Compaq LTE 5250 (wireless card problem)

I am not a pc guru, I have a compaq LTE 5250 that was given to me a couple
of years ago. In the last 2 years I have managed to get a cdrom, hard
drive, and floppy drive from ebay(that's why it was given to me)I upgraded
this from windows 98 to XP..actually the hard drive I am using now is out
of a IBM thinkpad that I toasted. The problem I have now is that when I
try to use a wireless network card, the laptop does not recognize the
card(s) in any way...no beeping in or out/no new harware found by the XP
OS. I have tried a link sys card and data link brand cards and software.
Has anyone encountered this problem?

Have you checked the BIOS to see if there is an option to turn PCMCIA
on/off?
Have you checked Windows XP for any hardware clashes/problems?
Is this a very old machine that only supports old 16-bit PCMCIA and not
newer 32-bit cardbus cards?

Hope some of this helps,
Paul DS.