USB Port Problem on GX270 Mini Tower PC

Mike

Splendid

At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
sometimes work and sometimes they don't, e.g.,
two different usb drives are used by the same user. Both drives are always
recognized per beep and the remove usb device icon that appears in the
system tray, but sometimes the drives aren't available and don't show up in
My Computer or Device Manager. Rebooting the PC will usually cause the USB
to be recognized. Any idea what's going on with the USB ports? Hiow can I
fix the problem?

Thanks,

Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>sometimes work and sometimes they don't

I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
leaves you open to wierd stuff...

A small understatement. Unless the two computers have absolutely identical
chipsets, a ghosted image from one to the other is a very unreliable way to go.
I'll bet that the GX270 mini tower has at least one device with a yellow
exclamation point (or even a red thingie!) in Device Manager... Ben Myers

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:46:16 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>>sometimes work and sometimes they don't
>
>I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
>and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
>chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
>leaves you open to wierd stuff...

Mike

Splendid

Good point. I'll reinstall the USB drivers.

Mike

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>>sometimes work and sometimes they don't
>
> I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
> and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
> chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
> leaves you open to wierd stuff...

Mike

Splendid

Oddly enough, no errors in device manager. Now that I think of it there
are problems with the USB ports on the ghosted PCs with the correct image,
but the problem is different, i.e., got to reload USB drivers before the USB
port is active.

Mike

>A small understatement. Unless the two computers have absolutely identical
> chipsets, a ghosted image from one to the other is a very unreliable way
> to go.
> I'll bet that the GX270 mini tower has at least one device with a yellow
> exclamation point (or even a red thingie!) in Device Manager... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:46:16 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:
>
>>"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>>>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>>>sometimes work and sometimes they don't
>>
>>I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
>>and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
>>chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
>>leaves you open to wierd stuff...

You may also want to check the power management settings and see if the
USB hub is set to power down with inactivity.

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in news:bPcOd.15975$uc.3857@trnddc08:

> Oddly enough, no errors in device manager. Now that I think of it
> there are problems with the USB ports on the ghosted PCs with the
> correct image, but the problem is different, i.e., got to reload USB
> drivers before the USB port is active.
>
> Mike
>
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>A small understatement. Unless the two computers have absolutely
>>identical
>> chipsets, a ghosted image from one to the other is a very unreliable
>> way to go.
>> I'll bet that the GX270 mini tower has at least one device with a
>> yellow exclamation point (or even a red thingie!) in Device
>> Manager... Ben Myers

>>>I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
>>>and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
>>>chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine
>>>always leaves you open to wierd stuff...

try going into
start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintence-system-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-
point to the computer name at the top of the list, right click, and choose
'scan for hardware changes'

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>>sometimes work and sometimes they don't
>
> I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
> and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
> chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
> leaves you open to wierd stuff...

Go to the higher education of business site at dell.com, plug in your
service tag number and select download software. All drivers for gx270 mini
tower will be displayed. These are the same files you would find on the
blue Optiplex CD. You need the chipset driver.

> try going into
> start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintence-system-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-
> point to the computer name at the top of the list, right click, and choose
> 'scan for hardware changes'
>
> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>>>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>>>sometimes work and sometimes they don't
>>
>> I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
>> and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
>> chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
>> leaves you open to wierd stuff...

Mike

Splendid

Will do.

Mike

> try going into
> start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintence-system-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-
> point to the computer name at the top of the list, right click, and choose
> 'scan for hardware changes'
>
> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>At work we have a gx270 mini tower pc that was ghosted with XP Pro (ghost
>>>image may be for a gx270 slim line PC) The USB ports on the back of the
>>>sometimes work and sometimes they don't
>>
>> I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
>> and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
>> chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
>> leaves you open to wierd stuff...

Mike

Splendid

I'll do that.

Mike

"schema" <schema46@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Go to the higher education of business site at dell.com, plug in your
> service tag number and select download software. All drivers for gx270
> mini tower will be displayed. These are the same files you would find on
> the blue Optiplex CD. You need the chipset driver.
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> try going into
>> start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintence-system-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-
>> point to the computer name at the top of the list, right click, and
>> choose
>> 'scan for hardware changes'
>>
>> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'd (re)load the chipset drivers that apply to that motherboard,
>>> and/or use the Intel chipset identifier and get the latest Intel
>>> chipset drivers. Restoring an image to a non-identical machine always
>>> leaves you open to wierd stuff...

Mike

Splendid

Didn't see any option for USB power management under Power.
I'll look again Momday.

Yesterday I noticed the 512MB USB lexar media jumpdrive 2.0 pro
shows as a device in the "safely remove hardware" window but it's still not
visible in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Mike