Yet Another New Kick-Ass System

tysonkoska

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
Need maximum speed for calculations and database hits... not too graphics intensive but i do have a weak spot for certain strategy games... I'd love to hear your guys opinions on how to build a VERY fast box with the latest stuff...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tysonkoska on 06/20/03 09:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Xenius

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2002
If money isn't an issue....

Motherboard - ASUS P4P800 DELUXE
Processor - p4 3.0c or wait until (monday?) and get 3.2c
Ram - 1 Gig corsair pc3500 (2x512)

As you haven't said if your looking for the who shabang or not, I just listed the core. (Motherboard, Memory, Processor) Hope that helps.

--Xenius
-non computer guru

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I just built a brand new system and I'm loving it.

Motherboard - ASUS P4C800 DELUXE (note the C, it makes the system cost about $50 more then the p but I like the idea of haveing the offical pat rather then hyperpath)
Processor - p4 2.8c (with the fsp set to 215 for a cpu speed of 3012 mhz running around 33-36 idle and low 50s with intese gameing)
Ram - 1 Gig Kingston HyperX pc3500 (2x512)
Video - I'm running an ATI 9700 Pro but I would just go with the new NVIDIA 5900 as I already had the 9700.
Power - Antec True Power 430
Case - Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG with 4 fans (1 more is optional)
Well tool around and read up on everything.
Good luck.

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Hi!

Consider this just as a general thoughts, since I have far to little information about your needs, I just play with some ideas. Please do come back with more info about your specifik needs and perhaps even your budget and timelimit.

Calculations and databashits? Well, how about a dual opteron solution? Atleast consider it. Anyway, as far as I know (stikin out the old neck here) teh good old AMDs are better than the Intels at this department. Becasue its raw caluculation power you need, not bandwith where the Intels are superior.

Now there is Opteron mobos with AGP. Only money is an object.
"NTSI Announces Opteron with AGP graphics for CAD/CAM

Technology Solutions, Inc.(NTSI) announced a new 64 bit workstation based on the Arima HDAMB motherboard and the AMD OpteronTM processor. This is the first Opteron motherboard to support the high performance 8X AGP graphics cards needed by the engineering community. "

Anyway

GL

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since extra onboard features don't give you more performance, I'd probably go with the Abit IS7 and a P4 3.0C. But I'd wait until the 3.2C comes out, because that should push the 3.0C into more reasonable pricing.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>