Sign in with
Your question

3.2GHZ is out, AMD raped badly

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2003 3:17:29 PM

In a most "usual" turn of events, once more Intel dominates the <i>charts</i>.

Let us face it, this PR rating is ridiculous, I don't know how they'll use it on their own website (AMD) to promote the better PR! They did so against a 3GHZ by using DDR i845 on the P4 and their own suite of optimized (cheated?) benchmarks.
If this will yeild a small trickling down of the current market Pentium 4s, this can spell good news. Though I doubt it.
We're no longer functioning in a competition market anymore. There is no incent to lower prices except for when OEMs request a new CPU due to low sales.

Still, I guess the most attention-grabbing part was the Prescott news.
For one:
-16K uOPS Trace Cache (HT will definitely benefit, though I don't know if 3 uOPS per clock is sufficient)
-16K L1 Data cache, finally twice up. This will really benefit IMO. Pentium 4 has little cache and pipelines, it functions at high speeds. More cache close to it is only gonna make things better.
-PNI
-1MB L2
-Yamhill possibility.
-0.09m as we knew it, though THG even posted figures of 5GHZ possible.
Still, there could be even more.
Not to mention Socket T (rumored to be a universal socket, no more changes).
Not to mention Socket 478 compatibility.
Now THAT I am more excited about than Athlon 64.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

More about : 2ghz amd raped badly

June 23, 2003 3:18:15 PM

Oh if only THG took a stab at the AMD fanboys when they mentioned the loyals, oh if only!

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
June 23, 2003 3:35:05 PM

Quote:
Oh if only THG took a stab at the AMD fanboys when they mentioned the loyals, oh if only!

Actually I found it quite funny that they even brought that up at all. I mean I've met plenty of system builders who will only work with Intel. Some have good reasons for that, and thos I respect. Most though can't even articulate anything sensible when you ask them why they <i>only</i> work with Intel. So I consider them to be just as much the fanboy as those from the AMD camp. As far as I've seen Intel has exactly the same kind of following that THG was mentioning AMD as having.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
Related resources
June 23, 2003 4:25:23 PM

And what the hell was that commment about PIII having HT?
Jesus Christ take about typos that are more than 3 roman digits apart.

--
June 23, 2003 4:43:57 PM

Now Intel definitely has secured the CPU market, until September at least.

I'm also more interested in Prescott than what am in Athlon 64. And no, it's not because of that I am now an Intel owner ;) 

My system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 800 FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / ASUS P4P800 / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW
June 23, 2003 5:05:03 PM

Quote:

And what the hell was that commment about PIII having HT?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I'm thinking I would have heard about that long before, if it was true. And, if it was, that would include Celerons too, right?

Dave

Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away.
June 23, 2003 7:54:57 PM

TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 that Corsair?
June 23, 2003 8:37:54 PM

No, TwinMOS is a brand of it's own as far as I know.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 800 FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / ASUS P4P800 / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
June 24, 2003 3:13:15 AM

Thanks I found the info on that brand name on another web site tonight. TwinMos
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2003 4:00:16 AM

Hehe, it was a stupid mistake, the P4 had HT, disabled. Even the Williamette. Which was probably what they wanted to refer to, but either the writer was misinformed or had a memory lapse. Which places the burden on another editor. Which means there was a lot of sloppy work going on, as usual.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 24, 2003 4:44:05 AM

Quote:
In a most "usual" turn of events, once more Intel dominates the charts.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com" target="_new">Anandtech's</A> review of the P4 3.2 is finally up. Unlike previous reviews where the Athlons are shown in a more favorable light than here at THG, this review jives completely with THG's and the Athlons are simply destroyed by the 800 MHz FSB HT P4s.

Ritesh
June 24, 2003 4:52:28 AM

Wait! AMD did win one round of AnandTech's testing--the "General Usage Performance" Winstone benchmark. The +3200 scored 39.6, whereas the 3.20Ghz P4 scored only 34.8.

So, where at this time can I buy the 3.20Ghz chip without paying over $700? Pricegrabber and the like fail me.

Quale
June 24, 2003 5:22:41 AM

You can buy a 2.4C and oc it to 3.2 easily.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
June 24, 2003 5:43:03 AM

but would that oc'd 2.4c @ 3.2 be able to hold up to a stock 3.2c all things considered?
June 24, 2003 8:50:54 AM

It'll probably perform better considering its FSB is much higher than the stock 3.2C. How much better would probably depend on the memory speed you're running along with that FSB speed and the application you're running.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
June 24, 2003 1:57:55 PM

The thing that I find the most fascinating so far is that not even an extremist Intel-hating AMD-zealot has had the guts to say something like "Over at _____ they have reviews where the AXP3200+ trashes that PoS P4 3.2GHz!"

