Need information on Norton Ghost 9.0

Hey guys,

I need some info on Norton Ghost 9.0

Basically what I want is this or will do this.......

I have a 40 GB hard disk where I have installed Windows XP with SP2 and
all the updates and will put all the necessary software like office
2003, Norton antivirus and bla bla bla I might need.

Can I take an image of this hard disk and save it on a DVD or something
and then can I restore the entire DVD on the same hard disk or any
other hard disk (this is important to restore the image to another hard
disk).

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what should I use for my case.

Thank you in advance
shailendra
20 answers Last reply
More about need information norton ghost

    well I want to know which software is best to take a DISK image and
    restore it on any hard disk. Is there even a software like this which
    exists ?

    so is Acronis True Image better than Ghost, I just want the process to
    be smooth and not waste time in installing all the operating system and
    extra software again.

    Do they have a demo version, like try before you buy ?

    "batham" wrote:
    > I have a 40 GB hard disk where I have installed
    > Windows XP with SP2 and all the updates and
    > will put all the necessary software like office
    > 2003, Norton antivirus and bla bla bla I might need.
    >
    > Can I take an image of this hard disk and save it
    > on a DVD or something and then can I restore the
    > entire DVD on the same hard disk or any other
    > hard disk (this is important to restore the image
    > to another hard disk).
    >
    > Do you guys have any suggestions as to what should
    > I use for my case.

    The easiest thing to do is to make a clone now of
    your WinXP partition on a spare hard drive (they've
    gotten cheap). A clone is a bootable image, the
    exact copy of the OS partition's contents including
    its boot sector. If your main HD fails, you can pop
    in the spare HD and boot it up. You don't even need
    Ghost for to make the clone. Casper XP will clone
    nicely, and you can use the free trial version from the
    webpage at www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ .

    Just remember to NOT have the "parent" OS visible
    to the clone when you boot up the clone for the first
    time or the clone will forever be dependent on the
    presence of the "parent" OS. Otherwise, both HDs
    can be connected and visible to each other, and the
    running OS will just view the other partition as a
    file structure with files accessible to it.

    *TimDaniels*

    From: "batham" <batham@gmail.com>

    | well I want to know which software is best to take a DISK image and
    | restore it on any hard disk. Is there even a software like this which
    | exists ?

    Yes... Norton Ghost 9.0 or 2003 and Acronis TruImage.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    From: "David Candy" <.>

    | And I snap their CDs in half.
    |
    | --
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html

    Watch out -- polycarbonates snap with sharp shards !

    From: "batham" <batham@gmail.com>

    | so is Acronis True Image better than Ghost, I just want the process to
    | be smooth and not waste time in installing all the operating system and
    | extra software again.
    |
    | Do they have a demo version, like try before you buy ?

    I haven't used Acronis. But, I have heard *good* things about it.

    --

    > If you were to take a formal poll of those perusing this newsgroup; I
    > would bet that 95% would recommend Norton Ghost 9. It is very
    > configurable, and is superior to the Arconis product, which is just not as
    > robust, although it is a good piece of software also.

    Nonsense. I tried Ghost 9 and it completely corrupted my system on the
    restore (fortunately Amazon gave me a refund). Acronis works beautifully,
    particularly for cloning (a requirement mentioned). However, I note that
    some have had problems with Acronis.

    Simple. Try before you buy.

    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> If you were to take a formal poll of those perusing this newsgroup; I
    >> would bet that 95% would recommend Norton Ghost 9. It is very
    >> configurable, and is superior to the Arconis product, which is just not
    >> as robust, although it is a good piece of software also.
    >
    > Nonsense. I tried Ghost 9 and it completely corrupted my system on the
    > restore (fortunately Amazon gave me a refund). Acronis works beautifully,
    > particularly for cloning (a requirement mentioned). However, I note that
    > some have had problems with Acronis.
    >
    > Simple. Try before you buy.

    You'll notice I stated 95%. You obviously fall into the other 5%. That
    does not make it a bad product. For whatever reason(s), your computer had
    an issue with it. That does not mean that the
    vast majority of users still find it a valuable tool.

