Sign in with
Your question

Random windows restart with no BSOD

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 30, 2012 7:50:51 PM

Il start off by saying im sorry if this is in the wrong section, but im not sure where to post this. Recently i have started getting random restarts and no BSODs and no dump files are created. I have done memtest and the ram is fine. I have gone through and reseated it and still nothing. I have done some reading on here and i believe it may be my psu. Here are a few specs.

Dell XPS 720
q6600 quad core
750w psu
nvidia geforce gtx 295
4 gigs of dell ram

Now for the list of things i have tried....

-Bought new ram and went up to 8 gigs. Now this created separate problems and wouldnt even boot the system will all the ram in. Would only work if sticks were in slots 1 thru 3. But that is a separate issue. Decided to go back to 4 gig stock ram.

-Bought a new hd, OCZ 128 gb ssd (i think. im at work so i cant be 100% sure). Installed fresh win 7 x64 and same problem

-Tried installing windows on a couple other spare hard drives i had. Nothing.

-Put old geforce 8800gt video card back in and reinstalled drivers. still same problem.

-Unhooked dvd drive, audio card, and network card. Only had hard drive and vid card plugged in. Still same problem.

-Tried different installing old windows xp x32 i had. Still nothing.

That is about where i am at. I cant think of the other 15 things ive tried other than swapping out the psu. Also, it only random reboots if i let it sit and do nothing for about 10 minutes or when i try to open programs like 3d max, photoshop, any virus scan software, or try to install any new program or update windows. BUT, if i play any game it runs perfectly fine. No lagging, freezing, rebooting, BSOD. This is where i am completely stumped. Any help, advice, verbal beatings or flames is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Mike
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2012 8:02:54 PM

Spontaneous reboots are almost always a symptom of a hardware problem.

First, to eliminate any overheating issues, thoroughly clean all heatsinks and fans.

Do not however simply stick a vacuum hose in there and wave it around, that's a great way to kill a system with static discharges. Use a soft bristle brush (paint brush works well here) and a can of compressed air. Just use the vacuum to catch the dust cloud.

Second, inspect the CPU heatsink and make sure that it is seated squarely on the CPU (no airgap). Remove and reapply heatsink compound as necessary.

Third, if you have access to another power supply try it. Power supplies are known to age and degrade with time.
October 30, 2012 8:37:04 PM

Thank you for the fast response. However, i forgot to state that i thoroughly cleaned out my pc last week. And i mean removed all fans, dvd drive, hard drives, video cards, and heat sink. Also, i cleaned the cpu and heatsink faces and reapplied new heatsink goop. I am going to try to get a hold of a power supply some time this week and see if that is the problem.
Related resources
October 31, 2012 11:29:47 AM

ok new update. last night my computer decided to reboot everytime the windows logo came up on startup. Would make it to the first screen with logo and reboot, and it would keep doing this until i just shut the computer off. I pulled that hard drive and put the new ocz ssd in there with win7 on it. Now it boots fine and no random restarts, however it just decides to completely freeze on me after a few minutes. I cant do anything other than a hard power down. Totally stumped now.
a b $ Windows 7
October 31, 2012 12:07:16 PM

Definite hardware problem. Download memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) and run no less than 3 complete cycles on each stick of RAM in each slot (gonna take a while). Then repeat with pairs.
October 31, 2012 2:07:00 PM

ok thanks, i will give it a shot. I did have trouble before when i bought some corsair ram at 2 gigs per stick running 4 sticks. It would run fine with sticks in slots 1,2 and 3 but id put one in the 4th and it would give me a diagnostic error and not boot the computer.
!