TECH: MB Video/Sound Problem

Recently sold a MB to a nice guy Fresno. Used NAVL to ship and it
seemed to show up just fine.

It left Chicago working just fine. Upon arrival in Fresno, absolutely
no sound or video.

The guy isn't very technical so debugging is going to be a challenge.
Here is what I know.

1) The machine boots and when the start button is hit, the machine
does play.

2) The fuses "appear" to be ok, but he is running to Radio Shack to
get some new ones.

3) He doesn't own an Ohm meter, but is getting one (he will need this
in pinball anyway :)

4) The LED on the sound/video board is not on at all.

5) The molex connectors around the board seem to be all in place.

Here are some ?'s

1) what is a good way to debug this problem?

2) Assuming it is the board, what are my options for us getting a new
one?

3) He lives in Fresno CA. Is there anyone out that way that might be
able to make a house call?

4) How would you guys handle the expense to deal w/this? I know it
worked when it left, but feel obligated to help this, even if it means
helping out w/the expense.

Any feedback on this would be great !!!! Hope you all had a great 4th
and never take your freedom for granted !

Dave

Odd that you lost both. I would bet you lost a connector. Send me his #
and I will call to walk him thru some checks. Don

martin

Yes, such a failure points to lost power, or a loose ROM. The lack of
an LED puts the failure on the board or input connectors, not the right
hand side power or display connectors,

As luck would have it, I have a picture with the sound board connectors
that must be in place for the LED to light.

http://iobium.com/DSCN0782.JPG

Power is the Molex on the middle left of the board. Check this first,
both ends. I don't think that a fuse could cause this problem, as I
believe that the 5V is shared by the CPU and the sound board - the
machine would be completely dead.

The other simple check is the ROMS - make sure that they are all seated
by supporting the back side of the board with, say, a small stack of
paper and pressing the ROMS in with your thumb. There should be a
little creak.

Was the machine shipped insured? It is quite possible that there is
vibration damage. Not the carriers fault, so I don't know if insurance
covers it but it is worth asking.

Technicall, if you arranged shipping it is your problem as NAVL was
your agent and it arrived broken. If he arranged shipping, then NAVL is
his agent and he got it working in good order. Either way, though, the
right thing is to get the buyer happy.

..

Hopefully someone will contact you that can go over and give him a few
pointers. I'd start with connectors loose or off the boards in the head and
the DMD itself. LTG :)

martin wrote:
> Yes, such a failure points to lost power, or a loose ROM. The lack of
> an LED puts the failure on the board or input connectors, not the right
> hand side power or display connectors,
>
> As luck would have it, I have a picture with the sound board connectors
> that must be in place for the LED to light.
>
> http://iobium.com/DSCN0782.JPG
>
> Power is the Molex on the middle left of the board. Check this first,
> both ends. I don't think that a fuse could cause this problem, as I
> believe that the 5V is shared by the CPU and the sound board - the
> machine would be completely dead.
>
> The other simple check is the ROMS - make sure that they are all seated
> by supporting the back side of the board with, say, a small stack of
> paper and pressing the ROMS in with your thumb. There should be a
> little creak.
>
> Was the machine shipped insured? It is quite possible that there is
> vibration damage. Not the carriers fault, so I don't know if insurance
> covers it but it is worth asking.
>
> Technicall, if you arranged shipping it is your problem as NAVL was
> your agent and it arrived broken. If he arranged shipping, then NAVL is
> his agent and he got it working in good order. Either way, though, the
> right thing is to get the buyer happy.
>

> .

Still looking for some info on this one. Specifically if someone can
help debug this problem. It doesn't appear that there are any molex
connectors off at this point.

Does anyone live in the Fresno area that could help (even for hire?).
Also if it is the board, what does a new Sound/Video board run?

Really feel bad about this one.

Although the buyer arranged shipping, I still want to help him get it
going.

Dave

Just send me his phone # or have him drop a line to me. A/V boards are
250 up if you can find them. I would still doubt the board. Don

Just send me his phone # or have him drop a line to me. A/V boards are
250 up if you can find them. I would still doubt the board. Don

Boy, I hope it is something easy. Before it left, I got to Monster
Bash mode and all was working just fine. But shipping does funny
things to pins :(

I am sure we can find this one.

Dave