Built-in Microphone for D500 and 700m.. Do they exist?

Been trying to configure Skype on my wife's (D500) and cousin's (700m)
Dells. For the life of me I couldn't get the audio in to work. While I
had no problem configuring my C400 for Skype. I am starting to wonder
if the newer Dell laptops have omitted a built-in microphone. Is this
another cost cutting measure?

Can someone confirm this? Looking at the spec sheet, it sure looks that
way.

Thanks.

Hello Artoi,

We use Latitude D800s here and those got microphones built-in, however, one
guy here just bought a new
Inspiron 9200 and it doesn't have a microphone. Seems to be rather random
which models are equipped with mics.

/Per

> Been trying to configure Skype on my wife's (D500) and cousin's (700m)
> Dells. For the life of me I couldn't get the audio in to work. While I
> had no problem configuring my C400 for Skype. I am starting to wonder
> if the newer Dell laptops have omitted a built-in microphone. Is this
> another cost cutting measure?
>
> Can someone confirm this? Looking at the spec sheet, it sure looks
> that way.

LOL. You should be able to realise that your modells do not have any mic's
inbuilt.
If you want to test t yourself and to be sure, do the following:
Push Windowskey and R at the same time. In the RUNbox type in 'conf.exe'
this will start Netmeeting. In this customize procedure an audio assistant
will tell you wheter you microphone works or not- he wont find any mic!

greets

BTW- for further infos you might want to look inside your Help file. If this
is the preinstalled Windows then inside the Help& Supportcenter will be a
technical details concerning the Laptop.

good luck

In article <420be6cb$1@news.uni-rostock.de>, Steven Kraus
<skraus@gmx.net> wrote:

> BTW- for further infos you might want to look inside your Help file. If this
> is the preinstalled Windows then inside the Help& Supportcenter will be a
> technical details concerning the Laptop.

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately I did not have too much time with
those machines. Neither of them are mine. And it never occurred to me
that those Dells weren't equipped with a mic until I got back to my
office...