Help with Display, Latitude CPi-a

I bought a full-install (versus upgrade) of Win98se for this computer. It
has the NeoMagic 256AV display adapter. I've already downloaded and
installed the recommended driver from the Dell support area. Under Windows
95, the desktop display went to the edge of the bezel, but now there's a
black border about an inch wide all the way around. If I go to Control
Panel, then Display>properties>settings>advanced>neomagic, I can get the
desktop to expand to the the full screen size after I hit apply; but the
font edges are blocky and (this is really annoying) it won't hold that
setting from one startup to the next. Any ideas?

You're using too low a resolution. If you're set at 800x600, switch to
1024x768. If 640x480, switch to 800x600

Tom
"halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptd.net> wrote in message
>I bought a full-install (versus upgrade) of Win98se for this computer. It
>has the NeoMagic 256AV display adapter. I've already downloaded and
>installed the recommended driver from the Dell support area. Under Windows
>95, the desktop display went to the edge of the bezel, but now there's a
>black border about an inch wide all the way around. If I go to Control
>Panel, then Display>properties>settings>advanced>neomagic, I can get the
>desktop to expand to the the full screen size after I hit apply; but the
>font edges are blocky and (this is really annoying) it won't hold that
>setting from one startup to the next. Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom, you're always a reliable resource, but...
Yes, I know that I need 1024. Unfortunately, when I go to "display
properties">settings, the top of the range available in the Screen Area
slider is only 800x600. As mentioned earlier, in advanced>neomagic the
Internal Display box gives me a choice of "LCD" or "Expansion" (that's
1024x768). If I choose Expansion and click Apply, it fills the screen, but
it goes back to 800x600 the next time I reboot.

> You're using too low a resolution. If you're set at 800x600, switch to
> 1024x768. If 640x480, switch to 800x600
>
> Tom
> "halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptd.net> wrote in message
>>I bought a full-install (versus upgrade) of Win98se for this computer. It
>>has the NeoMagic 256AV display adapter. I've already downloaded and
>>installed the recommended driver from the Dell support area. Under
>>Windows 95, the desktop display went to the edge of the bezel, but now
>>there's a black border about an inch wide all the way around. If I go to
>>Control Panel, then Display>properties>settings>advanced>neomagic, I can
>>get the desktop to expand to the the full screen size after I hit apply;
>>but the font edges are blocky and (this is really annoying) it won't hold
>>that setting from one startup to the next. Any ideas?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Youve got the wrong driver, the neomagic driver is a combined audio and
graphics driver
> Thanks, Tom, you're always a reliable resource, but...
> Yes, I know that I need 1024. Unfortunately, when I go to "display
> properties">settings, the top of the range available in the Screen Area
> slider is only 800x600. As mentioned earlier, in advanced>neomagic the
> Internal Display box gives me a choice of "LCD" or "Expansion" (that's
> 1024x768). If I choose Expansion and click Apply, it fills the screen,
> but it goes back to 800x600 the next time I reboot.

>> You're using too low a resolution. If you're set at 800x600, switch to
>> 1024x768. If 640x480, switch to 800x600
>>
>> Tom
>> "halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptd.net> wrote in message
>>>I bought a full-install (versus upgrade) of Win98se for this computer.
>>>It has the NeoMagic 256AV display adapter. I've already downloaded and
>>>installed the recommended driver from the Dell support area. Under
>>>Windows 95, the desktop display went to the edge of the bezel, but now
>>>there's a black border about an inch wide all the way around. If I go
>>>to Control Panel, then Display>properties>settings>advanced>neomagic, I
>>>can get the desktop to expand to the the full screen size after I hit
>>>apply; but the font edges are blocky and (this is really annoying) it
>>>won't hold that setting from one startup to the next. Any ideas?

Thanks to Tom Scales and Steve "The Fixer"-
Bad news and good news.
It seems that there is not a 1024x768 option within this driver
(4.11.01.5207), which was the last version before NeoMagic went out of the
notebook adapter (video/audio) business permanently. However, to anyone
who has the same problem, THERE IS A FIX of sorts.
When you get to the NeoMagic tab described earlier and choose "Expansion",
if you hit Fn + F7 simultaneously, it will save that setting and you won't
have to adjust the properties/settings after each reboot. It's not elegant,
and it doesn't make the best use of the pixels available, but it works.

There's got to be a driver that runs it native. Try www.driverguide.com

> Thanks to Tom Scales and Steve "The Fixer"-
> Bad news and good news.
> It seems that there is not a 1024x768 option within this driver
> (4.11.01.5207), which was the last version before NeoMagic went out of the
> notebook adapter (video/audio) business permanently. However, to anyone
> who has the same problem, THERE IS A FIX of sorts.
> When you get to the NeoMagic tab described earlier and choose "Expansion",
> if you hit Fn + F7 simultaneously, it will save that setting and you won't
> have to adjust the properties/settings after each reboot. It's not
> elegant, and it doesn't make the best use of the pixels available, but it
> works.
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Youve got the wrong driver, the neomagic driver is a combined audio and
>> graphics driver
>> "halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptd.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Tom, you're always a reliable resource, but...
>>> Yes, I know that I need 1024. Unfortunately, when I go to "display
>>> properties">settings, the top of the range available in the Screen Area
>>> slider is only 800x600. As mentioned earlier, in advanced>neomagic the
>>> Internal Display box gives me a choice of "LCD" or "Expansion" (that's
>>> 1024x768). If I choose Expansion and click Apply, it fills the screen,
>>> but it goes back to 800x600 the next time I reboot.
>>>
>>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> > "halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptd.net> wrote:
> > > Yes, I know that I need 1024. Unfortunately, when I go to
> > > "display properties">settings, the top of the range available
> > > in the Screen Area slider is only 800x600.

> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Youve got the wrong driver, the neomagic driver is a combined
> > audio and graphics driver

"halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptd.net> wrote:
> It seems that there is not a 1024x768 option within this driver
> (4.11.01.5207), which was the last version before NeoMagic went
> out of the notebook adapter (video/audio) business permanently.
> However, to anyone who has the same problem, THERE IS A FIX
> of sorts. When you get to the NeoMagic tab described earlier and
> choose "Expansion", if you hit Fn + F7 simultaneously, it will save
> that setting and you won't have to adjust the properties/settings after
> each reboot. It's not elegant, and it doesn't make the best use of the
> pixels available, but it works.

Where did you get that driver? I agree with Fixer that you're probably
using the wrong driver. The driver is available on the Dell site as
NEOW9806.EXE, "NeoMagic NM2200, A06".

A06 is driver version 4.12.01.5215, and I use that on my old CPiA with
Win98se, set to 1024x768. (FTR, "Expansion" is an unselectable, grayed-out
option under my NeoMagic tab.)

BTW, once you get Win98 working on that CPiA with the proper audio drivers,
you'll find it doesn't provide midi support. Contact me offline if you want
details how to fix that.