Imaged to new HD...now problems....help!

I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.

Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
problems arose.

I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file thats
not on the CD and wont install.

Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.

I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
version on HD is newer.

When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.

I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with it? I
can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to have this
bigger drive.

Any thoughts really appreciated

Are you sure that your machine supports the size drive you purchased?

What machine?
What drive?

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
>boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
>Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>
> Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
> problems arose.
>
> I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
> setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file thats
> not on the CD and wont install.
>
> Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.
>
> I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
> I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
> version on HD is newer.
>
> When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.
>
> I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with it?
> I can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to have
> this bigger drive.
>
> Any thoughts really appreciated

Corrupted clone. I'd put the old HD back in and clone it to the new one
(after wiping the new HD) with Ghost. Remove old HD for a while.
The new drive should work properly.

Brian

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 01:50:43 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
>boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
>Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>
>Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
>problems arose.
>
>I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
>setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file thats
>not on the CD and wont install.
>
>Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.
>
>I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
>I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
>version on HD is newer.
>
>When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.
>
>I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with it? I
>can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to have this
>bigger drive.
>
>Any thoughts really appreciated
I had a similar problem about 4 months ago, but using Maxtor drives
and their utility. I have used their utilitiy for years with no
problem, but it could not copy my 160 to a new 250. Perhaps it was
because XP was installed.
I used Ghost (not the newest-I've heard its a bust) and copyied first
time with no problem, & fast too.

I would recommend you zero the drive before retrying to copy.
Again I found Maxtor utility painfully slow, especially for full
zeroing. (which is rarely needed anyway)
Use Gateway utility for zeroing, very fast, works on all HDD:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19707&uid=69753249

gwscan 7514539.exe ver 5.09

I tried it again. Made sure everything was by the book and starting with
freshly formatted HD. I did "copy drive for booting" and copy "Master Boot
Record". I tried the new drive as a master and as the only drive on IDE
cable........and same results. It gets to the Windows welcome and stops.

Also tried again using the Western Digital softare to create boot disk.
Again after fresh format. It would but, but not of the installed programs
would work. So I gave up and will live with small disk in PC.
I put the 120G ina USB external to use as a backup. It worked ok there.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
>boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
>Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>
> Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
> problems arose.
>
> I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
> setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file thats
> not on the CD and wont install.
>
> Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.
>
> I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
> I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
> version on HD is newer.
>
> When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.
>
> I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with it?
> I can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to have
> this bigger drive.
>
> Any thoughts really appreciated

You're not telling us anywhere near enough to help diagnose your
problem. Did you tell the copy utility to make the new partition
"active"? Is it "active"? Which hard drive is at the head of the
hard drive boot order in the BIOS? Does the new partition have
the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files? What are the contents
of the boot.ini files in both the old and the new partitions? Did you
start up the newly cloned OS for the 1st with the old OS visible to it?

If you wish to abandon your attempts to reach your goal, OK,
but don't think you gave it your best shot.

*TimDaniels*

"jtsnow" wrote:
>I tried it again. Made sure everything was by the book and starting with
> freshly formatted HD. I did "copy drive for booting" and copy "Master Boot
> Record". I tried the new drive as a master and as the only drive on IDE
> cable........and same results. It gets to the Windows welcome and stops.
>
> Also tried again using the Western Digital softare to create boot disk.
> Again after fresh format. It would but, but not of the installed programs
> would work. So I gave up and will live with small disk in PC.
> I put the 120G ina USB external to use as a backup. It worked ok there.
>

> "jtsnow" also srote:
>>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
>>boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
>>Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>>
>> Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
>> problems arose.
>>
>> I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
>> setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file thats
>> not on the CD and wont install.
>>
>> Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.
>>
>> I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
>> I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
>> version on HD is newer.
>>
>> When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.
>>
>> I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with it?
>> I can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to have
>> this bigger drive.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
>boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
>Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>
>Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
>problems arose.

Did you take the old hard drive out of the machine, or leave it in?
If you left it in, I bet it's still the C: drive, and your boot drive
is E: or something, and it's getting all confused...

When you say you made it the master, you mean that you jumpered it Cable
Select and put it on the end connector on the cable, right?

Dells use Cable Select.

Tom
"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> You're not telling us anywhere near enough to help diagnose your
> problem. Did you tell the copy utility to make the new partition
> "active"? Is it "active"? Which hard drive is at the head of the
> hard drive boot order in the BIOS? Does the new partition have
> the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files? What are the contents
> of the boot.ini files in both the old and the new partitions? Did you
> start up the newly cloned OS for the 1st with the old OS visible to it?
>
> If you wish to abandon your attempts to reach your goal, OK,
> but don't think you gave it your best shot.
>
> *TimDaniels*
>

> "jtsnow" wrote:
>>I tried it again. Made sure everything was by the book and starting with
>>freshly formatted HD. I did "copy drive for booting" and copy "Master
>>Boot Record". I tried the new drive as a master and as the only drive on
>>IDE cable........and same results. It gets to the Windows welcome and
>>stops.
>>
>> Also tried again using the Western Digital softare to create boot disk.
>> Again after fresh format. It would but, but not of the installed
>> programs would work. So I gave up and will live with small disk in PC.
>> I put the 120G ina USB external to use as a backup. It worked ok there.
>>

>> "jtsnow" also srote:
>>>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive
>>>the boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with
>>>Western Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>>>
>>> Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the
>>> apps problems arose.
>>>
>>> I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
>>> setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file
>>> thats not on the CD and wont install.
>>>
>>> Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.
>>>
>>> I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
>>> I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
>>> version on HD is newer.
>>>
>>> When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.
>>>
>>> I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with
>>> it? I can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to
>>> have this bigger drive.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:24:22 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I tried it again. Made sure everything was by the book and starting with
>freshly formatted HD. I did "copy drive for booting" and copy "Master Boot
>Record". I tried the new drive as a master and as the only drive on IDE
>cable........and same results. It gets to the Windows welcome and stops.
>
>Also tried again using the Western Digital softare to create boot disk.
>Again after fresh format. It would but, but not of the installed programs
>would work. So I gave up and will live with small disk in PC.
>I put the 120G ina USB external to use as a backup. It worked ok there.
>

>"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I copied my HD image over to a larger faster HD and made the new drive the
>>boot drive. The copy was made using the utility that comes with Western
>>Digital drive which creates a bootable image on the new drive.
>>
>> Everything boots up an looks good but as I started to use some of the apps
>> problems arose.
>>
>> I noticed Outlook was not working. I cant even get into email account
>> setting. I tried reinstalling Office XP but it asked me for a file thats
>> not on the CD and wont install.
>>
>> Norton Ghost asked me to register the software.
>>
>> I tried to update Windows XP but none of the updates will download.
>> I tried to reinstall windows from CD but it wont allow that because the
>> version on HD is newer.
>>
>> When I try to use Restore it crashes and sends a report to MS.
>>
>> I changed the name of the HD. You think that had anything to do with it?
>> I can put the old drive back in worse case, but sure would like to have
>> this bigger drive.
>>
>> Any thoughts really appreciated

Try formatting the drive, then install a clean copy of windows first.
Then install Ghost. Then restore your image you made from ghost.

I did this and it worked fine.