It's just <i>that</i> obvious that Intel wins that not even the most die-hard of all of the AMD fanatics can argue against AMD's defeat this time.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
June 24, 2003 2:06:53 PM

Yep, Intel wins this round... I have an XP2100 at the moment, but would probably try and get a P4 if I had to buy a computer tommorrow. AMD are most definitely relegated to the value segment for the time being.

The moral of the story; don't be a fanboi! AMD was the right decision for me six months ago, and it may be the right decision again in the future. However, it wouldn't be the right decision today...
June 24, 2003 2:34:40 PM

I'm planning on getting the P4 2.4c in the next couple of weeks.

Although the Athlons are cheap as nuts, I feel that the P42.4c offers the best price/performance ratio at the moment. Not to mention it runs a lot cooler then equivalent Athlon and uses less power. Plus the 2.4c can be overclocked it to 3 Ghz easily which means savings of hundreds of £££'s.

If you read the reviews on THG the Xp3200 could barely keep up with the P4 2.4c let alone the P4 3.2.
June 25, 2003 8:20:55 PM

And one more reason for AMD_Meltdown to not troll around...

--
June 25, 2003 8:40:30 PM

**LOL**

Be careful! If you type his name three times in front of a monitor then he'll come out and troll you!

Or something like that.

I saw it in a movie so it must be true, right? :) 

June 25, 2003 8:51:59 PM

is anyone else disturbed by the free use of word "raped" when not referring to the crime? Maybe I'm too sensative but this sort of bothers me.

"Don't question it!!!" - Err
June 26, 2003 12:06:27 AM

Hmm, that'd be the first time I get that. Matisaro used to always say that, well actually "ass-rape" was his word. It just means you destroyed royally the other.

--
June 26, 2003 2:47:13 AM

I hate people like you, if you played a game called ultima online you would know why
June 26, 2003 3:11:52 AM

Hate is too strong a word brotha. Do you hate people like me too? Should I be playing ultima online as well?

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman
June 26, 2003 5:52:13 PM

I'm well aware of what it means in the context here but rape isn't a matter to be taken lightly - I'm far from the PC police but I've also known people personally who have been raped so maybe the word has a bit more meaning to me...

June 26, 2003 8:30:31 PM

Indeed that is why. Which is why I just can't prevent myself just for you. If that were the case, I'd have to cut so many words just for others, likely that even the word "capitalistic" will start getting some freaks off. Sorry that it did, nonetheless, but it's a forum and there is always one person who may take offense in something someone says.

--
June 26, 2003 8:44:04 PM

You can feel that way if you want but I think people who use terms like this in a public setting are being immature and low class. Using the word "rape" in this way is no better (maybe even worse) than swearing. You can say plenty of things to offend me that are perfectly acceptable to say in public (political opinions for example) but I feel this crosses the line. I thought you above this sort of thing. I suppose I am just disappointed.

June 26, 2003 9:27:08 PM

But he wasn't trying to personally offend you, or even talking to you specifically, which is why you need to stop overreacting
June 26, 2003 10:49:29 PM

Post deleted by nikola
June 26, 2003 10:53:41 PM

I mearly brought up the fact that I feel the word is being used in too free a manner and that I don't see how people can think it's appropriate for a public place.

June 26, 2003 11:05:26 PM

This may sounds dumb but, AMD im sure is trying its best to keep up, but they think of affordability right? sort of?? So AMDs naming scheame was created to aline its slower speeds with Intels faster speeds? Well i give it to AMD for even being a few clicks behind a 3.2gig (23x133 MHz),
cpu when its speed is at 2.2gigs(2200 MHz, 11x200 MHz)
. I may be wrong but i guess the only thing i can find wrong is that AMD jumped the gun with the name 3200, but i guess there will always be those who see the actual numbers rather than the $$$ in saving.
-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.
June 26, 2003 11:37:28 PM

Um you're wrong.
At 3200+, its price is higher than the 2.8C, which in MANY cases is higher performing.
Assume you get a 2.8C, you also get Hyper Threading. Not just that but you can overclock this CPU.

Forget it, the 3200+ is a crap performer compared to the Intels and in fact has absolutely NO value compared to them.

--
June 26, 2003 11:48:16 PM

I stand corrected, but hey the crap works for me. Good thoughts tought ,but id rather spend the money on the crap and pay less in the crap suppoerted mobo than pay the same amount for the intel board as i did the intel chip. My post was ment to be over all. Value has many diffrent meanings to diffrent people. I'm not agaisnt intel i just dont know how to save well enough to get one.

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.
June 27, 2003 12:26:40 AM

Hi for all.My primary system is:Amd 1600+ @ now 1900+.
Unlocked multiplier.Home made soldered with wires.
Worked thru microscop.

