Which to buy - a T5 or a T3?

November 2, 2004 3:07:14 PM

Which one would you buy... and why?

More about : buy

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 7:55:26 PM

Hi Mike,

Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but your question will generate more
questions then answers.

What do you want to do with the Palm? How much do you intend to use the
Palm? How much are you willing to spend to customize it to your needs? .
.. . and I could go on.

Let me give you an example of why you need to give us more information
before we can answer your question.

I have a friend (who also happens to be a client) who hates her Sony
laptop. She says it's way to big. She travels and does PowerPoint
presentations on a regular basis. So we set her up with a Tungsten|C,
iGo Presenter and the smallest Proxima projector they make. She was
happy. Then her boss complained about her no answering e0mails when she
was on the road. So of course she had to break out the Sony for web &
e-mail. She approached me a couple of weeks ago and asked couldn't she
do her e-mail on the Palm. I was already looking at Palm
telecommunications for an Enterprise client so I made her my test case.
We tried the wi-fi in her Tungsten|C. It worked but was a difficult to
set up when the only hotspots required registration (most web pages are
uncomfortable on Palms). So I looked into GSM/GPRS services. A number of
cellular phones will connect to the Palm via Bluetooth. Unfortunately
they don't make a Bluetooth card for the Tungsten|C. So she gave her
assistant her Tungsten|C and bought a Tungsten|T3 which has Bluetooth.
The next problem was the software that comes with the Tungsten|T3.
Versamail is okay for very light e-mail. But simply is not up to par for
business e-mail. The best e-mail client I could find for the PalmOS is
SnapperMail ($50US). A nice client, but the HandZipperLite program that
comes with it is not useful if you need to Work with a XLS or DOC file
in there native format (HandZipperLite unzips them to the Palm RAM which
means they become a PDB file), so then you have to spend another $15US
for LighNzip so that you can unzip to your SD card. Then of course
because she needs to have PowerPoint presentations & old e-mails
available to her there is the matter of the SD card anywhere from$50US
for a 256MB card to $200US for a 1GB card.

Figure out what you want to do with the Palm and then I'm sure you'll
get all kinds of opinions as to which to get and more importantly WHY
you should get it.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

Mike Henley wrote:

>Which one would you buy... and why?
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:00:39 AM

In article <e05ce3c4.0411021207.30b9fc31@posting.google.com>,
casioculture@gmail.com (Mike Henley) wrote:

> Which one would you buy... and why?

Why?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 12:00:40 AM

How about one of each, after all, you have 2 hands and 2 eyes...

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <e05ce3c4.0411021207.30b9fc31@posting.google.com>,
> casioculture@gmail.com (Mike Henley) wrote:
>
>> Which one would you buy... and why?
>
> Why?
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:06:41 AM

I'd buy a T5 given that the price difference is only $49 USD. First, you
don't have to worry about the slider. I have a T3 and I'd have to say that
the slider is not as useful as I thought it might be. I don't hate it but I
could do without it very easily. Second, you get more memory in the T5.
Third, you get updated versions of the applications like Docs To Go. Fourth,
you get a larger battery and from what I am hearing somewhat better useage
time than the T3.

Cheers
TC
"Mike Henley" <casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Which one would you buy... and why?
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 1:58:26 PM

In article news:<e05ce3c4.0411021207.30b9fc31@posting.google.com>,
Mike Henley wrote:
> Subject: Which to buy - a T5 or a T3?

I'd wait a little.

On the face of it the T5 has several advanages over the T3 - more
memory, better battery life, non-volatile storage so that a flat
battery won't wipe out your data, newer apps, ... (it also does
away with the slider, which I must say I find an irritation of my
T1). The other main difference is the new connector - if you have
any peripherals that use the (not so) Universal Connector you might
want to get a T3 so that you can continue to use them.

I'd wait until the T5 has been available long enough for any
teething troubles to be identified, though, and if in that time
anyone starts selling the T3 really cheap I might be tempted ...

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 7:47:52 PM

On 2 Nov 2004 12:07:14 -0800, Mike Henley wrote:
> Which one would you buy... and why?

I had a T. To get the same utility out of a T5, I would have had to
spend $500: $400 for the T5 + 2 * $35 for cradles + $30 for a car
charger, and wouldn't be able to replace my travel kit or Power To Go
(another $70 whenever those finally come out). Instead, I bought a T3
for $300. I realize that my next Palm probably won't be able to use
these UC accessories, but the monetary savings are more compelling to
me than what the T5 has to offer.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <e05ce3c4.0411021207.30b9fc31@posting.google.com>,
> casioculture@gmail.com (Mike Henley) wrote:
>
>> Which one would you buy... and why?
>
> Why?

I've just made the decision and in the end it came down to size - the T3 is
smaller - I've just completed my first day with it in my jeans pocket and
its far less noticeable than the m515 that it replaces and the T5 is bigger
all round than the m515.
The only thing that may have swayed me to the T5 is the ability to edit Word
files etc straight on the Palm while its plugged into the PC without messing
about with synching but I always came back to size. Also for the less than a
T5 I could buy a T3 plus a 512M SD card.... so which should I buy a 512M
card or a 1G card - I know I can fill either at a stroke!
!