IE6 browser and ZoneAlarm settings.

August 19, 2005 7:29:02 PM

A couple of pages on my web site have short embedded wav files which autoplay
once when the pages open.

When I preview these pages in the browser - invoked from the web editor -
the wav files play. However, when viewing them from the internet they don't.

The only difference as far as I can see is that in the latter case ZoneAlarm
might be intervening. But in ZoneAlarm's Site List tab of the Privacy
section I have every box against my site's address ticked.

So perhaps it isn't ZoneAlarm?

Can anyone suggest what I might try so that these wav files do play when I
go to my site normally?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:36:33 PM

Which browser ? IE has an advanced option to allow or
block Video and Sounds in Web pages. Some other tools
like Ad-Subtract can filter Background music used on sites.

I would suggest that no matter which browser you're using
you get a 2nd vendor product to test your site against. I
would probably suggest Opera 8.01 or FireFox.

"dmb06851" <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple of pages on my web site have short embedded wav files which
>autoplay
> once when the pages open.
>
> When I preview these pages in the browser - invoked from the web editor -
> the wav files play. However, when viewing them from the internet they
> don't.
>
> The only difference as far as I can see is that in the latter case
> ZoneAlarm
> might be intervening. But in ZoneAlarm's Site List tab of the Privacy
> section I have every box against my site's address ticked.
>
> So perhaps it isn't ZoneAlarm?
>
> Can anyone suggest what I might try so that these wav files do play when I
> go to my site normally?

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:36:34 PM

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Which browser ?

IE6.

> IE has an advanced option to allow or
> block Video and Sounds in Web pages.

Where do I find those options (I have had no reason to fiddle with them
anyway) ?

> Some other tools
> like Ad-Subtract can filter Background music used on sites.

Background music and other sound effects on other sites play ok.
And what is Ad-Subtract please?

> I would suggest that no matter which browser you're using
> you get a 2nd vendor product to test your site against. I
> would probably suggest Opera 8.01 or FireFox.
>
> "dmb06851" <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A couple of pages on my web site have short embedded wav files which
> >autoplay
> > once when the pages open.
> >
> > When I preview these pages in the browser - invoked from the web editor -
> > the wav files play. However, when viewing them from the internet they
> > don't.
> >
> > The only difference as far as I can see is that in the latter case
> > ZoneAlarm
> > might be intervening. But in ZoneAlarm's Site List tab of the Privacy
> > section I have every box against my site's address ticked.
> >
> > So perhaps it isn't ZoneAlarm?
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what I might try so that these wav files do play when I
> > go to my site normally?

August 19, 2005 11:01:42 PM

IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced (TAB) Scroll down the
listing to the Multimedia heading.

AdSubtract is a content filtering program. Several years old but
it takes out Advertisements and other unwanted items from web
sites.

> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Which browser ?
>
> IE6.
>

>> IE has an advanced option to allow or
>> block Video and Sounds in Web pages.
>
> Where do I find those options (I have had no reason to fiddle with them
> anyway) ?
>

>> Some other tools
>> like Ad-Subtract can filter Background music used on sites.
>
> Background music and other sound effects on other sites play ok.
> And what is Ad-Subtract please?
>

>> I would suggest that no matter which browser you're using
>> you get a 2nd vendor product to test your site against. I
>> would probably suggest Opera 8.01 or FireFox.
>>
>> "dmb06851" <dmb06851@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A couple of pages on my web site have short embedded wav files which
>> >autoplay
>> > once when the pages open.
>> >
>> > When I preview these pages in the browser - invoked from the web
>> > editor -
>> > the wav files play. However, when viewing them from the internet they
>> > don't.
>> >
>> > The only difference as far as I can see is that in the latter case
>> > ZoneAlarm
>> > might be intervening. But in ZoneAlarm's Site List tab of the Privacy
>> > section I have every box against my site's address ticked.
>> >
>> > So perhaps it isn't ZoneAlarm?
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest what I might try so that these wav files do play
>> > when I
>> > go to my site normally?

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:01:43 PM

In the Advanced settings, under Multimedia, everything except "Show image
download placeholders" is ticked.

I looked at the site with Firefox. Firefox keeps telling me that
"Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page." and
invites me to "Install Missing Plugins."

It claims that the "missing plugins" is Apple QuickTime.

Quicktime IS installed.

So much for Firefox.

I used to be able to view my site properly, i.e. including sounds, in IE
some time ago so what else might it be?

!