Tested to 2100+.Many THANKS TO TOMS HARDWARE!.And i put lover cpu voltage to 1.70v.Stable as rock.

Geforce2 mx200 overclocked 175@220Gpu 166@190memory.
512-ram.
20g hdd.
Hewlett Packard cd writer 8200+.
Sony cdrom52x.
Planet 10/100 network adapter on Ipx/Spx Cross link.
Web-cam.
Printer.
Scanner.
Btc optical mouse.

Seconddary computer:My bruther Pc

Intel celeron 366@412.
128 mb ram.
geforce 4 mx440.
2 GB Hd.
52X LG cdrom.
Planet 10/100 network adapter on Ipx/Spx Cross link.

And MY SYSTEM ITS NOT FOR BRAG.

Well as u see my sistem seams "old".BUT that im proud abaut my self,i throw 300$ in last 2 years.

Reancety i buy :amd 1600+: qdi kinetiz 7e-a.

Well its make no sense for me to buy an ultra fast"cost" personal computer.Olny if small firma nedet it.As for big firma like Mercedes they use office pcs connected to network for simulate tests,craches,ext.And if pepople got alot of money why not to buy a,$Sun Microsystem$.As for the "NORMAL"people like me that we dont have lot money we haweto bild oun system.

Well own system hawe some advantages like not give the money to the shops to bild they system.With this money you cant buy bether component.Like i by used 1y,256mb sdram winking memory module for 15$.

Well what is i try to tell you guys, you wait a litle while ,you dont pay all services, stores takses, blah, blah.

I use for home use like gaming emails web creativity,cds,mp3s,"audio"alot of prgorams and games.

Well my first computer whas 386.Now this my computer its 7ht.You wount belive i give 5000 $ of this all years started since 95 till now 03.

As i recaled some guys by pc for 5000$.With 3000$,guys by one and half year of pcs power.

Retencly i wrote to nvidia guys to make smaler lenght drivers size.Like Geforce3 1 driver.Geforce4 2 driver forthis series of olny Geforce4!

Who have rivatnt and win98 with 64 mb ram and guy will put 15mb LLOONNGG newest driver??

Not yust that,speed!Well try put,install win 3.1 @ your system.
Well u gonna beat world record,im convinced it will 1 or less second to load windows 3.1.Well small & fast.
Like ati have paks of drivers & controll panels wery smart "small" move.
Well i hope some those tips and my words give you,some beter life.Nikola

appeal St_Nikolaus
June 27, 2003 12:47:34 AM

raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped raped

<b> You Can Do Anything As Long As You Say "Just Kidding" Dept.:</b>
Sorry, couldn't resisit. I see your point, however, and the answer is "no, probably not."

Regards,

Dave

Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away.
June 27, 2003 12:57:07 AM

I read with enthusiam your creation, now I would like to add a comment.

I find that one of the major deficencies in the usaul round of benchmarks such as 3dmark is its total lack of I/O, such as mouse and keystrokes from peripherals. In fact I have tried to OC my system in many ways and run such things as online games, the critical point comes when the lag builds and your video has to slow with all the I/O creating a backlog, its then when the Video or CPU seems to crash.

Anyway my 2 cents worth so where is the simulation for I/O in these benchmarks?
June 27, 2003 1:23:38 AM

Ok there its no such big diference from intel and amd by Perfroramce.Ewery year its 1 time stronger pc like last year.Hmm good old 486s power load for cpu 5 W..Im from eu and sorry baut my bad english.

appeal St_Nikolaus
June 27, 2003 1:58:38 AM

But that is what I just said. The Intel CPU that rivals and kicks the 3200+'s ass, costs less.
In fact the whole total CAN be less:
-P4 2.8C
-Intel i865 motherboard at less than 100$.
-512MB DDR400

All of these together make for LESS than the XP3200+ system.
So if you saved well, you're losing with the AMD system.

--
June 27, 2003 2:17:49 AM

Missing the point, Intel is the best bang for your buck. But those who of who put together a sub par 'losing' AMD system do so b/c of $$$ or b/c of practicality of usage. The 3200 is irrelevant to what my point was. nay not what the thread called for buy a point.

Tim

June 27, 2003 3:51:36 AM

If you did mean the low end AMDs then I totally agree of course. But high-end, forget it, any Intel has more value IMO. (save for the 3.2)
Ayay, the 3200+ is 200$ CDN more than the 2.8C at my local shop, aye caramba!
Mobo difference is about -10$ for the P4 i865. I am surprised the P4 mobos of such are so cheap priced lately, considering Intel chipset mainboards are often more expensive. It's cheaper than the Granite Bay and the 845PE.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 06/26/03 11:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 27, 2003 9:00:59 AM

nikola:
Two points:
<b>Return Key</b> and <b>Space bar.</b> I suggest you start using them before people's eyeballs drop off.

