XP Explorer Problem (Crashing)

I'm having a problem with saved video files. I use Pinnacle software to
capture and edit video files. The problem that I'm having is when I use
windows explorer. I will open the drive containing the video files, open up
the diriectory containing files (I'm able to see them). Once I click on the
file to open it (default program is windows media player) explorer will
crash. It gives me a message that it explorer has encountered an error and
terminates explorer. This only happens when accessing large file video
clips. It really is a hassle once I'm done with the video clips and need to
delete them. My only work around is to open up the command prompt, navigate
to the directory and delete them using the "del" command. I would appreciate
any feedback from someone that may have seen this problem before.
Thanks and God Bless!

If you only want to delete them, why open them? Just right click>delete.
Does WMP open before Explorer crashes?
Does WMP work properly for other media or smaller files?
The devil's in the DETAILS!
--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"GerryS" <GerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem with saved video files. I use Pinnacle software to
> capture and edit video files. The problem that I'm having is when I use
> windows explorer. I will open the drive containing the video files, open
> up
> the diriectory containing files (I'm able to see them). Once I click on
> the
> file to open it (default program is windows media player) explorer will
> crash. It gives me a message that it explorer has encountered an error
> and
> terminates explorer. This only happens when accessing large file video
> clips. It really is a hassle once I'm done with the video clips and need
> delete them. My only work around is to open up the command prompt,
> navigate
> to the directory and delete them using the "del" command. I would
> appreciate
> any feedback from someone that may have seen this problem before.
> Thanks and God Bless!

GerryS <GerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm having a problem with saved video files. I use Pinnacle software to
>capture and edit video files. The problem that I'm having is when I use
>windows explorer. I will open the drive containing the video files, open up
>the diriectory containing files (I'm able to see them). Once I click on the
>file to open it (default program is windows media player) explorer will
>crash. It gives me a message that it explorer has encountered an error and
>terminates explorer. This only happens when accessing large file video
>clips. It really is a hassle once I'm done with the video clips and need to
>delete them. My only work around is to open up the command prompt, navigate
>to the directory and delete them using the "del" command. I would appreciate
>any feedback from someone that may have seen this problem before.
>Thanks and God Bless!

Disable all the M$ "whiz-bang" details that you display in explorer
and restrict it to only the "basics": Name, type, size, date modified.
M$ still has a LOOOONNNNGGG way to go before they are reliably able to
do much more than that, ESPECIALLY when it comes to video attributes.

kelly

Hi Gerry,

This has to do with how Windows XP previews files when opened with Explorer.

Suggestions:

1. Disable thumbnail view by going to Start/Run/CMD: regsvr32 /u
shmedia.dll
2. And/or run this edit. This edit prevents high usage when browsing AVI
files.

Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by
Windows - Norton Cleansweep:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314867

100% CPU usage when using Media Player/AVI files

Automated:

AVI Search History Remove/Refresh (Line 74)

Manual Edit: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to the key below and
delete the default data (right pane).

Or:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

Windows Stops Responding When You Click a Large AVI File in Windows
Explorer" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822430

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)