Tech: EM 1973 Gottlieb Hot Shot - 100, 1000 points not sco..

Hi All,

I'm helping a friend fix up his Hot Shot, everything is working now
except the playfield 100 point targets and the bumper scoring even
though the bumper fires properly (1000 points so I think it's related),
the 1000 point scoring rollovers (although they work when not lit for
500 points). I only had time for a quick look at the schematic, I'm
pretty certain I have a score motor switch that is not making/breaking
properly. Can anyone give me any pointers?

regards
Paul

>Can anyone give me any pointers?

First thing- go on the head and make sure the relays in the head pulse
the score reels when pushed by hand.

A stuck relay (from a stuck switch) could latch up the relay and
prevent any other scores. The game may even reset properly

Kirb

Can you explain the problems in a bit more detail?
Does the 100 point reel work when carrying over from the 10's reel?
Does any 100-point item work?
Your title says 1000 not working but the text below says 1000 is
working. Which is it?

If 1000 is working for a rollover but 500 is not, then start by checking
out the 500 relay to be sure it's active, latching , and the switches
are good. Does the score motor run when a 500-rollover happens?

Answer all those and we here can guarantee to fix your machine just
right :)

In article <1120781832.655875.52470@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
stokiebouy@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm helping a friend fix up his Hot Shot, everything is working now
> except the playfield 100 point targets and the bumper scoring even
> though the bumper fires properly (1000 points so I think it's related),
> the 1000 point scoring rollovers (although they work when not lit for
> 500 points). I only had time for a quick look at the schematic, I'm
> pretty certain I have a score motor switch that is not making/breaking
> properly. Can anyone give me any pointers?
>
> regards
> Paul

Hi Carl,

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post, and also that it's taken
me a while to respond, work gets in the way of playing I'm afraid.

At the top of the playfield are 3 lanes, middle one is for the 8 ball
and works fine. Either side are 1000 point rollovers, they do not work
at all, nothing, no chime, no score. Below that is the jet bumper, it
fires but does not score any points (supposed to be 1000 points).
Below the jet bumper are 2 100 point targets, they do nothing when hit,
no chime no score. Below these, halfway up the playfield on either
side are 2 rollovers. When not lit they work fine, chime and score 500
points. When lit they do nothing, no chime, no score, supposed to be
1000 points.

At the bottom both outlanes are 1000 point rollovers, again they don't
work.

If the ball drains below the flippers then if at least one of the drop
targets on the game has been hit the game scores 1000 points for each
drop target hit. If no drop targets have been hit the game doesn't
score any 1000 points (I believe this is working correctly).

I've checked the rollover switches with my voltmeter, they make and
break fine, during the game when the ball rollsover them they do
absolutely nothing, no clicks or anything. This leads me to believe
that there is a switch somewhere in the score motor that controls the
scoring circuit for 100 & 1000 points that isn't making/breaking
properly.

The 3 coils in the backbox all fire L, M, N (score points (100, 1000) &
chime) when activated by hand.

I'm trying to get hold of the schematic for further research.

Any help much appreciated.

regards
Paul

Interesting that the bonus counts 1000s fine but nothing else does. It
might be worth checking the connector plugs on the playfield (that
connect the wiring harness to the relays in the box). Ditto for the
connectors to the back box -- that might be the place that the 100s
things are failing.

It may be that the alternating relay that controls the "when lit" stuff
has some bad contacts, so see if there's a switch on that relay that's
supposed to be closed but is open or dirty.

The score motor shouldn't be active for a single 100 or 1000 event, so I
doubt that plays into it. It is possible that the Start or Hold relay
has a bad contact related to the 100s.

The good news :) is that overall your machine is doing most things
right. At some point you will find the bad contact(s).

In article <1120931914.243052.93840@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
stokiebouy@gmail.com wrote:

> At the top of the playfield are 3 lanes, middle one is for the 8 ball
> and works fine. Either side are 1000 point rollovers, they do not work
> at all, nothing, no chime, no score. Below that is the jet bumper, it
> fires but does not score any points (supposed to be 1000 points).
> Below the jet bumper are 2 100 point targets, they do nothing when hit,
> no chime no score. Below these, halfway up the playfield on either
> side are 2 rollovers. When not lit they work fine, chime and score 500
> points. When lit they do nothing, no chime, no score, supposed to be
> 1000 points.
>
> At the bottom both outlanes are 1000 point rollovers, again they don't
> work.
>
> If the ball drains below the flippers then if at least one of the drop
> targets on the game has been hit the game scores 1000 points for each
> drop target hit. If no drop targets have been hit the game doesn't
> score any 1000 points (I believe this is working correctly).
>

> I've checked the rollover switches with my voltmeter, they make and
> break fine, during the game when the ball rollsover them they do
> absolutely nothing, no clicks or anything. This leads me to believe
> that there is a switch somewhere in the score motor that controls the
> scoring circuit for 100 & 1000 points that isn't making/breaking
> properly.
>
> The 3 coils in the backbox all fire L, M, N (score points (100, 1000) &
> chime) when activated by hand.
>
> I'm trying to get hold of the schematic for further research.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> regards
> Paul

Check to see if all the plugs are plugged into the back box, I had a Big
Indian that didn't score 10, 100, or 1000.
It drove me nuts trying to figure it out and it ended up that I missed a 3
wire plug in the bottom box that was to be
connected in the backbox, dummy me.

Kirk