Double-Click to OPen Item (Does Not Work)?

I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to open
an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and reinstalled
my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to open
an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open an
item when I double click?
Thank you for your help in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about double click open item does work

    Try uninstalling the mouse in Device Manager (Start...Control
    Panel...System...Hardware Tab...Device Manager button)

    Then reboot your system and let Windows re-detect the mouse.

    "TonynMI" wrote:

    > I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
    > reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to open
    > an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
    > I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and reinstalled
    > my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to open
    > an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
    > What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open an
    > item when I double click?
    > Thank you for your help in advance.

    Hi,

    You are needing to change it back to Explore via File Types/Folders as
    Default.

    Or run Explore on line 215 (right hand side):

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "TonynMI" <TonynMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
    > reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to
    > open
    > an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
    > I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and
    > reinstalled
    > my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to
    > open
    > an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
    > What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open
    > an
    > item when I double click?
    > Thank you for your help in advance.

    Thank you both for responding. I tried everything for the past month and last
    night finally figured it out. I had to reduce the double-click speed in
    Mouse Properties. I had it set on FAST and thus it would not recognize the
    double-click. Nothing is simple with Windows. It seems to be a hit-n-miss.
    Thanks again!

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You are needing to change it back to Explore via File Types/Folders as
    > Default.
    >
    > Or run Explore on line 215 (right hand side):

    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "TonynMI" <TonynMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
    > > reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to
    > > open
    > > an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
    > > I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and
    > > reinstalled
    > > my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option to
    > > open
    > > an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
    > > What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to open
    > > an
    > > item when I double click?
    > > Thank you for your help in advance.

    Now that is fast! :o) Glad you have it sorted.

    --

    > Thank you both for responding. I tried everything for the past month and
    > last
    > night finally figured it out. I had to reduce the double-click speed in
    > Mouse Properties. I had it set on FAST and thus it would not recognize the
    > double-click. Nothing is simple with Windows. It seems to be a hit-n-miss.
    > Thanks again!
    >

    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You are needing to change it back to Explore via File Types/Folders as
    >> Default.
    >>
    >> Or run Explore on line 215 (right hand side):
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "TonynMI" <TonynMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I installed a new Microsoft Mouse with supplied software. That for some
    >> > reason change my "double click to open item" and when I double click to
    >> > open
    >> > an item it high-lites the name as if I were renaming the item.
    >> > I finally uninstalled the software that came with the mouse and
    >> > reinstalled
    >> > my other mouse and software. Now I cannot use the double click option
    >> > open
    >> > an item. I have reset the double click option to no avail.
    >> > What can I do to return WindowsXP Home (all updates are applied) to
    >> > open
    >> > an
    >> > item when I double click?
    >> > Thank you for your help in advance.