HD operating at too high temp?

I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case in a home office and I would
like to leave it on 24/7 to backup up 4 PCs over LAN. (If I have to remember
to turn it on each day, I wont get consistent backups)
The case has no fan but good space around it and vents for convection air
flow. Nothing sits on top of it and feet elevate so air can get underneath.

Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I leave
it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?

thanks for any insight

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:RkYOd.84022$Tf5.45469@lakeread03...
> I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case in a home office and I would
> like to leave it on 24/7 to backup up 4 PCs over LAN. (If I have to remember
> to turn it on each day, I wont get consistent backups)
> The case has no fan but good space around it and vents for convection air
> flow. Nothing sits on top of it and feet elevate so air can get underneath.
>
> Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
> could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I leave
> it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?

Why don't you measure drive temp during max load and see whether
the temp remains below the max operating temp listed in the drive's
environmental specs which are listed on the WD site? A quick
googling suggests that WD1200 drives don't support temperature
monitoring via SMART utilties. But it wouldn't hurt to double check
me on that and/or just try it. If you can't get temp that way, a multi-
meter temperature probe or digital thermometer could be used to
measure drive case temp. For reference:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200111/20011109Renaissance_10.html

> I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case <snip>
> Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
> could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I leave
> it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?

Give it a whirl and see how hot it gets - i`ve got an 80Gb drive in my
tower that runs hot, but hasn`t given me any problems.

If all else fails, you can get aluminium external cases that should be
able to dissipate heat better than a cheap plastic one.

Thats a good point. The drive is in a 3 year old USB Lacie metal chassis Im
using where I replaced a 50gb with the WD 120gb. It has a small fan, but I
disconnected it becuase its kind of loud and it right at my desk. its easy
enough to hook back up.
I also have a 2nd Acomdata 250gb in plastic case I just bought and it does
not have a fan. Its nice an quiet and doesnt seem to get too warm to touch.
thats why I thought may the WD in the LACIE case might be ok.

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I put a WD1200 7200rpm in a USB external case <snip>
>> Is this going to be a heat issue for the unit in this configuration that
>> could push it to operate over max temp or accellerate a failure. If I
>> leave
>> it on 24/7, how long should it theoritcally last?
>
> Give it a whirl and see how hot it gets - i`ve got an 80Gb drive in my
> tower that runs hot, but hasn`t given me any problems.
>
> If all else fails, you can get aluminium external cases that should be
> able to dissipate heat better than a cheap plastic one.
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

That a nice idea. I can give it try certainly if thermocouple is built in.
what are SMART utilities.? Can I download those for free somewhere?
thanks!

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:l7ePd.86355$Tf5.827@lakeread03...
> That a nice idea. I can give it try certainly if thermocouple is built in.
> what are SMART utilities.? Can I download those for free somewhere?
> thanks!

SMART = Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology. If
you google for that phrase you'll find alot of information.

I believe most hard drive manufacturers offer free diagnostic software.
For example, Western Digital offers "Data LifeGuard Diagnostics" and
you can find that on its site. There are other free, and payfor, programs
that are capable of displaying SMART data and which you can find
via google.