Getting Dell to add component

Hi,

I want to buy a Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Unfortunately
Dell only offer DVD+R/+RW. They do not offer the dual format (the -R/-RW).
I wonder why they don't because everywhere I read that dual format is what
it takes to have the most compatibility. Is it possible to buy the system
and have Dell add another component that is not listed such as a dual
format DVD? If it is possible, how can it be done?

Thanks,

Richard
3 answers Last reply
More about getting dell component

    Your best bet is to buy one later. Dell does sell a combo plextor drive,
    but for almost $200. Check under software and peripherals.

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to buy a Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Unfortunately
    > Dell only offer DVD+R/+RW. They do not offer the dual format
    (the -R/-RW).
    > I wonder why they don't because everywhere I read that dual format is what
    > it takes to have the most compatibility. Is it possible to buy the system
    > and have Dell add another component that is not listed such as a dual
    > format DVD? If it is possible, how can it be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

    Buy the system without a DVD writer and add your own - all you need is a
    standard drive with a black faceplate; the rails to mount it come with the
    system.

    Dell is a member of the DVD+R/W consortium - it doesn't support DVD-R/W.

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to buy a Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Unfortunately
    > Dell only offer DVD+R/+RW. They do not offer the dual format
    (the -R/-RW).
    > I wonder why they don't because everywhere I read that dual format is what
    > it takes to have the most compatibility. Is it possible to buy the system
    > and have Dell add another component that is not listed such as a dual
    > format DVD? If it is possible, how can it be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

    Thanks for the info.

    Richard

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message
    de news:nCYic.5951$iX1.278578@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to buy a Dimension 8300 with a DVD burner. Unfortunately
    > Dell only offer DVD+R/+RW. They do not offer the dual format
    (the -R/-RW).
    > I wonder why they don't because everywhere I read that dual format is what
    > it takes to have the most compatibility. Is it possible to buy the system
    > and have Dell add another component that is not listed such as a dual
    > format DVD? If it is possible, how can it be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

Dell Components Format Computers