The bad english isn't a problem - Juin's is worse! :lol: 
Just break it up with some paragraphs...

But anyway, back to the topic....
AMD should never have released the 3200+, clocked as it is. They should have either released it as a different PR number (difficult, as everything up to 3000+ had already been released), or it should have been clocked at 2.4Ghz or thereabouts.

Granted the higher speeds would have meant lower yields, but only idiots would buy a 3200+ now, considering that it loses so clearly to Intel, and Overclockers are never going to buy the top-end chip from anyone..

I really hope A64 turns out better than I think it will - we need some stiff competition for Intel, just to keep the industry healthy & prices down.

Just my opinion...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
June 27, 2003 4:16:55 PM

Post deleted by nikola
June 27, 2003 4:26:10 PM

I have absolutely not understood what you just said sir.

--
June 28, 2003 12:38:09 AM

What are you trying to say? That I'm a wacko for purchasing such expensive stuff? I'm sorry, but computers is a big interest of mine, so is computer games, thus I want to buy hardware that's capable of high-resolution in those games. Is that so hard to understand?

And, I do have a good life already, thank you.

June 28, 2003 2:55:34 AM

16K uOPS Trace Cache (HT will definitely benefit, though I don't know if 3 uOPS per clock is sufficient

each 4 Kbytes got there own link so as hans say Presscott will support 4 operand fetch per cycle vs 3 for northwood.

Most journalist was not in a hurry to say wich pipeligne is now longer.(official paper)

On P3 to support SMT maybe but most of latest change in the core was made to use SMT as is the key to future generation of performance.

A point that most have skip is the ampility to drain 100 A from socket T wich is a enormus amount of current.There sould be a reason for that even a montecino will not use all this current to lock the transistor.

[-peep-] french<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 06/27/03 11:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 28, 2003 7:21:21 AM

Well its make no sense for me to by an ultra fast"cost" personal computer.Olny if small firma nedet it.As for big firma like Mercedes they use office pcs connected to network for simulate tests,craches,ext.And if pepople got alot of money why not to by a,$Sun Microsystem$.As for the "NORMAL"people like me that we dont have lot money we haweto bild oun system.Well oun system hawe some advantages like not give the money to the shops to bild they system.With this money u cant by bether component.

I wrote this on this forun.And noone its craisy for me.
And if i hurd someones feelings i take my words back.

Read all abaut it in forun- 3.2GHZ is out, AMD raped badly

All that i wrote in this forun its MY POINT OF WIEV.My opinion.

appeal St_Nikolaus
June 28, 2003 8:48:39 AM

Took a giant such as intel so long to beat little amd.. i find it pathetic. I don't think the differences between the cpu lines are large enough that i'd really be proud of intel.. kind of sad for them. Do people realize the astronomical size difference between intel and amd. I'm not a huge techhead but 800mhz fsb, all this hoopla about hyper threading.. give me a break.
If the P4 was an efficent cpu it wouldnt need 3ghz to beat a 2ghz athlon with a design reaching back to what, 1998?

If people want to use intel and be lame they should join the sheep and buy a POS dell and watch dancing disco techies with joe consumer.
Now THATS taking it up the a$$ if you ask me.

Nerds take this crap way to seriously, I seriously doubt myself, or most people would need a PC faster than my 1700+ system. But then again most nerds TALK about a 3.2ghz cpu, and will not, do not, pony up the dough.

Those who do, probably also drive large pick up trucks, I think its just to many signs of overcompensation for a undersized manhood.
If I were to build a computer today, it would be a 2500+ barton, we're talking a $80 processor and performance and overclockability that makes the price look pretty sweet. And like I said earlier, your wasting your money nerds when your looking up star wars forums with a 3.2 ghz p4.

/steps down from soapbox

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
June 28, 2003 9:12:25 AM

Nikola good points in this thread but cash spent limits the power of your purchase, so if you're rich you're rich if you steal you steal, it never gets ahead.
June 28, 2003 9:38:09 AM

Ok, I'm sorry if I overreacted. But to me it sounded like you were trying to bash us who like to buy "powerful" computer parts. If you were just trying to express your opinion, then I'm sorry, I took it the wrong way.

But all I was trying to say was that we all have our priorities, I have paid quite some money on my stereo and computer, as I'm pretty interested in those things. But I do have lots of other interest, and sometimes, they have to be put back when I'm upgrading my computer, which we all know, is surely not inexpensive. But I'm doing it because I enjoy having one of the latest CPU's, or graphics cards, etc, because I play lots of games especially.

But again, if you only meant to express your opinion, then I'm sorry for overreacting like I did. I have my priorities, and you have yours. That's perfectly acceptable :) 

!