Bat File Options Missing

August 19, 2005 4:43:03 PM

Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when i
right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing. How can
i fix this.

Kevin
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:19:54 PM

Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk
and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for
the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT files)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
> i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
> How can i fix this.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>
> Kevin
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:07:02 AM

Thanks for the info Wesley. I did try the Batch Association Fix. However
when I right click the options still are not there. I even rebooted after
running the fix. Still no options. Anything else I can try??

Kevin

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk
> and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
> viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for
> the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
> file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>
> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT files)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
> > i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
> > How can i fix this.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> >
> > Kevin

August 20, 2005 12:26:12 PM

What about the reg file fix? What does that come as - a batch or vbs file?

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:o U1qOwQpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk
> and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
> viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for
> the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
> file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>
> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT files)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
>> i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
>> How can i fix this.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>
>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:26:13 PM

As indicated by Wes, it is a .reg file and not a batch or vbs.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o jVVE0QpFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
What about the reg file fix? What does that come as - a batch or vbs file?

news:o U1qOwQpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard
> disk
> and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
> viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings
> for
> the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
> file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>
> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT
> files)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
>> i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
>> How can i fix this.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>
>> Kevin

August 20, 2005 12:26:13 PM

<LOL> Good question, David. But yes the .reg fix is a .reg file. So
shouldn't the .exe fix be an .exe?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o jVVE0QpFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
What about the reg file fix? What does that come as - a batch or vbs file?

news:o U1qOwQpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard
> disk
> and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
> viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings
> for
> the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
> file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>
> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT
> files)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
>> i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
>> How can i fix this.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>
>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 12:42:51 PM

Zip was a reg.

"TryingToHelp" <somewhere@internet.net> wrote in message news:o PauG7QpFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> As indicated by Wes, it is a .reg file and not a batch or vbs.
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o jVVE0QpFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What about the reg file fix? What does that come as - a batch or vbs file?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> news:o U1qOwQpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
>> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
>> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard
>> disk
>> and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
>> viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings
>> for
>> the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
>> file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>>
>> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT
>> files)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
>> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
>>> i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
>>> How can i fix this.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>>
>>> Kevin

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:07:46 AM

Kevin,

These are the batfile context menu options:
Open
Edit
Print
There is no Run. Open performs that function.

Doug Knox's fix includes the registry entries that are related to the right
click context menu. However, the fix doesn't remove what should not be
there!

Open Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
See if you have this key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

You should not have that key!

Edit Gone from your Context Menu?
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/147587...

You should have these keys...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\DefaultIcon
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\print
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\print\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\DropHandler
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property
Page

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E399D64C-9618-4DA3-92AD-A66D535013BC@microsoft.com,
Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for the info Wesley. I did try the Batch Association Fix. However
> when I right click the options still are not there. I even rebooted after
> running the fix. Still no options. Anything else I can try??
>
> Kevin
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
>> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
>> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard
>> disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files
>> can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default
>> settings for the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the
>> download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>>
>> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT
>> files)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
>> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason
>>> when i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are
>>> missing. How can i fix this.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
>>>
>>> Kevin
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:07:01 AM

Wesley,

Thank you very much that did the trick. All is well now, and works like a
charm.

Again thank you.

Kevin

"Kevin" wrote:

> Thanks for the info Wesley. I did try the Batch Association Fix. However
> when I right click the options still are not there. I even rebooted after
> running the fix. Still no options. Anything else I can try??
>
> Kevin
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Windows® XP File Association Fixes
> > Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
> >
> > The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
> > file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk
> > and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
> > viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for
> > the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
> > file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
> >
> > Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT files)
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
> > Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Hope someone can help. I am running XP PRO SP2, and for some reason when
> > > i right click on a BAT file, the options to Edit/Open/Run are missing.
> > > How can i fix this.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> > >
> > > Kevin

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:13:19 PM

Kevin,

You had this key and deleted it?

In news:CAC59E94-590D-4735-BB11-0FD351685CBF@microsoft.com,
Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> Thank you very much that did the trick. All is well now, and works like a
> charm.
>
> Again thank you.
>
> Kevin
>
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info Wesley. I did try the Batch Association Fix.
>> However when I right click the options still are not there. I even
>> rebooted after running the fix. Still no options. Anything else I can
>> try??
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
>>> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>>
>>> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
>>> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard
>>> disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files
>>> can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default
>>> settings for the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the
>>> download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>>>
>>> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT
>>> files)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:3677B19F-428A-483A-93BA-101FBE44A36A@microsoft.com,
>>> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:13:20 PM

Wesley,

That is correct. Had the ContextMenuHandlers in the shellex, deleted it and
everything came back as before.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Kevin

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> You had this key and deleted it?
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:CAC59E94-590D-4735-BB11-0FD351685CBF@microsoft.com,
> Kevin <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Wesley,
> >
> > Thank you very much that did the trick. All is well now, and works like a
> > charm.
> >
> > Again thank you.
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > "Kevin" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the info Wesley. I did try the Batch Association Fix.
> >> However when I right click the options still are not there. I even
> >> rebooted after running the fix. Still no options. Anything else I can
> >> try??
> >>
> >> Kevin

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:55:55 PM

Kevin,

Glad to hear everything is A-OK. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:85054435-8621-45C3-AD2A-36CEC80959DA@microsoft.com,

August 25, 2005 5:53:53 AM

Great info, Wes. :o )

--

> [...]
>> However
>> when I right click the options still are not there. I even rebooted
>> after
>> running the fix. Still no options. Anything else I can try??
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> Windows® XP File Association Fixes
>>> Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
>>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>>
>>> The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
>>> file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard
>>> disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files
>>> can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default
>>> settings for the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the
>>> download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!
>>>
>>> Batch File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for BAT

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:33:24 PM

I manage to find something worth while now and again. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User