDD, later

2. it's very difficult to say what is good to teach... watching you demonstrate how to build a computer or two would be very educational itself, and you can obviously explain the building process in detail as you go through piece by piece. It would be helpful to give some basics on circuitry, espeically since you should stress that it's important to ground yourself throughout the process. After doing these things, I guess you can go into detail and explore the inner workings of the computer piece by piece. you can always email some of these companies such as Intel, AMD, Nvidia, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc for help. you may get a very helpful representative.

As for auctioning off things, be very careful with that and make sure you get proper permission from the school administration first. there're strict laws regulating the buying and selling of products to students. especially in school "sponsored" activities such as a club
!