External Monitor Issues

jayhawk1026

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I'm hoping this problem is a product of my own stupidity and not anything serious. I updated my display driver today (Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)), and afterwards when I plugged my tv into my computer via HDMI cable both screens remained blank and my tv said that no signal was found. My laptop screen remained blank even after removing the HDMI cable and become unresponsive (like it just went to sleep randomly). In order to get the screen to turn on again I had to turn my computer off and back on. I know there isn't a problem with my tv because literally just before I downloaded the display driver I was using it as an extended display.I made sure to download the 64 bit Windows 7 driver,and I know my HDMI cable was plugged into the correct input on the tv. I'm assuming the driver is the source of my problem, but I don't know how to go about fixing the problem. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Gateway NV79
Processor: Intel i5
DriectX 11
Display
Chip Type: Intel HD Graphics (Core i5)
1600x900 (60Hz) (32bit)

Solution
Try this, turn on your computer on without the TV hook-up, and change the display settings to default then shut it down. Now, connected the TV to any HDMI equipment you have except your computer, if you don’t have anything else. Turn the TV on and select between the inputs to reset the default video inputs and turn TV off. Turn computer on and when computer is fully started connect TV to computer. Turn TV on then go to Display Panel and change the settings.

Hope that’s all there is to it.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Try this, turn on your computer on without the TV hook-up, and change the display settings to default then shut it down. Now, connected the TV to any HDMI equipment you have except your computer, if you don’t have anything else. Turn the TV on and select between the inputs to reset the default video inputs and turn TV off. Turn computer on and when computer is fully started connect TV to computer. Turn TV on then go to Display Panel and change the settings.

Hope that’s all there is to it.

Solution

jayhawk1026

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Nevermind I got it figured out. The driver I downloaded didn't have external monitor capability. Doesn't really make sense. I had to end up going to gateway.com and downloading my driver from there as opposed to intel.com.