Pozinet

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I recently purchased a AMD 3000+ and installed it myself onto my ecs k7s5a motherboard. It booted fine and things were running fine for a while but now it's constantly freezing. I've also noticed that my case has smoke coming out of the holes in the back. I have no case fans in this case and I had a hard time installing the cpu to this motherboard so I had to disassemble the cpu cooler and the fan was completely taken off. Could this cause over heating?? I tried a burn in test to fix it, but it seemed to make things worse. Is it normal to have sparks come off of the cpu every time the computer starts up? I am very new to this overclocking ordeal. Thank you very much for your time. I hope I haven't mangled my pc too bad.

Pozinet

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Ya i did take the hsf (im guessing you mean heat sink fan??) off because it wasnt quite fitting right. currently its lopsided but it hasnt frozen in a while so thats good news. The case fans are much too loud for this small room, so i havent purchased any. I thought a heatsink would be enough for my cpu?? It seems to be alright, my fan program says its running at an average of 80degrees. I heard thats about normal for a cpu. The smoke is pretty bad tho, is it just dust caused by having no fans??

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
This Must be a joke. And if its not, You fried you're CPU idiot. Dells are made for people like you.

If its not broken, you're not trying hard enough.

Ryan_Plus_One

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
I doubt a bare 3000+ would survive long enough for you to write those posts.

<font color=red>Proudly supporting the AMD/Nvidia minority</font color=red>

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I loooooooooove it! And while you are at it, how about remowing the cooler from the PSU and the videocard? So that you can get a true fanless computer. Belive me, that would be so HOT!

Anyway, just in case there would be any kind of truth in your post, QUICKLY: atleast take the lid of the case and if possible put the heatsink/fan back on the CPU or it will fry, sooner or later. by the way, you wouldn't havea picture of the rig, preferably with the lid of, showing the fanless CPU running happely and sparkly?

Hehehe!

Turk

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
when you say 80, do you mean celcius? Most people try to have their comps around 30, that being ideal. Around 50 degrees celcius people start to become "edgy". After that, well, watch the video.

*shakes head in disbelief*

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Wow this is the funniest thread i have heard in awhile!!

If your are serious, than you must put that fan back on now. You must also buy atleast 1 case fan. I Would buy atleast 2. They don't have to be loud, you can buy quiet case fans(panaflows). If you are incapable of doing this, than please take it to a professional before you destroy it, or sell the whole thing and buy a nice quiet Dell!!

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.

Pozinet

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Well, it looks like my computer didnt survive the night. I shut it down last night, woke up, tried turning it on and nothing comes up on my monitor. I'm running off my brothers comp for now until I can figure out a way to replace mine. I didnt realize I could do so much damage... Oh well everyone learns one way or another :( I cant believe I was running that hot and still running for a while there! Those videos show how fast a cpu fries, I must have been lucky. Anyways, the new comp Ill buy some case fans and try and find a cpu cooler that fits

RivetHead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
I don't know if this was a joke or not, but I can kinda see it happening.
The ECS K7S5A won't support a socket A cpu that requires a 333 fsb, so the XP 3000+ in this system was being majorly underclocked. Kill temp for that CPU is 80-90c and since the K7S5A does not have anything like C.O.P., I could see a straight out burn than toast. I am surprised it lasted for multiple posts! Sparks??? Hmm... My FIC AZ31 board did that once and it never posted again :(

LOL

bertvandonk

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
It is a well known fact that all electronics run on smoke!
Because when the smoke gets out, they stop working.This could be your problem.Sparks should be OK.

avandonk

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
This isn't the days of Pentium and 486. CPU's these day MUST need cooling fans to operate. There are very few (crusoe, possibly Via C3) that doesn't need a cooling fan.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Reading his posts, I reckon He's simply removed the fan from the HSF, so it would still kinda work... for a short while.

Maybe he forgot to remove the tape (covering the Thermal Pad) from the bottom of the HSF too! that would account for the smoke (possibly).

Either that or his [fanless] HSF has melted a power cable, or a ribbon cable, or anything else plastic that it touched, and that's given him the smoke.

My investigative thoughts.... is all.

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Exactly,

To Poz: A HSF less Athlon would have lasted about 3 seconds (literally) being locking up your comp (you saw what happened on the video) and then beginning to smoke. After that, it wpuld never work again, your mobo would probably die too due to too much current, and the socket would have melted from too much current through the pins.

Without a fan (with a HS), it would have gotten to about 80C and then frozen and possibly died. Theres also the problem that that mobo probably doesnt support the voltage requirements of a barton or tbred B, I thought its max was a 2100+ Palomino. You May have been overvolting it from 1.6 to 1.75v, causing it to get v.hot.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>