    Bobby

    "Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> If you were to take a formal poll of those perusing this newsgroup; I
    >> would bet that 95% would recommend Norton Ghost 9. It is very
    >> configurable, and is superior to the Arconis product, which is just not
    >> as robust, although it is a good piece of software also.
    >
    > Nonsense. I tried Ghost 9 and it completely corrupted my system on the
    > restore (fortunately Amazon gave me a refund). Acronis works beautifully,
    > particularly for cloning (a requirement mentioned). However, I note that
    > some have had problems with Acronis.
    >
    > Simple. Try before you buy.

    PS

    Drive Image 2002 is without a question the most robust image backup program
    ever released. Too bad it was ruined by Norton.

    "Alpha" wrote:
    > Drive Image 2002 is without a question the most
    > robust image backup program ever released.
    > Too bad it was ruined by Norton.

    Actually, PowerQuest ruined it when they came out
    with Drive Image 7.0 - which Symantec subsequently
    took over when they bought out PowerQuest - and
    which was then renamed Norton Ghost 9.0 .

    *TimDaniels*

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    > If you were to take a formal poll of those perusing this
    > newsgroup; I would bet that 95% would recommend
    > Norton Ghost 9. It is very configurable, and is superior
    > to the Acronis product, which is just not as robust,
    > although it is a good piece of software also.
    >
    > Ghost can be used to create an exact clone of a drive,
    > which is what I think you are asking.

    One difference between Ghost 9.0 and True Image 8.0
    is that Ghost can take a single partition from among
    several on the source HD, and clone it among several on
    the destination HD. True Image is not as selective -
    it takes the entire contents of the source HD and makes
    its clone the entire contents of the destination drive.
    That's the same thing if all you're doing is moving to a
    larger drive. But if you are putting several (or many) clones
    of your OS partition onto a 2nd HD for backup, you can't
    do it with True Image. (Note that a "clone" is a BOOTABLE
    image of an OS's partition - boot sector, loader and all - not
    just a file that contains an image of the OS.)

    While both Ghost and True Image can do lots of other things,
    like incremental backups, scheduled backups, backups to
    optical media, etc., if all you want to do is make a clone of
    a single partition and put it among other partitions on a
    2nd HD, use Casper XP. It does that very well, and it can
    be downloaded for a 30-day free trial from:
    www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ . I use Casper XP
    to put multiple copies of my current WinXP Pro OS onto
    a backup HD that I keep on a removeable tray, all I have to
    do if the main HD fails is to slide in the backup HD and
    restart and select which partition (i.e. which archived OS)
    that I want to use from the boot menu that ntldr takes from
    the boot.ini file.

    *TimDaniels*

    Correct.

    "batham" <batham@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I need some info on Norton Ghost 9.0
    >
    > Basically what I want is this or will do this.......
    >
    > I have a 40 GB hard disk where I have installed Windows XP with SP2 and
    > all the updates and will put all the necessary software like office
    > 2003, Norton antivirus and bla bla bla I might need.
    >
    > Can I take an image of this hard disk and save it on a DVD or something
    > and then can I restore the entire DVD on the same hard disk or any
    > other hard disk (this is important to restore the image to another hard
    > disk).
    >
    > Do you guys have any suggestions as to what should I use for my case.
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > shailendra

    I use Ghost 2003 and boot and run it from a floppy. It will create images
    to cd or dvd or another hard drive. I used to do that religiously but have
    now started to just do a disk to disk copy. I use removeable hard drives
    and I can stick a blank drive in as a slave and make a clone of my 60gb boot
    disk (around 17gb used) in around 15 minutes. Much quicker than imaging.

    Guys,

    Thanks for your reply. My questions are still not answered.

    What I want.

    I have a single computer 3.2 Ghz, 1 GB ram.
    I have 4 hard disk with 2 partitions.

    Is it possible for me to load XP with SP2 and all the updates and all
    the software, then take a image for the whole hard disk onto a DVD or
    some media and dump all of it to the other hard disk..... of course I
    will switch the main hard disk and put the other hard disks ;)

    In the end will I have the exact replica of the operating system on all
    the hard disk, without installing it again on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hard
    disk.

    I want to know if someone did this, I am least interested in taking
    backups, I just want a initial backup or image of my hard disk.

    Thanks,
    Shailendra Batham

    Thanks for the reply dave

    can you tell me the process for it.

    like I just insert my blank Hard disk and maybe boot with my image DVD
    and that image will be copied to the hard disk.......... is this how it
    happens, whats the process ?

