my hp pavilion zd8000 (5 months old, 1 gig mem, 1 gig ram) has started to
boot verrrry slowly in normal mode. it boots fine in safe mode. after the
initial startup screen, it stays black for about 5 minutes and the hard drive
useage light goes out. suddenly, it goes to the log in screen. after loggin
in, it loads my settings and goes to the blue hp screen. screech to a halt
for about another 8 to 10 minutes. the hard drive light goes out, blinks
haltingly, goes out, etc until suddenly all my icons appear.
i have run downloaded all the windows upgrades (automatic), ran norton
antivius and trendmicro online virus scans from safe mode with no virus, ran
counterspy and adaware and deleted all spy/adware found, ran windows on line
system scan which said the system was fine but needed to be defraged, checked
the startup file under msconfig - nothing new added, restarted with the
startup program block unchecked, no difference.
I have tried to run system restore under both safemode and regular boot, but
it wil not allow me to use it (tells me it could not restore after reboot).
after the login and when the screen is blue, i can run task manager by
clicking alt-cntrl-del. under process, it shows 00 under all cpu settings
except system idle which is at 99. Under performance, cpu usage stays at 0%
with occasional flickers to 2% for the next 8 or so minutes, when suddenly
all the startup programs begin to load and cpu usage shoots up.
HP has told me that i need to reinstall the entire OS. any ideas on how not
to do this?
thanks

You've been very busy, probably working faster than the PC it's
directed to. Sounds like a good plan of action. One thing I would
check is your System & Application Event Logs. Sometimes the
slow boot can be caused by Service Startup Time-outs. Also do
you have Networking adapters installed that aren't used (Wireless
or Firewire) >? Also, HPs (like Dells) come with all kinds of add
on stuff that's basically not used. Have you gone through the Add
Remove applet in Control Panel and removed non-essential or any
unwanted applications. Which A/V and Firewall software are you
using ?
Event View is available by Click Start, Run (Type)Eventvwr.Msc
[Press Enter] in each category look for Red Icons that denote an
error.

"major al" <major al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my hp pavilion zd8000 (5 months old, 1 gig mem, 1 gig ram) has started to
> boot verrrry slowly in normal mode. it boots fine in safe mode. after the
> initial startup screen, it stays black for about 5 minutes and the hard
> drive
> useage light goes out. suddenly, it goes to the log in screen. after
> loggin
> in, it loads my settings and goes to the blue hp screen. screech to a
> halt
> for about another 8 to 10 minutes. the hard drive light goes out, blinks
> haltingly, goes out, etc until suddenly all my icons appear.
> i have run downloaded all the windows upgrades (automatic), ran norton
> antivius and trendmicro online virus scans from safe mode with no virus,
> ran
> counterspy and adaware and deleted all spy/adware found, ran windows on
> line
> system scan which said the system was fine but needed to be defraged,
> checked
> the startup file under msconfig - nothing new added, restarted with the
> startup program block unchecked, no difference.
> I have tried to run system restore under both safemode and regular boot,
> but
> it wil not allow me to use it (tells me it could not restore after
> reboot).
> after the login and when the screen is blue, i can run task manager by
> clicking alt-cntrl-del. under process, it shows 00 under all cpu settings
> except system idle which is at 99. Under performance, cpu usage stays at
> 0%
> with occasional flickers to 2% for the next 8 or so minutes, when suddenly
> all the startup programs begin to load and cpu usage shoots up.
> HP has told me that i need to reinstall the entire OS. any ideas on how
> not
> to do this?
> thanks

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Should also think about doing a CHKDSK in safe mode.

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
You've been very busy, probably working faster than the PC it's
directed to. Sounds like a good plan of action. One thing I would
check is your System & Application Event Logs. Sometimes the
slow boot can be caused by Service Startup Time-outs. Also do
you have Networking adapters installed that aren't used (Wireless
or Firewire) >? Also, HPs (like Dells) come with all kinds of add
on stuff that's basically not used. Have you gone through the Add
Remove applet in Control Panel and removed non-essential or any
unwanted applications. Which A/V and Firewall software are you
using ?
Event View is available by Click Start, Run (Type)Eventvwr.Msc
[Press Enter] in each category look for Red Icons that denote an
error.

