Upgrade CPU on 8710 Celeron 667

Is there? Or has anyone information on upgrading a HP8710 with a
Celeron 667 to a faster CPU?

Wow! Talk about confusing yourself and confusing your customers. HP's web site
turns up a "Build To Order" model of the 8710 which may have one of several
CPUs, a Celeron, several different Pentium IIIs, several different AMD Athlons,
or several different Pentium 4's.

Can you respond with the HP model number on the back of your unit, something
like P1422A???

For sure, the system can take a Celeron 766, which hardly helps speed up the
system. The motherboard has an Intel 810 chipset and PC100 memory which implies
that it will support the lower voltage Celeron processors with 100MHz front side
bus, ranging up to about 1.1GHz. One of these will help quite a bit, but make
sure it is the Celeron running at 1.7v, because Intel also produced lower
voltage 1.1GHz Celery chips.

Maximum memory is 512MB with the 810 chipset, and adding more memory would give
the system more kick, especially if the memory is the original 64MB shipped in
some 8710 models... Ben Myers

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:42:42 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr <tom041652@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Is there? Or has anyone information on upgrading a HP8710 with a
>Celeron 667 to a faster CPU?

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:42:42 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr
<tom041652@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is there? Or has anyone information on upgrading a HP8710 with a
>Celeron 667 to a faster CPU?

OK, here is the skinny on this computer

HP 8710 Celeron 667, 512MB SDRAM 133MHz

S/N US04954376

ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 Motherboard 370 Socket FC-PGA

I updated the BIOS about 11 months ago to Phoenix Tech. 6.00 PG
Platform IBM PC/AT or compatible, Intel 810E Chipset
Video 82810e 810e Chipset Graphics Controller, 1MB

Belarc Advisor Info

Windows 2000 Pro / SP4 (build 2195)

Board: i810-47B27X
Bus Clock: 66Mhz

So, I would like to go up to 1+GHz with either a Celeron or Pentium
III (Coppermine).

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:42:42 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr
<tom041652@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is there? Or has anyone information on upgrading a HP8710 with a
>Celeron 667 to a faster CPU?

Well, I now have a Celeron 1.3GHz Tualatin-Core running on my HP-8710.
After much research and testing I found out that there are more than
one MEW-AM MoBo. If you have a Rev. 2.01, run Intel's CPUz 1.26
program and it will tell you that you have a FC-PGA socket which
Stratton Computer sells a upgrade for to a FC-PGA2 and get about 45%
increase in CPU speed. Too bad I can't up the FSB speed...but small
gains are good too.

Now to collect the parts and build my Althon 64bit...I have the Case,
PS, Motherboard so far.

Tom

OK, I now have a Celeron 1.3GHz Tualatin Core CPU running on my HP
8710. After some research and testing (Intel's CPUz 1.26) I found I
had a ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 MoBo that has a FC-PGA Socket.

Stratton Computers 370GU CPU upgrade kit gave me a 45-50% increase in
CPU speed.

Now to find a new Video Card and this old HP computer will get another
2-3 years use while I collect my parts to build a AMD Althon 64bit
system with 4GB of memory.....