"Favorites" on Internet Explorer lost links

August 19, 2005 11:03:20 PM

This morning when I went on the Internet and clicked on Favorites on the
menu bar, all the links had disappeared. The only menu items were "Add to
Favorites..." and "Manage Favorites..." Even clicking on those menu items
allows no action to be taken.

The Favorites on the hard disk under "Documents and Settings" still lists
all the links. I tried to perform an uninstall of Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
thinking this may have had something to do with the problem. But the install
wouldn't complete, giving this error message: "Couldn't find
'%USERPROFILES%\Favorites\' -- this recalled to mind that one of the
security programs (M/S AntiSpyware Beta, Norton NSW or NIS) asked something
about this file, and I think I might have answered "No" without really
understanding what it was asking. The way it stands now I can't even
reconstruct the Favorites -- it's just a dead menu item.

I can't find the "%USERPROFILES....." on the hard disk, but guess this has
something if not all to do with the problem. None of my System Restore
points gave any joy on this. I'm hoping one of the MVPs (or other experts)
can give me some helpful advice on this. It wouldn't be the first time
you've bailed me out of a problem!

Many thanks in advance for the time and wisdom you may be able to impart.

More about : favorites internet explorer lost links

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:58:04 PM

'%USERPROFILES%' is Documents and Settings.

Frank

"GeneHo12" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> This morning when I went on the Internet and clicked on Favorites on the
> menu bar, all the links had disappeared. The only menu items were "Add to
> Favorites..." and "Manage Favorites..." Even clicking on those menu items
> allows no action to be taken.
>
> The Favorites on the hard disk under "Documents and Settings" still lists
> all the links. I tried to perform an uninstall of Microsoft AntiSpyware
> Beta thinking this may have had something to do with the problem. But the
> install wouldn't complete, giving this error message: "Couldn't find
> '%USERPROFILES%\Favorites\' -- this recalled to mind that one of the
> security programs (M/S AntiSpyware Beta, Norton NSW or NIS) asked
> something about this file, and I think I might have answered "No" without
> really understanding what it was asking. The way it stands now I can't
> even reconstruct the Favorites -- it's just a dead menu item.
>
> I can't find the "%USERPROFILES....." on the hard disk, but guess this has
> something if not all to do with the problem. None of my System Restore
> points gave any joy on this. I'm hoping one of the MVPs (or other
> experts) can give me some helpful advice on this. It wouldn't be the
> first time you've bailed me out of a problem!
>
> Many thanks in advance for the time and wisdom you may be able to impart.

August 20, 2005 3:52:03 AM

Hi Gene,

Go to Start/Run/Regedit then navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders

Look in the right pane for the Favorites value. Note the full path to the
Favorites folder.

This value should be a REG_SZ value type, not a REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If its
the latter of the two, right click Favorites and select Delete. Then right
click in the right pane and select New, String value and name it Favorites.
Double click the new entry and enter the path to the Favorites folder (you
should have noted it, above).

Added tips:

FavesToGo - Save Favorites Quickly (Line 108)

Favorites Folder Location and Saving Tips for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_side_issues.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"GeneHo12" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> This morning when I went on the Internet and clicked on Favorites on the
> menu bar, all the links had disappeared. The only menu items were "Add to
> Favorites..." and "Manage Favorites..." Even clicking on those menu items
> allows no action to be taken.
>
> The Favorites on the hard disk under "Documents and Settings" still lists
> all the links. I tried to perform an uninstall of Microsoft AntiSpyware
> Beta thinking this may have had something to do with the problem. But the
> install wouldn't complete, giving this error message: "Couldn't find
> '%USERPROFILES%\Favorites\' -- this recalled to mind that one of the
> security programs (M/S AntiSpyware Beta, Norton NSW or NIS) asked
> something about this file, and I think I might have answered "No" without
> really understanding what it was asking. The way it stands now I can't
> even reconstruct the Favorites -- it's just a dead menu item.
>
> I can't find the "%USERPROFILES....." on the hard disk, but guess this has
> something if not all to do with the problem. None of my System Restore
> points gave any joy on this. I'm hoping one of the MVPs (or other
> experts) can give me some helpful advice on this. It wouldn't be the
> first time you've bailed me out of a problem!
>
> Many thanks in advance for the time and wisdom you may be able to impart.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:06:47 AM

"FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in message
> '%USERPROFILES%' is Documents and Settings.
>
> Frank

Well, that's of interest and I know more than before. I must confess that
I'm not certain how the knowledge helps me fix the problem. Should I
reinstall Internet Explorer, or can I do this, and if so, will it set things
right?

!