Anyone here use a Transcend 256mb Jetflash USB 2 drive?

Paul

Splendid

Hey all, I know this isnt an XP question.

BUT, I've got this USB 2 drive, and I'm just wondering
if anyone here has the same model

Transcend TS256MJF2B 256mb.

If anyone else has one of these, can you boot
from it, if you're using another computer (besides
the computer you formatted this on / the computer u used to make it
bootable?)

Because atm, (I made it bootable thru XP - making an MS-DOS disk). It works
fine when u plug it into a USB
2 port on here. When u change the bootdisk in the BIOS.

It boots into DOS. BUT on the other PC, it has
an option of USB hdd (the manual states XP doesnt support this as a USB hdd,
thats OK).

And USB zip ( U-Storage on the transcend cd lets u use the USB drive as a
USB zip tho). When u go to create the bootable disk/USB drive.

When I plug this USB drive into the other PC's USB 2 port, it doesnt matter
whether I select USB hdd or zip in the BIOS, it wont boot into DOS!

The LED on this USB drive lights up, BUT after the devices show up after
the POST screen (where it shows u the hdds/cd's/dvd's/ram etc it stops! And
so does the screen!

I know all USB 2 ports on the other PC work.

Once you're in XP. So its not the USB ports.

This drive gets detected by XP no matter which port
I plug it into, once XP has loaded.

So, if u do have this drive, once its formatted on 1 computer / and you've
created a bootdisk so it boots from that computer, can you only boot from
that computer? (This is if u have more than 1 computer
where you are).

I've sent an email to Transcend, I may get a reply by Xmas! I wont hold my
breath.

Any info appreciated

Thanx

The computer BIOS has to specifically support booting to a USB Flash Drive.
There are some tricks out there to get it to fool the BIOS into thinking that
it's actually a USB hard drive - but none have worked for me.

BTW - this is true of any USB drive, not just your model.

"Paul" wrote:

> Hey all, I know this isnt an XP question.
>
> BUT, I've got this USB 2 drive, and I'm just wondering
> if anyone here has the same model
>
> Transcend TS256MJF2B 256mb.
>
> If anyone else has one of these, can you boot
> from it, if you're using another computer (besides
> the computer you formatted this on / the computer u used to make it
> bootable?)
>
> Because atm, (I made it bootable thru XP - making an MS-DOS disk). It works
> fine when u plug it into a USB
> 2 port on here. When u change the bootdisk in the BIOS.
>
> It boots into DOS. BUT on the other PC, it has
> an option of USB hdd (the manual states XP doesnt support this as a USB hdd,
> thats OK).
>
> And USB zip ( U-Storage on the transcend cd lets u use the USB drive as a
> USB zip tho). When u go to create the bootable disk/USB drive.
>
> When I plug this USB drive into the other PC's USB 2 port, it doesnt matter
> whether I select USB hdd or zip in the BIOS, it wont boot into DOS!
>
> The LED on this USB drive lights up, BUT after the devices show up after
> the POST screen (where it shows u the hdds/cd's/dvd's/ram etc it stops! And
> so does the screen!
>
> I know all USB 2 ports on the other PC work.
>
> Once you're in XP. So its not the USB ports.
>
> This drive gets detected by XP no matter which port
> I plug it into, once XP has loaded.
>
> So, if u do have this drive, once its formatted on 1 computer / and you've
> created a bootdisk so it boots from that computer, can you only boot from
> that computer? (This is if u have more than 1 computer
> where you are).
>
> I've sent an email to Transcend, I may get a reply by Xmas! I wont hold my
> breath.
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

Paul

Splendid

Hmm ok ta Usama. There is a BIOS update
I COULD try, BUT for some reason, when I
try to flash it, it says its not an ASUS BIOS!?

Even tho its off the ASUS site.

Stupid huh lol.