"major al" <major al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my hp pavilion zd8000 (5 months old, 1 gig mem, 1 gig ram) has started to
> boot verrrry slowly in normal mode. it boots fine in safe mode. after the
> initial startup screen, it stays black for about 5 minutes and the hard
> drive
> useage light goes out. suddenly, it goes to the log in screen. after
> loggin
> in, it loads my settings and goes to the blue hp screen. screech to a
> halt
> for about another 8 to 10 minutes. the hard drive light goes out, blinks
> haltingly, goes out, etc until suddenly all my icons appear.
> i have run downloaded all the windows upgrades (automatic), ran norton
> antivius and trendmicro online virus scans from safe mode with no virus,
> ran
> counterspy and adaware and deleted all spy/adware found, ran windows on
> line
> system scan which said the system was fine but needed to be defraged,
> checked
> the startup file under msconfig - nothing new added, restarted with the
> startup program block unchecked, no difference.
> I have tried to run system restore under both safemode and regular boot,
> but
> it wil not allow me to use it (tells me it could not restore after
> reboot).
> after the login and when the screen is blue, i can run task manager by
> clicking alt-cntrl-del. under process, it shows 00 under all cpu settings
> except system idle which is at 99. Under performance, cpu usage stays at
> 0%
> with occasional flickers to 2% for the next 8 or so minutes, when suddenly
> all the startup programs begin to load and cpu usage shoots up.
> HP has told me that i need to reinstall the entire OS. any ideas on how
> not
> to do this?
> thanks

kelly

Hi,

> with occasional flickers to 2% for the next 8 or so minutes, when suddenly
> all the startup programs begin to load and cpu usage shoots up.

Suggestions:

1. Run the Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns, and turn on the
following columns: "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Write Bytes." This will give
you details as to which process is accessing the disk.

2. Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

3. Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

4. How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
How to Use Clean Boot Troubleshooting for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_conflicts.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"major al" <major al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my hp pavilion zd8000 (5 months old, 1 gig mem, 1 gig ram) has started to
> boot verrrry slowly in normal mode. it boots fine in safe mode. after the
> initial startup screen, it stays black for about 5 minutes and the hard
> drive
> useage light goes out. suddenly, it goes to the log in screen. after
> loggin
> in, it loads my settings and goes to the blue hp screen. screech to a
> halt
> for about another 8 to 10 minutes. the hard drive light goes out, blinks
> haltingly, goes out, etc until suddenly all my icons appear.
> i have run downloaded all the windows upgrades (automatic), ran norton
> antivius and trendmicro online virus scans from safe mode with no virus,
> ran
> counterspy and adaware and deleted all spy/adware found, ran windows on
> line
> system scan which said the system was fine but needed to be defraged,
> checked
> the startup file under msconfig - nothing new added, restarted with the
> startup program block unchecked, no difference.
> I have tried to run system restore under both safemode and regular boot,
> but
> it wil not allow me to use it (tells me it could not restore after
> reboot).
> after the login and when the screen is blue, i can run task manager by
> clicking alt-cntrl-del. under process, it shows 00 under all cpu settings
> except system idle which is at 99. Under performance, cpu usage stays at
> 0%
> with occasional flickers to 2% for the next 8 or so minutes, when suddenly
> all the startup programs begin to load and cpu usage shoots up.
> HP has told me that i need to reinstall the entire OS. any ideas on how
> not
> to do this?
> thanks

fixed! it was the printer drivers. when i unplugged my hp 1218 printer, it
booted normally. I uninstalled the drivers, downloaded a new set,
reinstalled, and viole! all is well. Thanik you so much for all your help

"major al" wrote:

> my hp pavilion zd8000 (5 months old, 1 gig mem, 1 gig ram) has started to
> boot verrrry slowly in normal mode. it boots fine in safe mode. after the
> initial startup screen, it stays black for about 5 minutes and the hard drive
> useage light goes out. suddenly, it goes to the log in screen. after loggin
> in, it loads my settings and goes to the blue hp screen. screech to a halt
> for about another 8 to 10 minutes. the hard drive light goes out, blinks
> haltingly, goes out, etc until suddenly all my icons appear.
> i have run downloaded all the windows upgrades (automatic), ran norton
> antivius and trendmicro online virus scans from safe mode with no virus, ran
> counterspy and adaware and deleted all spy/adware found, ran windows on line
> system scan which said the system was fine but needed to be defraged, checked
> the startup file under msconfig - nothing new added, restarted with the
> startup program block unchecked, no difference.
> I have tried to run system restore under both safemode and regular boot, but
> it wil not allow me to use it (tells me it could not restore after reboot).
> after the login and when the screen is blue, i can run task manager by
> clicking alt-cntrl-del. under process, it shows 00 under all cpu settings
> except system idle which is at 99. Under performance, cpu usage stays at 0%
> with occasional flickers to 2% for the next 8 or so minutes, when suddenly
> all the startup programs begin to load and cpu usage shoots up.
> HP has told me that i need to reinstall the entire OS. any ideas on how not
> to do this?
> thanks

tinkerer

Distinguished