Registry Corrupted?

I keep getting these messages when I'm online telling me my registry is
corrupted. These messages always try to direct me to some website (different
every time) that will repair it. They start off saying "Message from SECURITY
to ALERT". How can I deal with this? I don't want registry problems or these
stupid pop-ups anymore!
Any help is appreciated,
Lana
2 answers Last reply
More about registry corrupted

    Lana wrote:
    > I keep getting these messages when I'm online telling me my registry is
    > corrupted. These messages always try to direct me to some website (different
    > every time) that will repair it. They start off saying "Message from SECURITY
    > to ALERT". How can I deal with this? I don't want registry problems or these
    > stupid pop-ups anymore!
    > Any help is appreciated,
    > Lana

    You are the intended victim of a scam.

    The so-called warnings are actually spam advertising from one or
    more of several very unscrupulous "businesses." They're trying to sell
    you patches that Microsoft provides free-of-charge, and using a very
    intrusive means of advertising. It's also demonstrating that your PC is
    very unsecured.

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
    Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
    use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
    and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
    ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
    these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UP ports 135,
    137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
    may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
    to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
    specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
    http://www.sygatetech.com/

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

    Home PC Firewall Guide
    http://www.firewallguide.com/

    Scumware.com
    http://www.scumware.com/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Lana,

    To disable the Messenger Service:

    Go to Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. Double click the
    Messenger Service and change Automatic to Disabled, then click the Stop
    button.

    Or use this automated edit:

    Disable Messenger Service (Line 95)

    To Delete the Messenger Service:

    Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: sc delete messenger. Reboot.

    Or...

    Or go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

    It may be wise to disable the Administrative Alerts Service as well.
    Specify the Schedule for Alerter Service - This setting is used to specify
    how often the server checks alert conditions and sends any required alert
    messages to administrative users.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Lana" <Lana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I keep getting these messages when I'm online telling me my registry is
    > corrupted. These messages always try to direct me to some website
    > (different
    > every time) that will repair it. They start off saying "Message from
    > SECURITY
    > to ALERT". How can I deal with this? I don't want registry problems or
    > these
    > stupid pop-ups anymore!
    > Any help is appreciated,
    > Lana