Windows 7 booting directly into System Repair

wiztech_cc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I have a computer where it keeps booting into the "System Repair" menu. It hasn't done this before.

Recently had lightning struck a transformer. Phones all rang and tv went bizzare! Lucky we had a surge protector.

Well...the computer wasn't doing this before. It use to boot fine but after the transformer problem it starts to boot. Then goes into a screen where it says "Launch System Repair" and "Start windows normally". Even if I select start windows normally it would still go into the system repair menu. I ran PC Check and my hardware all passed. My hard drive passed the SMART self extended test too.

Right now I'm booting off Hirens 15.1 into Mini XP. Any reason this could be happening and could this be remedied? Thanks.

I'm pretty tech savvy but I know I ain't the best.
It's a Gateway sx2801

jemm

Distinguished
Yes, Bootrec.exe seems to be helpful, but before you use this tool, get into the Bios and check the boot order settings -- it should be set to start from the hard drive.

If it is already set to start from the hard drive, then you may need to set it to start from the DVD drive, if you want to use Bootrec.exe tool.

wiztech_cc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Tried. Doesn't matter what boot order. Changed the sata controller from ahci to ide and back didn't change. Haven't tried bootrec yet.

wiztech_cc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Tried booting into safe mode. Same thing happens and WHEN I do run a system restore it just reboots after completing then going to that same damn system repair screen xP

Just a thought, have you checked in the BIOS that you are booting from the correct partition? With Windows 7 at installation it creates two partitions. One of the partitions is the system partition and the other is the system repair partition which is 100 to 200MB. If you are booting from the system repair partition you will get the problem you describe.

jemm

Distinguished
Does the system allow you to go for a clean OS installation? If so, then I think it´s way to fix this issue -- assuming it ins´t a hardware problem.

Just now I realized that the transformer you mentioned is the one outside in the street, eh? I don´t know, but where I live if a lightning struck a transformer, thus breaking stuff in the house, the electricity company has to pay you for the damages caused by the lightning -- usually the stuff doesn´t need to be on warranty, but you do need a receipt to be able to claim refunds.

wiztech_cc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
The system does allow for clean install but I tend not to go that way since I'm lazy.

Yes the transformer was the one out in the street. (sorry forgot to mention that).

I'll try that bootrec.exe thing and if nothing happens then I'll just FNR it.

wiztech_cc

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Well I'd try bootrec.exe. Nothing really happens. Did ALL the options actually.

Maybe this will help too? Sounds like a pretty good idea.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/how-to-change-bootable-partition/907c92bc-67ff-469c-8cd9-73e86f647de0

If I hide the System Repair/Restore partition and make the Windows partition (which is labeled as "Compaq") active will that solve anything? I haven't hid it yet, but I've made the Windows partition active. Yet nothing xP.

Currently running Memtest86+

TRENDING THREADS