Double-Click to OPen Item (Does Not Work)?

August 19, 2005 8:01:03 PM

I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to open
an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and reinstalled
my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to open
an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open an
item when I double click?
Thank you for your help in advance.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:04:01 PM

Try uninstalling the mouse in Device Manager (Start...Control
Panel...System...Hardware Tab...Device Manager button)

Then reboot your system and let Windows re-detect the mouse.

"TonynMI" wrote:

> I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
> reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to open
> an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
> I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and reinstalled
> my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to open
> an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
> What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open an
> item when I double click?
> Thank you for your help in advance.
August 20, 2005 2:10:59 AM

Hi,

You are needing to change it back to Explore via File Types/Folders as
Default.

Or run Explore on line 215 (right hand side):

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"TonynMI" <TonynMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
> reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to
> open
> an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
> I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and
> reinstalled
> my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to
> open
> an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
> What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open
> an
> item when I double click?
> Thank you for your help in advance.
August 20, 2005 9:33:10 AM

Thank you both for responding. I tried everything for the past month and last
night finally figured it out. I had to reduce the double-click speed in
Mouse Properties. I had it set on FAST and thus it would not recognize the
double-click. Nothing is simple with Windows. It seems to be a hit-n-miss.
Thanks again!

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You are needing to change it back to Explore via File Types/Folders as
> Default.
>
> Or run Explore on line 215 (right hand side):

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "TonynMI" <TonynMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
> > reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to
> > open
> > an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
> > I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and
> > reinstalled
> > my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to
> > open
> > an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
> > What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open
> > an
> > item when I double click?
> > Thank you for your help in advance.

August 21, 2005 7:40:30 PM

Now that is fast! :o ) Glad you have it sorted.

--

!