    - shailendra

    "batham" wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply. My questions are still not answered.
    >
    > What I want.
    >
    > I have a single computer 3.2 Ghz, 1 GB ram.
    > I have 4 hard disk with 2 partitions.
    >
    > Is it possible for me to load XP with SP2 and all the updates and all
    > the software, then take a image for the whole hard disk onto a DVD or
    > some media and dump all of it to the other hard disk..... of course I
    > will switch the main hard disk and put the other hard disks ;)
    >
    > In the end will I have the exact replica of the operating system on all
    > the hard disk, without installing it again on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hard
    > disk.
    >
    > I want to know if someone did this, I am least interested in taking
    > backups, I just want a initial backup or image of my hard disk.

    You can use the free downloadable version of Casper XP,
    available at: www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ .
    Just use the copy disk function. Since you have 2 partitions
    on the drive, you have to specify which partition to copy,
    and then you specify where to put it on the 2nd drive -
    in an already existing partition or in unallocated space on
    that drive. The image made is directly bootable - called a
    "clone". You can do this for all the other 3 drives.

    Just remember that when you boot up a clone for ist 1st
    time, have the "parent" OS invisible to it - most easily done
    by unplugging or removing the "parent" drive. Thereafter,
    the "parent" can be seen by the clone when the clone boots,
    and the "parent" will be seen as just another "Local Disk"
    by the Disk Management utility and you can drag 'n drop
    files between the 2 drives.

    If you know how to adjust the C:\boot.ini file, you can
    multiboot any of the clones from the "parent" drive when
    you start the system up. This is called "multi-booting",
    and it could be the subject of another dozen threads.

    Post again if you have further questins.

    *TimDaniels*

    can i put the clone / image on a DVD instead of the partition

    I just want one copy of my image and then put it on all the other hard
    disk

    Can this casper do it ?

    "batham" asked:
    > can i put the clone / image on a DVD instead of the partition
    >
    > I just want one copy of my image and then put it on all the
    > other hard disk
    >
    > Can this casper do it ?

    No, Casper XP writes only to a hard disk drive.
    Anything put on something other than a hard disk drive
    would have to be "restored" to its original HD sector
    format before it could be booted. What Casper XP
    puts on another HD is an exact copy of the original that
    can be directly booted just like the original. What is put
    on a DVD or CD or external USB drive is a FILE that
    contains the information to rebuild a copy of the original
    HD's contents.

    But Casper XP can do what you want faster than putting
    an image on a DVD and then restoring that image to
    your other HDs. Casper XP (and Ghost and a few
    other utilities) will put the clone directly onto each of
    your other HDs, and any of those other HDs could later
    be booted up if the original HD fails.

    It helps to remember that an "image" is a file, and a "clone"
    is a byte-for-byte, sector-by-sector copy of the original HD -
    either the entire original HD or just a partition from the original.

    *TimDaniels*

    From: "batham" <batham@gmail.com>

    | Guys,
    |
    | Thanks for your reply. My questions are still not answered.
    |
    | What I want.
    |
    | I have a single computer 3.2 Ghz, 1 GB ram.
    | I have 4 hard disk with 2 partitions.
    |
    | Is it possible for me to load XP with SP2 and all the updates and all
    | the software, then take a image for the whole hard disk onto a DVD or
    | some media and dump all of it to the other hard disk..... of course I
    | will switch the main hard disk and put the other hard disks ;)
    |
    | In the end will I have the exact replica of the operating system on all
    | the hard disk, without installing it again on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hard
    | disk.
    |
    | I want to know if someone did this, I am least interested in taking
    | backups, I just want a initial backup or image of my hard disk.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Shailendra Batham

    Yes. Ghost will do that.
    You can image a multi-partitioned hard disk to a Ghost image file. You can then restore the
    Ghost image to another hard disk.

    From: "batham" <batham@gmail.com>

    | Thanks for the reply dave
    |
    | can you tell me the process for it.
    |
    | like I just insert my blank Hard disk and maybe boot with my image DVD
    | and that image will be copied to the hard disk.......... is this how it
    | happens, whats the process ?
    |
    | - shailendra

    You would boot off a Ghost Boot Disk. Select the hard disk you want to image and then the
    destination media and then proceed with the image creation.

    To restore...
    You would boot off a Ghost Boot Disk. Insert the replacement hard disk and then restore
    from the image made on the selected media.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Norton Hard Drives Windows XP